PDA

View Full Version : Doom II

methimpikehoses
12-26-08, 08:01 PM
I'm without my gaming PC this week (at relative's), and decided to fire up Doom II to kill time, and it's been a great blast from the past. I bought with the id package on steam a while back. I think I'm getting close to the end, but I forgot how tricky some of the puzzles were.

-tons of weapons
-good variety of enemies
-tons of levels
-good sound
-clever puzzles
-lots of "secret" areas

Good stuff if you can stand looking at the dated gfx (1995). :)

crainger
12-26-08, 08:12 PM
Don't forget the lightning Rod to defeat the Golem.

NarcissistZero
12-26-08, 08:19 PM
I still love Wolfenstein 3D but have a hard time getting into the old Doom games... don't know why.

I have never even played Quake or Quake 2, which might not be true for much longer as I just bought the ID pack on Steam.

grey_1
12-26-08, 08:59 PM
I'm without my gaming PC this week (at relative's), and decided to fire up Doom II to kill time, and it's been a great blast from the past. I bought with the id package on steam a while back. I think I'm getting close to the end, but I forgot how tricky some of the puzzles were.

-tons of weapons
-good variety of enemies
-tons of levels
-good sound
-clever puzzles
-lots of "secret" areas

Good stuff if you can stand looking at the dated gfx (1995). :)

DOOMSDAY!
http://www.doomsdayhq.com/

Use it! Adds 'jump', better graphics, great launcher etc. Well worth it.

methimpikehoses
12-26-08, 11:02 PM
Hehe, I keep pressing spacebar to jump. :lol:

edit: does it work for you when you try to apply high res? (1680x1050, I get some OpenGL error)

Eliminator
12-26-08, 11:26 PM
make sure to get at least gldoom.... it will look a lot better

jAkUp
12-27-08, 12:22 AM
I still play Duke 3D from time to time, games back in the day were so simple easy to jump right in and start blowing stuff up :p

TheANIMAL
12-27-08, 07:30 AM
Z-doom is better, it replaces all the sprites with polygons and adds higher res textures.

CaptNKILL
12-28-08, 07:03 PM
Z-doom is better, it replaces all the sprites with polygons and adds higher res textures.

Eh, I prefer the sprites. The look and feel of the game changes way too much with 3D models.

I usually use Doom Legacy when I play Doom or Doom 2. Its probably outdated but it works great.

methimpikehoses
12-28-08, 08:55 PM
I'm actually enjoying it as-is. I thought I was almost done, but I'm only on level 24 out of 32. :headexplode:

:D

bob saget
12-29-08, 05:23 AM
fun stuff....great memories.....

NaitoSan
12-29-08, 06:32 PM
Me too, I prefer DOOM games as is. I hate those fan-made high resolution textures. Either they are cheaply done or re-scaled, covered with cheap photoshop filters. Most 3D models look terrible. I'm still waiting for DOOM II to hit XBLA. DOOM on XBLA was awesome, I'm surprised how smooth the control was.

Right now I'm playing Duke 3D on XBLA. Awesome game. :D

grey_1
12-29-08, 06:34 PM
I'm actually enjoying it as-is. I thought I was almost done, but I'm only on level 24 out of 32. :headexplode:

:D
You still have a ton of custom WADs to play afterwards. Some of which are very, very good.

http://www.doomwadstation.com/

methimpikehoses
12-29-08, 07:00 PM
It's funny, I remember some of the levels very well, and others not at all. I guess it must be the ones I was stuck on back in '96. :o