PDA

View Full Version : Problems with games.

bob saget
12-31-08, 04:00 AM
Over the last probably 14 months, I have had problems with games crashing to BSOD and crashing to desktop. Mostly, it was just SOURCE engined games, and even those would sometimes crash, and sometimes work for hours, so i didnt bother changing the driver because i had many problems with this (changing driver) before, and i was happy when it started working at least some of the time.
The only games that never crashed would be Dead Space and STALKER SoC.

This evening i try to play cod4, and after about 4 minutes, the game crashes to desktop. This is very frustrating. This happened 5 or 6 times.

This is what i have installed for graphics ATM, dont know if it helps or not.....

Microsoft visual C++ 2005 redistributable
OpenAL
163.69 drivers (i know these are very old, but they seemed to be the only ones that worked).

Can someone list the items that are solid for running games, and the process by which to get rid of my current stuff.

Thanks alot as always.

wollyka
12-31-08, 11:25 AM
i had a similar problem with my other system (Asus NF4 SLI+ 8800 GTX). I updated mobo bios to the latest + nforce driver+ sound drivers+ Geforce drivers to 180.48 + latest Rivatuner for fan control and until now the problem seems fixed.. Don't know exactly which step fixed it btw...

bob saget
12-31-08, 04:29 PM
just played 5 rounds of cod4, no crashes *wtf*, so i really dunno what to do.....
was hoping to get some more input....

ikjadoon
12-31-08, 06:50 PM
Have you tried the latest drivers?

Games crashing to the desktop can be caused by overheating (tried lowering the OC on your GTS 640MB?) or bad drivers, from my experience. Try taking your side panel off and running the games...

How are the CPU/GPU temps?

~Ibrahim~

methimpikehoses
12-31-08, 07:02 PM
+3 for drivers

Bman212121
12-31-08, 07:17 PM
just played 5 rounds of cod4, no crashes *wtf*, so i really dunno what to do.....
was hoping to get some more input....

Take two sticks of ram out of your pc and see if it continues to crash. Leave the ones in slots 2 and 4 in as that is the preferred slots. I've had a lot of issues trying to get 4 sticks of OCZ PC3200 2-3-2-5 Platinum sticks working on my board. On the DFI-expert it simply will not see all 4 sticks at one time. They are the exact same sticks of ram but I bought the pairs at two different times. In my gigabyte board it will allow me to see all 4GB of ram and boot into windows, but the system was having all kinds of issues with the network card. Took two sticks of the ram out and everything worked fine.

It might just be the controller because I am using an older 3800+ X2, but it's possible your issues could be related.

bob saget
12-31-08, 08:10 PM
Take two sticks of ram out of your pc and see if it continues to crash. Leave the ones in slots 2 and 4 in as that is the preferred slots. I've had a lot of issues trying to get 4 sticks of OCZ PC3200 2-3-2-5 Platinum sticks working on my board. On the DFI-expert it simply will not see all 4 sticks at one time. They are the exact same sticks of ram but I bought the pairs at two different times. In my gigabyte board it will allow me to see all 4GB of ram and boot into windows, but the system was having all kinds of issues with the network card. Took two sticks of the ram out and everything worked fine.

It might just be the controller because I am using an older 3800+ X2, but it's possible your issues could be related.

i have had alot of problems with RAM on this board: my NIC would quit working as soon as i enabled the memory remapping feature (or w/e its called to allow for more than 4 gigs.)
I updated the bios though, and it fixed the problem.
My graphics card is always been in the 45-60 range, so i hear that is alright.
But thats actually a very good point, i have had much less crashes with 2 gigs. I prefer however to keep 4 gigs, and somehow try something else, maybe another driver.....Any version that has shown stability? Plus i would also need to download some driver cleaning program right?

bob saget
12-31-08, 08:12 PM

HOLY ****!!!!!!

maybe i should read your whole post before i reply. Exactly my issues. Thanks:)

ATi
01-01-09, 09:59 AM
working now?