PDA

View Full Version : my system

scubes
01-01-09, 05:39 AM
well things arent as smooth cos imm STILL gettin this LOCKUP,S coming outa CRYSIS im outa of ideas here now maybe the bfg isnt compatible with the expertvision card i dono..
anyone with with a similar prob can shed some light on this??.

specs

intel quad core 9450 @3 gig
xfx 780i (po8 bios)
bfg o\c2 280 gtx core clock 650mhz memory data 2326mhz shader clock 1404(top slot)
xpertvision 280 gtx core clock 602mhz memory data 1107 shader clock 1296
hitachi 400 gig sata
samsung 400 gig sata
samsung dvdr
hp cd writer
3 gig crucail ballistix
coolermaster stacker nvidia edition case(3 noctuas on the side door one on the top of the case)
saitek eclipse keyboard
razpr copperhead mouse
thermaltake 1500 watt psu.

plz some of yur gurus with sli give me yur ideas if any .....

its just not crysis now which i uninstalled :( its call of duty 4 and oblivion now this is happing ..come on ppl i value yur opinionson this plz...

saturnotaku
01-01-09, 08:59 AM
Try swapping the two video cards so the one with the lower clock speed is in the top slot.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee
01-01-09, 05:21 PM
I thought SLIed Cards had to be practically identical.

JasonPC
01-01-09, 06:46 PM
You might have to try clocking the cards like the lower clocked card. If you are running the OC2 card in the first slot then it's running both cards at that higher clockspeed. Like saturnotaku said you can swap slots or you can use a program like Rivatuner to manually underclock it.

scubes
01-02-09, 07:51 AM
its even freezing on the desktop now for no reason what so ever this is very weird ive never had anything like this before to be honest...

Bman212121
01-03-09, 09:32 PM
What driver version are you using? What processor do you have and what is that running at?

Also, what kind of ram is that. Since you have 3GB I'm assuming it's 2 x 1GB and 2 x 512MB?

scubes
01-04-09, 01:49 PM
my ram is crucial ballistix 3 1 gig sticks @ present im using foreware 177.92 i cant remeber wot nforce drivers im using my cpu is sitting @ 3 gig . ive tried resetting to defaults and it makes no diffference wot so ever im thinking the cards arent compatible.

heres alink to the ram im using..

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-093-CR&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=&name=Crucial%20Ballistix%202GB%20(2x1GB)%20DDR2%20 PC2-8500C5%201066MHz%20Dual%20Channel%20Kit%20(BL2KIT1 2864AA106A)

jcrox
01-04-09, 02:36 PM
If both cards are the same GPU and same amount of memory on the cards it's highly unlikely that its the GPU's.

First thing I would try is running with only 2GB of memory. Using 3 slots on a Dual-channel motherboard can give some strange results.

4GB of memory really is preferable over 2GB for SLI.

scubes
01-05-09, 04:33 AM
thank you for the replys keep em coming im gonna try 2 sticks tommorrow im still using win xp. both cards on there own are perfect its just when i use sli its locks up only for a couple of seconds then it comes around but ill will try what you say with 2 sticks of ram.... thanks...

scubes
01-06-09, 04:51 AM
well after changing my drivers yesterday the the 185.20 i never had a problem all day and it was spent gaming(oblivion cod 4 and cod5 and pure not one lockup wot so ever.now today might be a different story so here goes gonna play some games. i dont think the installer installed the physx software cos its not in add remove prgs everything is default in the drivers. ill report back later....

UPDATE had a nv4 display error 2 mins into oblivion rebooted after that all is fine.

john19055
01-06-09, 09:11 AM
Which ever card you put in the first slot is the speed both cards will run.If you put the BFG in the first slot then both cards will run at the default speed of the BFG.If you put the xpertvision 280 gtx in the first slot then that is what both cards will run.I have a BFG GTX 280OCX clocked at 666/1458/2400 and my other BFG is just a plian one clocked at 602/1296/2216 ,but I made sure that my plain BFG would overclock to the speed Of my BFG GTX 280 OCX and it worked perfect at 666/1458/2400,so I put my fastest card in slot one .If you keep haveing problems then you will need to put the slower card in slot one and you can use RivaTuner to over clock them to get the best speed out of them .The easest way would be to put you xpertvision 280 gtx in slot one by itself and run RivaTuner to see how far it will overclock without any problems .Then you could put you BFG back in in the secound slot and then you will know where they need to be set at when overclocking.

scubes
01-06-09, 01:36 PM
i have my expertvision in slot 1 and the bfg card is in slot 3 as i said above i changed my drivers havent had a locpup in a while just anv4 display error but after reboot its fine thanks for the reply keep em coming i dont sue riva tuner havent overclocked a card in years lol...

xorbe
01-10-09, 05:41 AM
try removing a card. if that doesn't help, try underclocking system ram or cpu, etc. find the source of the instability. try memtest86+. i have a failed pair of crucial ballistics in my desk drawer.

scubes
01-10-09, 06:44 AM
thank you for the replys keep them coming.:) im putting crysis back on to test for instabilitys just to be sure. its the hardest game on my system i reckon.ill report back later....

well after running the crysis benchmark for a good while i came back and it was all crashed played the game for a bit and it locked up coming out of it with the pc not responding for a couple of seconds....and i thought the problem was fixed:(...

scubes
01-13-09, 02:08 PM
well i formatted my system hoping to get ride of the lockups swapped my ram around fresh install of windows i though might have fixed the problem but when playin oblivion after about a hour or so the pc completey freezes up and the only way to fixed that is to reset if now ive took the bfg card out this is really dissapointed for me because of the money i have spent on this system ill not be going sli gain after the trouble ive had with this ill never buy a tri sli mobo again or any nvidia chipset....

newls1
01-13-09, 06:33 PM
well i formatted my system hoping to get ride of the lockups swapped my ram around fresh install of windows i though might have fixed the problem but when playin oblivion after about a hour or so the pc completey freezes up and the only way to fixed that is to reset if now ive took the bfg card out this is really dissapointed for me because of the money i have spent on this system ill not be going sli gain after the trouble ive had with this ill never buy a tri sli mobo again or any nvidia chipset....

Dont take this the wrong way, but I dont think your issue is SLi related nor Nvidia related. I think your problem is YOU! First and for most, DONT USE ODD NUMBER OF RAM. 3GB means 2x1GB, and 2x512mb sticks. NO NO... This was told to you many posts ago, and it seems you didnt try it. You have your system running with a little OC? Anyone can OC, but making it stable is a different story. I'll bet you a months paycheck, more then 75% of your BIOS settings are more then likely set to "AUTO" That is another NO NO..... You must predefine your settings with actual voltage numbers. Also, if possible swap PSU's with something else to see if it still happens

Remove your 2x512mb sticks (or you might be using 1 1gb stick, which is even worse!) and just use your 2x1GB sticks, and make sure your ram is running @ actual speed there designed for, no oc at all right now. Then run memtest for windows, and see if over an hours time, you get any errors. IF NOT THEN GO GAME WITH BOTH GTX280 CARDS INSTALLED. I'll bet your issue is memory related. If your still have lock ups, then use 1GB stick at a time to see which stick is causing the error (If it is mem related) These types of issues take time to figure out. You might have bought hardware that is to advanced for your PC knowledge. Once again, dont take me as an a*s, just being up front, and honest, and wanting to help

scubes
01-14-09, 10:12 AM
thanks for the reply i have tried just 2 sticks of ram the new problem is with both cards in @ once oblivion crashes and it locksup i never really got a chance to test it with the 2 cards in @ once becos of the crashing i havent got any 512 stick of ram just 3 1 gigers and one of them is out now i think in my bios my ram is set to 900 might be below spec my ram is 1066 id didnt think these mobo could run @ that speed my friend set it up for me cos im not to good with pcs lol ad it shows.. it was even going like this with my thermaltake tough power 850 watt thats why i got the 1500 version .

newls1
01-14-09, 10:34 AM
Your issue lies with in the bios settings, im sure....... with the nvidia chipsets (780i, 790i, 680i, etc..) you can run ram linked/synced/unlinked/ etc... Sometimes the mem controler doesnt like running a certain way, and you MUST find it out. I personally have never owned a 780/790/680 nvidia chipset, so I cant be precise with my wordings, but play within the bios settings to run your ram SYNCED/linked @ 1066 using 2.1vdimm. (by the way, what are you running for Vdimm voltages?) We can work at this, just takes time my friend.

scubes
01-14-09, 10:42 AM
cheers the the reply again mate i dont no what my voltages are but ill have a look and post them i dont want to fiddle with anything cos im not that pc great but ill have a look and post them here...

newls1
01-14-09, 10:52 AM
cheers the the reply again mate i dont no what my voltages are but ill have a look and post them i dont want to fiddle with anything cos im not that pc great but ill have a look and post them here...

crap, your whole issue might just be a simple Vdimm setting. Your ram may need @least 2.1V, but your setting it to auto, or maybe 1.8v. That will cause alot of instability.