PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Beta leaked

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

nekrosoft13
01-09-09, 02:13 PM
Depends on the system. I for one found the 64-bit version to be faster, as did many other users in this thread. :)

found the same thing, 64bit is running faster over here as well.

six_storm
01-09-09, 02:16 PM

I totally agree that it depends on the system, but my laptop isn't much to scream for. I'll just stick with 32-bit for now. Maybe I'll upgrade my copy of Vista x64 with W7 x64 down the road.

Koko56
01-09-09, 02:23 PM
Well quite a few people are running more than 4Gb and even if you don't use the extra ram it's much wiser to use it as a ram disk for web caches etc instead of it being of no use at all. Hell you could even install games on it if you go the 12 GB route. ;)
Is not RAM volatile? :wong:
MSDN.

I'm gonna have to d/l the 32-bit version since my guinea pig laptop only has a Core Duo, not a Core 2 Duo so it's not a 64-bit CPU.
I would assume that Core Duo would be 64-bit as the desktop Core Duo CPUs seem to be, but Core Duo mobile is not 64-bit capable. Oh wells.
While this is true, there is much less of a lagged feeling in games in W7. Much more like Windows XP even though this doesn't seem to be measurable. That was one thing about Vista I could not get over, games just felt mushy with the input lag being so noticable.
When I installed Vista on and IDE HD and even made a thread about how terrible the experience was (overall, not just games) I did get a lot of "input lag" I guess in Crysis. Like when I pressed the suit modification button I got about 0.5s delay, maybe even for all of the controls. :afraid: but I don't recall much input lag when I installed a proper version properly on a SATA 2 HD, and overall it was a lot better than the nightmare I've had on that IDE install. :p

EDIT№2: http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=11410&tag=nl.e539 - just saw that earlier today and remembered about it from an e-mail news letter from ZDnet. Some civil discussion going on below, or rather saying how useless the blog entry is... +/- a few fanboys/douches here and there of course. :p

LovingSticky
01-09-09, 03:50 PM
windows 7 retail keys? what store would sell beta software?

Well, it -does- say RETAIL on MSDN ;)

http://hosting04.imagecross.com/image-hosting-18/3664win7.jpg (http://www.imagecross.com/)Image Hosting (http://www.imagecross.com/)

Toss3
01-09-09, 04:13 PM
Is not RAM volatile? :wong:

Yeah but it creates a shadow copy every time you restart windows(takes a while longer though). :)

mailman2
01-09-09, 08:37 PM

How the hell would you know??? You never ran the x86 bit version of Windows 7. Jeezus. You act like some authority with your limited knowledge, you kill me sometimes. :headexplode:

Koko56
01-10-09, 05:39 AM
How the hell would you know??? You never ran the x86 bit version of Windows 7. Jeezus. You act like some authority with your limited knowledge, you kill me sometimes. :headexplode:

Or did he? *questionface*

crainger
01-10-09, 06:50 AM

I'm running both, 64bit is faster

EXCEPT

I'm running 64bit on Q6600 and 32bit on P4 3.0Ghz. ::jumping::

Toss3
01-10-09, 08:19 AM
I'm running both, 64bit is faster

EXCEPT

I'm running 64bit on Q6600 and 32bit on P4 3.0Ghz. ::jumping::

Are you using chrome - because on my system it just keeps crashing(runs perfect without flash installed)? :headexplode:

I HATE ADOBE FLASH!

Koko56
01-10-09, 08:41 AM
I have not had any problems with Flash...

BTW - dling 64-bit version now. From MS server.

mailman2
01-10-09, 09:04 AM
Are you using chrome - because on my system it just keeps crashing(runs perfect without flash installed)? :headexplode:

I HATE ADOBE FLASH!

Know issue, use the LAST version of flash, NOT the latest and it's fine.

mullet
01-10-09, 09:52 AM
GO HERE TO GET A KEY. I got a key in 1 second.

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/01/10/psstheres-how-to-get-your-windows-7-beta-key

Koko56
01-10-09, 10:29 AM
GO HERE TO GET A KEY. I got a key in 1 second.

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/01/10/psstheres-how-to-get-your-windows-7-beta-key

It loaded a bit slowly at first but in the end I got to view the page.

Well, thank you good Sir, I am just in the process of installing W7 64-bit onto my P. Thanks yo!

EDIT: Wait... so what seems like a legit ISO from the MS site... brought up the error that I've got with the 2 previous downloads? Hmmmmm. Any suggestions on what's going on?

Specs, just on case: E6600, 2GB DDR2 RAM, Seagate 7200.10 320GB (for the W7 beta, clean install) and an 8800GTX.

EDIT#2: Getting the 32-bit version now from a MS server. Hopefully I will be able to install it this time... might wanna do a full format on the 320GB HD.

EDIT#3: Well, I have W7 installed onto my PC and one of the first things I've tried t odo was to open as many windows as fast as I could to make it slow down, or freeze for a bit. Ya... as if. :p

The only "gripe" was that I've moved documents into music and the other way around - that changed the views and Icould not figure out how to change it back to the default view and there were no system restore points. So I just created a new profile. :o

Although I've used W7 for only a few minutes now, I am kind of "wow'd"...

nekrosoft13
01-10-09, 02:35 PM

what the hell is your problem, windows 7 build 7000 x86 leaked first einstein

Koko56
01-10-09, 02:54 PM
Guys, guys... what's going on?

This new messenger is quite different in layout, that's for sure.

EDIT: I've installed W7 onto one of my HDs. When I'm in W7 it does not see the other HD, the one that Xp is installed onto. Also when I choose to boot from the HD with W7 on there is a message three-capital-letters-something - is missing. I have to use the XP drive as the first one and then it brings up a message "Earlier VErsion of Windows" or Windows 7...

Wonder why that is?

DRen72
01-10-09, 10:13 PM

what the hell is your problem, windows 7 build 7000 x86 leaked first einstein Yeah, I tried the 32-bit version last week myself then dumped it for the 64-bit this week. So nekrosoft13 is right dude. Chill.

mailman2
01-11-09, 12:36 AM
what the hell is your problem, windows 7 build 7000 x86 leaked first einstein

Oh I know I've been running since the time it came out. Quick par is dog ass slow still in x64. So are most CPU intensive apps. Games are the same in either. I dont know what you are testing but x64 is still slower than x86 with native x86 apps, which most anything worth a **** is still x86.

Phyxion
01-11-09, 02:49 AM
Oh I know I've been running since the time it came out. Quick par is dog ass slow still in x64. So are most CPU intensive apps. Games are the same in either. I dont know what you are testing but x64 is still slower than x86 with native x86 apps, which most anything worth a **** is still x86.
We've had this discussion before and it WAS a NO and it IS a NO.

Koko56
01-11-09, 05:15 AM
So, are you guys arguing over which version is faster for you? :/

redviper
01-11-09, 08:12 AM
It is almost impossible for the x64 version to be slower than the x86 version. The tiny tiny overhead of thunking will be nothing compared to the advantage of having more GPRs. The only issues you can have with performance on x64 is bad driver optimizations but I think they have mostly gone away. And the advantage of using the additional memory (even as a cache) will be huge (even 700 MB as someone mentioned earlier).

This is not to say its not possible. I am running x64 and x86 W7 side by side (different specs though) and I don't feel any difference (subjectively).

DRen72
01-11-09, 09:40 PM
...I am running x64 and x86 W7 side by side (different specs though) and I don't feel any difference (subjectively).I tried the 32-bit Windows 7 followed by the 64-bit version. I did extensive tests with both and at least on my rig I've come to the conclusion that the 64-bit version is a bit snappier, yet it does seem that it boots a little slower.

zoomy942
01-11-09, 09:44 PM
i agree. i installed 64bot tonight and it does seem snappier. getting the HP braodband stuff installed was a pain though.

MUYA
01-11-09, 09:56 PM
Erm..sorry guys, I have installed the beta version of Win 7 that was available for download. Could I ask, where can I get drivers for my Audigy2 for win7 64 bit? Will a vista 64 bit driver from Creative work?

zoomy942
01-11-09, 10:50 PM
Erm..sorry guys, I have installed the beta version of Win 7 that was available for download. Could I ask, where can I get drivers for my Audigy2 for win7 64 bit? Will a vista 64 bit driver from Creative work?

the vista ones should work yeah. i had to use vista 64 drivers for my HP broadband and my hard drive acceleramoter

six_storm
01-11-09, 10:55 PM
i agree. i installed 64bot tonight and it does seem snappier. getting the HP braodband stuff installed was a pain though.

What are the specs of the machine you are running in on zoomy?