PDA

View Full Version : I got a Logitech G25 and now even Undercover is fun

TheManko
12-25-08, 06:35 PM
A couple of weeks ago I started watching Top Gear and it really made me want to get a racing wheel. Until then I had used my 360 controller for years thinking that it was just fine but boy was I wrong. With the G25 all racing games have been completely transformed and now seem to have many more layers of depth to the gameplay than before. I always played with automatic shifting with the 360 controller, but since the G25 has a H shifter I started using manual by default instead and since I got it I have spent a shocking amount of time replaying all the racing games I have since it's like playing them for the first time again.

It's only recently that I have gotten used to playing with 900 degrees of wheel turning + manual shifting and boy is it fun. Undercover for example is now great fun because you're pretty much turning the wheel frantically all the time since it goes so fast later in the game. I'm probably driving a lot worse as a result, but it's more challenging and more rewarding as well because as I'm getting better it just feels nicer when I do go through corners cleanly. I also rediscovered NFS Porsche and I find it to be strangely relaxing to play in a way that no other racing game does. It's just slower and doesn't try to provide any sort of "action" racing like all the later (or earlier for that matter) NFS games did. It just feels like you're going for a nice drive while being challenged to break and turn properly instead of having fast reflexes.

The most important thing the wheel has taught me is the fun in simply driving cars, because now I finally "get" the simulators since I can with the wheel actually drive somewhat properly in Race 07 and BMW M3 Challenge which I have also tried. Having never played any Gran Turismo game properly I kind of really want to play GT 5 Prologue now, but I don't have any consoles. A friend has a ps3, so I'm really looking forward to him taking it over here so we both can experience the game in a new light.

All in all I'm very happy I bought the wheel as you can probably guess.

Noriega
12-25-08, 06:38 PM
Wheel yes it's the only propper controller in racing games for me. You should try GTR evolution, GT Legends or rFactor :P

TheManko
12-25-08, 06:42 PM
Yes I'm planning on trying them out, because now suddenly graphics doesn't mean nearly as much to me in a racing game as it did when I was using the 360 controller. I feel that the G25 should almost be mandatory for racing games, because using the 360 controller is like playing Guitar Hero without the guitar.

Bman212121
12-25-08, 07:00 PM
I feel that the G25 should almost be mandatory for racing games, because using the 360 controller is like playing Guitar Hero without the guitar.

That's a pretty good way of putting it. I can drive pretty good with a controller but the wheel just works a lot better.

I kind of really want to play GT 5 Prologue now, but I don't have any consoles. A friend has a ps3, so I'm really looking forward to him taking it over here so we both can experience the game in a new light.

I've played GT5:P, GT:HD, and GT:4 with a Logitech Driving Force Pro. They all work really well. :) GT5 is the only one that officially supports the G25 IIRC. I think you can use the H-gate properly on it as well. I just use the paddle shifters on the DFP and it is a lot of fun.

Another game for the PC that you might be able to find cheap now is Test Drive Unlimited. It has a lot of flaws in the multiplayer portion, but for single player it would be a lot of fun.

TheManko
12-25-08, 07:06 PM
Yeah I have had Test Drive Unlimited for a very long time and finished it a long time ago. Sadly my old save is gone, so I had to play from the beginning with the G25 but it's also much more fun now. I was pleasantly surprised by the great G25 support, because it supports both the clutch pedal and the H shifter. Even better it also uses either the paddle shifter or H shifter depending on the car you're in! Since I have never actually driven an actual car using the clutch drove me nuts, so I haven't played it very much, but I plan on doing so probably without manual clutch. I have found that using the clutch pedal as handbrake works great in all games.

EDIT: I actually have plenty of racing games, but the wheel just made me appreciate them much more. Some games like Grid and Dirt are just impossible for me with 900 degrees of turning because you have to react and turn so quickly, but it's nice that with the 200 degrees turning (driver default BTW) the G25 lines up perfectly with how the character turns the wheel in all racing games I've tried so far.

Something that pissed me off is the non-existant wheel support in GTA 4. I remember Mafia had terrific wheel support, so it made me upset when I couldn't remap accelerate and brake to the pedals. By default the wheel actually turns the cars in the game, but accelerate/brake are mapped to the buttons on the wheel and you can't change it argh. The pedals move the camera view up and down instead. It's probably possible to remap it with the driver software or something.

sMull
12-25-08, 08:06 PM
Don't wast a wheel like that on such a piece of crap like Undercover, seriously. Grab GTR2, GT Legends, GTR Evolution, Richard Burns Rally and you'll be hooked.

TheManko
12-25-08, 08:25 PM
While I'm playing Undercover I'm getting used to the wheel and H shifter, so when I'm done with it (which will be soon) I'll go play those games. I tried out the demos and they were really hard, but also fun since I did many laps when I was just trying them out. For someone who doesn't even have a drivers license the learning curve is really steep, so pardon me if I play some simpler games first.

Koko56
12-25-08, 08:33 PM
A couple of weeks ago I started watching Top Gear and it really made me want to get a racing wheel. Until then I had used my 360 controller for years thinking that it was just fine but boy was I wrong. With the G25 all racing games have been completely transformed and now seem to have many more layers of depth to the gameplay than before. I always played with automatic shifting with the 360 controller, but since the G25 has a H shifter I started using manual by default instead and since I got it I have spent a shocking amount of time replaying all the racing games I have since it's like playing them for the first time again.

It's only recently that I have gotten used to playing with 900 degrees of wheel turning + manual shifting and boy is it fun. Undercover for example is now great fun because you're pretty much turning the wheel frantically all the time since it goes so fast later in the game. I'm probably driving a lot worse as a result, but it's more challenging and more rewarding as well because as I'm getting better it just feels nicer when I do go through corners cleanly. I also rediscovered NFS Porsche and I find it to be strangely relaxing to play in a way that no other racing game does. It's just slower and doesn't try to provide any sort of "action" racing like all the later (or earlier for that matter) NFS games did. It just feels like you're going for a nice drive while being challenged to break and turn properly instead of having fast reflexes.

The most important thing the wheel has taught me is the fun in simply driving cars, because now I finally "get" the simulators since I can with the wheel actually drive somewhat properly in Race 07 and BMW M3 Challenge which I have also tried. Having never played any Gran Turismo game properly I kind of really want to play GT 5 Prologue now, but I don't have any consoles. A friend has a ps3, so I'm really looking forward to him taking it over here so we both can experience the game in a new light.

All in all I'm very happy I bought the wheel as you can probably guess.
GTR2 can be astonishingly good. Try it. ;) As for just "driving" the BMW M3 challenge is quite good for that, as you can sort of "cruse", fast in it. :D
Yeah I have had Test Drive Unlimited for a very long time and finished it a long time ago. Sadly my old save is gone, so I had to play from the beginning with the G25 but it's also much more fun now. I was pleasantly surprised by the great G25 support, because it supports both the clutch pedal and the H shifter. Even better it also uses either the paddle shifter or H shifter depending on the car you're in! Since I have never actually driven an actual car using the clutch drove me nuts, so I haven't played it very much, but I plan on doing so probably without manual clutch. I have found that using the clutch pedal as handbrake works great in all games.

EDIT: I actually have plenty of racing games, but the wheel just made me appreciate them much more. Some games like Grid and Dirt are just impossible for me with 900 degrees of turning because you have to react and turn so quickly, but it's nice that with the 200 degrees turning (driver default BTW) the G25 lines up perfectly with how the character turns the wheel in all racing games I've tried so far.

Something that pissed me off is the non-existant wheel support in GTA 4. I remember Mafia had terrific wheel support, so it made me upset when I couldn't remap accelerate and brake to the pedals. By default the wheel actually turns the cars in the game, but accelerate/brake are mapped to the buttons on the wheel and you can't change it argh. The pedals move the camera view up and down instead. It's probably possible to remap it with the driver software or something.
GRID was a bit crap with the wheel... I either I could not set it up correctly or it's just not "wheel-friendly". Either way, it's too arcady I guess you could say, to benefit from a wheel. If anything would make it worse even, same would go for NFS:U for me.
Don't wast a wheel like that on such a piece of crap like Undercover, seriously. Grab GTR2, GT Legends, GTR Evolution, Richard Burns Rally and you'll be hooked.
Well, a few "harsh" words there, but to bring out the true colors of that wheel, indeed - GTR2/GTL/RBR would all be astonishing. Well, GTL I found to be good, but GTR2 gives me the most out of all of them. One other game you could try is iRacing. A monthly subscription would cost about $20 and that will give you 2 cars and a few circuits. Don't be put off by that though, as the game can allow for some incredible racing with real people. As you go along you will be able to buy other cars and circuits. With real money that is. :o However the accuracy of that game surpasses the rest of the current simulators by what could be said quite a bit.

Soetdjuret
12-25-08, 09:20 PM
kongratz... u just shrinked your wallet by 300 dallar dallars! and a lill dallazsalat ;)

crainger
12-26-08, 06:18 AM
I'd love a G25. I still have my Momo though. It's wearing out though. So maybe a G25 soon. ::D:

Koko56
12-26-08, 07:01 AM
Congrats, the G25 is an awesome wheel.

You should try iRacing, like Koko56 mentioned. The (force) feedback you get in this sim is unparalleled. You can really feel the car and the G25 adds a lot to that.

Games like CRAP, I mean GRID, or the NFS series are simply not made for a wheel like that. Those games are best played with a gamepad IMO.

:wonder:

TheManko
12-26-08, 07:51 AM
I tried playing Grid some more with 200 degrees of turning and with steering linearity set to 0 in the game it's now very playable. Even if arcade racing games are made for gamepads they're still a lot better with a wheel because all the Codemasters and NFS games do have force feedback and Pro Street even has support for the manual clutch! Note that even the G25 can't make Pro Street very fun to play, but all those other games are much better now.

I actually still think that Grid is a very fun game because with all the driver assists off you have to drive carefully not to spin out while it's still very forgiving since all the cars have extremely good brakes. Something that is kind of crap in Grid though is the fact that the AI doesn't seem to have any driver assists off when the player does, so I have to play on the easiest difficulty setting to not be crushed by the AI.

Koko56
12-26-08, 10:07 AM
GRID can be very fun and it does offer a lot of "racing". One thing that makes grid a bit ":(" for me is that some cars have unpredictable handling. Quite hard to tell what the car is going to do next - the handling could be called "on rails" and I sometimes can't figure when the car might come off them and require correction. :p

john19055
12-26-08, 10:52 AM
I been wanting a G25 but they are to high for me ,I keep hopeing they will go down in price,meanwhile I will keep useing my Logitech MoMo force feed back,It is a 240 degrees wheel ,not like the 900 degrees of the G25 wheel.It it adjustable to lower degrees ,

sMull
12-26-08, 11:08 AM
While I'm playing Undercover I'm getting used to the wheel and H shifter, so when I'm done with it (which will be soon) I'll go play those games. I tried out the demos and they were really hard, but also fun since I did many laps when I was just trying them out. For someone who doesn't even have a drivers license the learning curve is really steep, so pardon me if I play some simpler games first.
Actually controlling cars (in these simulations and in real life) is a very simple task, it's going fast that's the problem. Shedding time off your best lap and keeping the car in control is the challenge and is tons of fun. League racing is just phenomenal. My advice, disable all driving aids in the games, they will only hinder you, they are designed for keyboard users and maybe gamepad users.

Koko56
12-26-08, 12:38 PM
Actually controlling cars (in these simulations and in real life) is a very simple task, it's going fast that's the problem. Shedding time off your best lap and keeping the car in control is the challenge and is tons of fun. League racing is just phenomenal. My advice, disable all driving aids in the games, they will only hinder you, they are designed for keyboard users and maybe gamepad users.

You could also try to gradually decrease the driving aids. Whenever you feel that the challenge is decreasing disable an aid of your choice and see how it goes. Gradually it would be the best to get rid of all, apart from auto-clutch maybe! :p

Once you start to "feel" the car without aids it might start to feel "cheap" having them on any longer. :)

ATOJAR
12-26-08, 01:12 PM
I have the Logitech Formula Force EX wheel, not to bad ... a mid range wheel with good force feedback, looks & feels very nice ... just bought it the other day along with ToCa race driver 3.

FastRedPonyCar
12-26-08, 02:42 PM
I just got a PS3 and prologue today. The wife has approved the purchase of said G25.

Is there anywhere that sells it cheaper than newegg's $265???

LurkerLito
12-26-08, 07:15 PM
Check google:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=202884646&listingid=34457941&dcaid=17902
http://www.jr.com/logitech/pe/LGI_963416/
http://www.provantage.com/logitech-963416-0403~7LGTC96X.htm

Other cheaper places but I never ordered from them before:
http://alrightdeals.com/Item.htm?Id=S2_Games_PS2___LOG9634160403
http://www.wiredzone.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=32011017