PDA

View Full Version : Another 790i Ultra Freezing Thread, Please, Your Thoughts :)

Grechie
01-08-09, 05:41 AM
Please, before you read, note that it is alot to read, and id appriciate it if you's can get through it all and give me your opionion.

Specs:
Q9550 with noctua cpu cooler
XFX 790i Ultra SLI running latest 15.23 drivers
2X2GB Corsair XMS3 DHX (Tw3X4G1333C9DHX)
2 x 9800GTX
Thermaltake tough power 1200watt
Seagate 500GB HDD
Antec 900 with all fans possible

At first, i was quick to blame SLI for my freezes, but i have since learnt it had nothing to do with it.

I've done so much research on 790i freezes and i still yet havent found a fix for my problem, maybe someone here can shed some light.

In summary, my problem is, high resolutions with any AA, = freeze, which can be from 10 mins to an hr of gaming, to 2 hours. (1680X1050 and above) regardless of graphics card (happens quicker in DX10 games)

This is defently NOT a temperature issue, as ive monitored all temps and there all fine.

This is what ive tried to do to resolve the issue:

1 Updated to latest P08 Bios

2 Loaded Bios Defaults

3 Underclocked CPU/RAM

4 Disabled All Speed Step and C1E

5 Tried only 1 2GB stick, and in all slots,

6 Tried the other 2GB on its own, in all slots, and at different voltages,
underclocked and clocked normally (even tried more volts when underclocked)

7 Noticed i wasnt running correct mem timings so changed them to correct timings and repeated 5 and 6 all over again

8 Tried two 9800GTX's seperatly, and a 8800GT all seperatly and underclocked all of them and had there fan speeds all on full blast)

9 Purchased a thermaltake toughpower 1200watt to rule out my 650watt being the culprit

10. Unpluged ALL fans and external drives to rule out them & even installed XP on another drive.

11. Memtested each stick singly, and passed 14 times each with no errors.

12. Tried OVERVOLTING more then stable volts

13. Tried Upping CPU, CPU VTT, SPP and MCP volts but keeping system stock as a rock

14. Had no other programs running in the background.

15. Tried resorting to older BIOS's

16. Tried my graphic cards in a friends machine and looped benchmarks overnight and system was perfect.

17 Ran intel burn test overnight and system was stable in moarning

18. Ran P95 overnight and system was stable

19. Had extreme cooling going into the side of the case

20. different version sound drivers / no sound drivers

21. internet plugged in / internet unplugged

22. Reset CMOS multiple times

23. Tried pc on different power socket in different room / house (bit extreme i know)

What i havent tried is
older graphic card drivers (140.48 worked fine on my mates computer with my cards incl his)
different ram (why? memory passed all tests single and in dual chan)
different memory timings and so far thats all i can think of that ive missed but i dont think mem timings have anything to do with it because underclocked the timings went from 9 9 9 to 7 7 7

I can only think of it to be a compatibility issue with the G92 (8 & 9 series) or the board is borked, and i need to RMA it.

Is there anything else i can try ?

Please id love to know what else can be done.

Thank you for your time to read all this.

lee63
01-08-09, 05:52 AM
Have you tried a fresh install of your OS ? also try different GPU drivers.

Grechie
01-08-09, 09:15 PM
10. Unpluged ALL fans and external drives to rule out them & even installed XP on another drive.

Yep :)

Will try new drivers but i highly doubt they will fix anything as there stable on this card in mates machine

Pennyboy
01-14-09, 02:05 PM
Have you tried installing the nForce drivers without the Nvidia SATA driver bit?
Are you able to try different memory/CPU?

It could even be something wierd with your mobo. Because you have tried just about everything, my best guess is that it has to be something with them.

Bman212121
01-14-09, 04:20 PM
Do you have any other graphic cards available to test with? My friend's PC has a 680i board and an 8800GTS in it. It was having issues like that with the card where it would all of the sudden stop working here and there. I tried his card in my pc and it ran fine for as long as it was in mine. I threw my 8800GTX into his pc, no issues at all the whole time it was in his pc. I put his card back in and it magically worked fine for a day or so, then started messing up again.

I never found the cause of that as all of the sudden it just decided to stay working. I think it is some compatibilty issue with the G92 cards IMO, as my older G80 never once had a problem in his pc. The pc I used to test his G92 was an AMD based pc with a DFI-Expert board, so it wouldn't have the same stuff as a 6/7 series would. (It is based on NF4)

I would suggest maybe trying to flash your video cards with the latest bios. It's not offically supported but it might help. If you're interested this is the site to take a peek at for BIOS dumps. http://www.mvktech.net/

Muppet
01-14-09, 11:09 PM
Have you tried installing the nForce drivers without the Nvidia SATA driver bit?
Are you able to try different memory/CPU?

Good advice there. Quite a few had issues with the Nvidia sata drivers.

Pennyboy
01-15-09, 03:26 AM
Good advice there. Quite a few had issues with the Nvidia sata drivers.

I can remember when I had my old AMD nforce4 board i was having data corruption issues it took me ages to figure out that it was those horrilbe SATA drivers that were causing it.