PDA

View Full Version : Monolith blames loss of F.E.A.R. fans on expansions

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
12-29-08, 07:09 PM
Monolith's Dave Matthews, primary art lead on F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin, has told CVG that F.E.A.R. expansions and console ports have likely cost the series some fans.

TimeGate Studios' F.E.A.R. expansions Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate received lukewarm critical receptions, while Day 1 Studios' PS3 and 360 ports of F.E.A.R. didn't quite match up to Monolith's original PC version.

In a recent interview we put it to Matthews that the non-Monolith developed F.E.A.R. products likely introduced a number of new people to the brand.

"And killed off a few," was his response, suggesting Monolith has a bit of work to do in attracting some punters back to the series.

"[TimeGate] took the story in a direction that we didn't intend," he added. "We look at Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate as an alternate universe, a 'what could have been', and because of that it doesn't necessarily diminish the story that we were trying to tell. F.E.A.R. was about Alma, F.E.A.R. 2 is about Alma, and we wanted to continue the story the way we originally intended."

Matthews also promised that the 360 and PS3 versions of Project Origin will be much closer to their PC counterpart than was the case with the original F.E.A.R..

"Now we're handling all three versions, we've changed our development structure to develop all three SKUs simultaneously and there's no lead platform," he said. "While there will be some slight variations between the different versions, so if you're on PC you can push some things further, our main goal is to make sure the experience is synonymous across all three platforms."

http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=204906

|MaguS|
12-29-08, 07:13 PM
It's true, the expansions totally screwed up the story for the game. I am glad they are considering them as alternate outcomes rather then the true story.

Bokishi
12-29-08, 07:20 PM
Perseus Mandate was garbage, it felt like a really bad mod

jcrox
12-29-08, 07:33 PM
While I like the original game, I really didn't care for the expansions at all :thumbdwn:

grey_1
12-29-08, 07:38 PM
I enjoyed Project Origin, but 5 minutes into P.M. I was feeling really ripped off.

looking forward to FEAR 2 as much as any other game due out soon.

saturnotaku
12-29-08, 07:41 PM
Extraction Point was boring as all get out. Perseus Mandate was a little bit better.

nekrosoft13
12-29-08, 07:41 PM
I enjoyed Project Origin, but 5 minutes into P.M. I was feeling really ripped off.

:headexplode:

|MaguS|
12-29-08, 07:43 PM

huh?

LORD-eX-Bu
12-29-08, 07:43 PM
maybe it was because it wasn't that great of a game to begin with? :thinker:

nutcrackr
12-29-08, 08:08 PM
i didn't mind extraction point, heard Perseus was garbage. Fear was overrated anyway.

|MaguS|
12-29-08, 08:08 PM
F.E.A.R. was awesome. I loved the original game, still do. Yeah it doesn't do anything revolutionary but it still accomplishes its goal very well and the AI offers atleast a challenge without being cheap.

Mr. Hunt
12-29-08, 08:14 PM
What does a terrible musician have to do with FEAR?

crainger
12-29-08, 08:17 PM
huh?

grey_1 is from even further into the future than me?

SH64
12-29-08, 08:26 PM
True. i didnt even play Perseus Mandate ..

NarcissistZero
12-29-08, 09:32 PM
The expansions didn't harm the game for me, since I never played them. Looking forward to FEAR 2 a lot though... developer is being slightly paranoid, if it's a good game, people will buy it.

TheManko
12-29-08, 10:07 PM
I may have a dubious taste in games, but I really enjoyed Perseus Mandate. Extraction point was like a low budget version of Fear and was kind of crap, but Perseus Mandate was just so absurd and over the top that I loved it. It obviously had even less of a budget than Extraction Point, but gameplay wise the levels were great. The story, acting, graphics and sound were pretty much garbage in Perseus Mandate, but the new enemies and the sheer amount of them really appealed to me. Fears "core gameplay" or whatever you call it is just fantastic and that's what they did right.

Since I guess some people care about graphics, sound, writing and acting I can see why some people might be scared of playing Fear 2 for the wrong reasons. All I'm afraid of is that they do all that other stuff right and don't get the gameplay right, but I kind of trust Monolith after years and years of great games, so I'm there on release day.

Noriega
12-29-08, 10:53 PM
The expansions didn't harm the game for me, since I never played them. Looking forward to FEAR 2 a lot though... developer is being slightly paranoid, if it's a good game, people will buy it.

I only played demo versions but they got me bored enough so I forgot about full versions.

Lfctony
12-29-08, 11:26 PM

You mean you played Extraction Point, yes?

TheManko
12-30-08, 06:11 AM
He probably means Perseus Mandate since he calls it P.M. later in the sentence. I would guess that most people would feel ripped off 5 minutes into Perseus Mandate because it starts very badly and takes like 20 minutes to get good. But after that it's 5 more hours of great stuff!

Ywap
12-30-08, 07:10 AM
I loved both expansions, Timegate did a good job imo. I think lots of people was put away by the bland start of Perseus, but the game got really good after that.

Ywap
12-30-08, 07:12 AM
He probably means Perseus Mandate since he calls it P.M. later in the sentence. I would guess that most people would feel ripped off 5 minutes into Perseus Mandate because it starts very badly and takes like 20 minutes to get good. But after that it's 5 more hours of great stuff!

Ahh, i didnīt really read your post before i posted myself, sorry.

As you can see by my post above, i totally agree with you :)

LordJuanlo
12-30-08, 07:43 AM
Got Extraction Point and played 1 hour, couldn't go on. Didn't bother with Perseus Mandate

nekrosoft13
12-30-08, 07:45 AM
EP wasn't that bad, PM really felt like a bad mod.

grey_1
12-30-08, 11:49 AM
huh?

:wtf:

I meant Extraction Point..was thinking of Project Origin.

LOL - I R getting old :o

bacon12
12-30-08, 12:02 PM
Tis ok grey and is expected from our errr senior members occasionally. :p