PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Beta leaked

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Shamrock
12-29-08, 09:50 PM
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=13802

One major point of criticism that is echoed by virtually all reviewers is the new OS X-like taskbar. Reviewers fault not concept, but the implementation of it, which sees Microsoft allow program shortcuts to lump together with running tasks to create a hard to decipher mess. Paul Thurrott, a strong Microsoft supporter describes, "For all the niceties of the new taskbar, this comingling of different functions is a whopper of a mistake, and one that will actively harm most Windows users."

crainger
12-30-08, 12:43 AM
This new 7000 build is meant to be pretty stable and usable.
I might try it out.

DRen72
12-30-08, 10:23 AM
The crazy OS X-like taskbar may get revamped by Beta 2, at least I hope so. I can already tell that I will be setting mine up to behave like Vista's since that is fortunately an option. I don't like the idea of icons on the taskbar like Windows 7 default.

Given the relatively good state of Windows 7 at this stage, they have plenty of time to work out kinks before RTM. Overall I'm impressed enough to upgrade when its released.

TheOneAndOnly
12-30-08, 12:01 PM
The crazy OS X-like taskbar may get revamped by Beta 2, at least I hope so. I can already tell that I will be setting mine up to behave like Vista's since that is fortunately an option. I don't like the idea of icons on the taskbar like Windows 7 default.

Given the relatively good state of Windows 7 at this stage, they have plenty of time to work out kinks before RTM. Overall I'm impressed enough to upgrade when its released.

I like the icon concept (Ive already modded my vista install for the same thing), but I don't like that they lumped the taskbar icons in with the open app icons.

Toss3
12-30-08, 03:29 PM
This new 7000 build is meant to be pretty stable and usable.
I might try it out.

I'd give it a shot too if it weren't for the fact that the 64-bit version is still unavailable.

npras42
01-03-09, 03:09 PM
I'm testing this out now. Mainly because of the updated Media Center, but even without that I have to say I'm really impressed. I've always been kinda pro-Vista - always thought despite its various faults it was an improvement on XP - but this is excellent. I haven't done any gaming and to be honest thats the least of my worries.

A stable, clean and responsive OS with well thought out features is very important to me however and up till now I've had very little to moan about. NVIDIA drivers work fine, Audigy2 drivers work fine. My network is up and running.

The new taskbar in my opinion is an improvement. I can understand why it sounds a bit weird to mix taskbar items and icons (I read Paul Thurrot's take on it and he makes sense when he bashes it), but it works pretty seamlessly if you ask me. I'm still using ObjectDock, but now I only have 5 icons on it. Everything else goes on the taskbar. I have no problems differentiating between open windows and those just sitting idly on the bar. The open ones have big boxes around them!!!

Zelda_fan
01-03-09, 03:19 PM
got a question. What nVidia driver are you useing with Windows 7?

I just installed the 7000 build myself, and I like it a lot, but I'm wondering if I should stick with the default microsoft driver, or if nVidia has a beta out for Windows 7 yet?

npras42
01-03-09, 03:34 PM
I've not exactly got a great graphics card in this HTPC system (GeForce 6800GT) but I'm just using the Vista 32-bit drivers available at the NVIDIA website - 178.24. Works fine for me...

Zelda_fan
01-03-09, 03:52 PM
yeah, the nvidia vista x32 drivers are way better than the default microsoft drivers. Aero runs a lot smoother. I'm really liking Windows 7. Think I'm gonna stick with it as my main OS.

mailman2
01-03-09, 05:26 PM
Im using 185.20 in Windows 7 7000. This build just rocks, blows away Vista by a mile and XP too :)

Playing COD WAW, L4D, GTA IV, FC2 all run great!

This is going to be the OS to have.

BTW I disabled all the pinned crap and just setup my own Quick Launch. I'm not a fan of the new large icon'd taskbar with the pinned feature. I prefer my Quick Launch still.

mullet
01-03-09, 06:18 PM
I don't like the taskbar at alaah.

Toss3
01-03-09, 06:36 PM
Just "upgraded" to Windows 7 32-bit and it's definitely an improvement over vista! Everything is much faster; installing applications and changing settings is a breeze.

A must try for everyone! :captnkill:

Zelda_fan
01-03-09, 07:37 PM
I don't like the taskbar at alaah.

you can change it so it's like Vista or XP. But I like it a lot better. A lot more like the Object Dock on Mac OSX. A lot easier to organize what windows you have minimized and maximized.

This OS is incredible. Already way better than Vista and it's only a beta build. I'm keeping it until the next beta or RC hits.

mailman2
01-03-09, 07:42 PM
you can change it so it's like Vista or XP. But I like it a lot better. A lot more like the Object Dock on Mac OSX. A lot easier to organize what windows you have minimized and maximized.

This OS is incredible. Already way better than Vista and it's only a beta build. I'm keeping it until the next beta or RC hits.

I can't wait to see some die-hard Vista fans reactions. Truth be told, Vista was garbage - but Windows 7 is amazing. :afro2:

Toss3
01-03-09, 07:42 PM
Rofl I got a 6.0 WEI score - gonna be tough to reach 7.9! :D

Shamrock
01-03-09, 09:33 PM
You guys on Win7 32 bit, can you use more than 3gb ram?

Toss3
01-03-09, 09:41 PM
You guys on Win7 32 bit, can you use more than 3gb ram?

nope - would be impossible. :) You could use the extra GB for a ram disk though!

crainger
01-03-09, 11:43 PM
Only Bigman uses RAM disks.

zoomy942
01-04-09, 01:45 AM
i installed it on my tablet (yes, im still using ubuntu on my workstation and my wife's tablet) and i must admit im impressed. its very responsive and polished - even in this beta stage.

crainger
01-04-09, 06:19 AM
Change your avatar now zoomy?

Toss3
01-04-09, 06:28 AM
Change your avatar now zoomy?

Crainger you have to try windows 7 - even if it means less ram! It's amazing how much more polished a beta version can feel over a full fledged os. And that even zoomy thinks it's awesome already says something! ;)

Toss3
01-04-09, 02:49 PM
IMPORTANT: To those who want to try out Windows 7 - MAKE SURE TO INSTALL YOUR DRIVERS AS ADMINISTRATOR(right-click -> run as administrator) you'll otherwise run into a lot of problems.

mailman2
01-04-09, 03:42 PM
IMPORTANT: To those who want to try out Windows 7 - MAKE SURE TO INSTALL YOUR DRIVERS AS ADMINISTRATOR(right-click -> run as administrator) you'll otherwise run into a lot of problems.

Huh? I didnt install them with Admin rights. I have no problems.

Zelda_fan
01-04-09, 03:47 PM
Huh? I didnt install them with Admin rights. I have no problems.

yah, same here. But for the most part Windows 7 detected all of my hardware. The only thing I installed was new graphics drivers.

mailman2
01-04-09, 03:49 PM
yah, same here. But for the most part Windows 7 detected all of my hardware. The only thing I installed was new graphics drivers.

The default sound drivers wouldnt let me play COD WAW, they were old too. Updated those and installed the 185.20 betas from Nvidia. Also installed the intel chipset drivers.