PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Beta available 1/9/09

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10

Marvel_us
01-09-09, 10:02 PM
For anyone looking to get a key try this. I had to refresh like 100+ times and when I finally was about to give up they key came up.:D

http://blog.hznet.nl/2009/01/10/how-to-receive-a-valid-windows-7-key/

I was using Vista IE8.

Bman212121
01-09-09, 10:08 PM
Run the driver installer in Vista Compatiblility mode. Thats what I did and it works. However, surround sound with X-Fi cards is currently broken.

I figured out how to get surrond working. Go into the Vista sound panel. (Start, Control panel, sound) Then right click on speaker and do a test. Even though you changed it in Creative it didn't change it in windows. Once I did that the test worked fine.

Bman212121
01-09-09, 10:16 PM
Anyone have a DX11 program to test out? :D

http://i44.tinypic.com/2175n8.jpg

Overall this system seems to be pretty snappy right now. I'm sure the fresh install helps, but everything is pretty responsive. I'm installing Wic Right now and am going to run the benchmark in DX10 with SLI enabled to see if it runs.

Yaboze
01-09-09, 10:27 PM
Let me see, everything seems to be working except Creative sound cards...why am I not surprised? :captnkill:

Bman212121
01-09-09, 10:38 PM
Let me see, everything seems to be working except Creative sound cards...why am I not surprised? :captnkill:

Heh. It IS actually working though. You just need to enable compatibility mode because of the installer. 5.1 sound and all. :)

WIC on the other hand doesn't seem to like SLI. 2 hard locks later I disabled SLI and was able to bench it. Might either need to try DX9 / SLI or update the nforce drivers, as I haven't installed those yet.

Yaboze
01-10-09, 03:28 AM
Ok, I installed this (no key, just played around) on my old PC, AMD X2 box, Nforce 4, 8800 GTX, Audigy 2ZS, 2GB PC. This PC had a 7800 GTX in it but now it has my old pal, the 8800 GTX because I upgraded to a 4870.

Anyway, it was never great in Vista for me so I put a clean build of XP SP3 on it, my main PC is a Intel Quad at 3GZ, X-Fi, 4870, 4GB, Vista x64, blah blah, 5.9 on WEI.

So, I tried this on it and it got a 7.9 on the 8800 GTX for Aero, 5.9 for games, the rest was about 5.2, except the HD, which was 3.0. Ugh. It detected as the default SATA and the Nvidia drivers installs, but the driver for the SATA wouldn't update. I also had 4-5 PCI device errors in Device Manager, I have no idea what it was, because it detected the Audigy, maybe it was a daughter device from the card. I thought it might be the ATK thingie, that Asus installs, but it detected that and installed a driver for it. IE 8 seemed nice and UAC wasn't nagging all the time. I like how there are true "Themes" now, they have scenic backgrounds and the window transparency color changes with it. Nice. I tried a few games and they worked fine (just blizzard stuff I tested quick). I didn't go nuts with benchmarks because I really just wanted to see the OS itself.

It booted up and shutdown pretty fast, again, it didn't have the correct SATA drivers, but overall XP still felt faster. I just don't think the older Nforce AMD/Nvidia stuff is great for Vista/Windows 7. Anyway, I really liked it and I'm looking forward to release and getting it on my main box.

mullet
01-10-09, 10:51 AM
GO HERE TO GET A KEY. I got a key in 1 second.

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/01/10/psstheres-how-to-get-your-windows-7-beta-key

Yaboze
01-10-09, 11:18 AM
Worked for me! Thanks!
I will add that this only worked in IE 7 for me, not FF 3.05.

saturnotaku
01-10-09, 12:04 PM
Worked for me! Thanks!
I will add that this only worked in IE 7 for me, not FF 3.05.

Oddly enough, it didn't work for me in IE7 or FF 3.0.5, but it did on my work computer, which uses FF 2.0.0.1. :o

arise
01-10-09, 12:09 PM
:lol:

Who uses windows media player anyway?! It's a POS.

i do :)
plays AVCHD natively, no stupid 3rd party codec needed anymore.

Are you guys using latest Vista Nvidia drivers or simply the ones from Windows Update?

nekrosoft13
01-10-09, 03:02 PM
Anyone have a DX11 program to test out? :D

[I MG]http://i44.tinypic.com/2175n8.jpg[/IMG]

you still need dx11 hardware

pross
01-10-09, 03:44 PM
got my 64bit key :D gonna download now

Koko56
01-10-09, 05:37 PM
i do :)
plays AVCHD natively, no stupid 3rd party codec needed anymore.

Are you guys using latest Vista Nvidia drivers or simply the ones from Windows Update?

I'm using these (http://downloads.guru3d.com/GeForce-ForceWare-185.20-Vista-64-bit-download-2156.html) drivers for my 64-bit W7 install. I have not played any games on W7 yet - with any GPU drivers.

B0ne
01-10-09, 05:58 PM
Got this bad boy installed, gotta say, I'm impressed. 64 bit is smooth as silk, kicks vistas ass.

Installing Crysis now...

verncat
01-10-09, 05:59 PM
I'm using these (http://downloads.guru3d.com/GeForce-ForceWare-185.20-Vista-64-bit-download-2156.html) drivers for my 64-bit W7 install. I have not played any games on W7 yet - with any GPU drivers.

Call of Duty WAW would lock up my entire rig. It was the only game I tried. I used the 181.20 drivers on my GTX295. I have no idea what was causing it, but I went back to Vista for now.

Koko56
01-10-09, 06:05 PM
Call of Duty WAW would lock up my entire rig. It was the only game I tried. I used the 181.20 drivers on my GTX295. I have no idea what was causing it, but I went back to Vista for now.

You mean you deleted the W7 install or just went into Vista for CoD?

Also, 295GTX is kind of new...

ATOJAR
01-10-09, 06:09 PM
Somethings annoying me! ... see the task bar(below) when i start messenger and close it so its runnning in the backround it dont minimize to the lower right! ... it just stays over there on the left hand side, if i right click that and klick close window it shuts down messenger! ... anybody know of a way to i can get the messenger icon to be on the right hand side of the taskbar so its running in the backround like it used to with xp/vista?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/ATOJAR/w75.jpg

EDIT: Also just noticed that with CCleaner when cleaning the registry when scanning for issues and fixing the issues found, if you do another scan it finds exactly the same issues! ... CCleaner dont work!

Koko56
01-10-09, 06:28 PM
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=630 - did not read the article, but jus saw the title... it's almost like zdnet is against W7? :headexplode:

JasonPC
01-10-09, 06:41 PM
Those complaints are so petty. You get used to the changes that Vista made (which for the most part are inherited but improved in Win7). If you can't change with the times then you can keep your XP. I loved XP but it's fairly obvious why many of the changes were made to it. You get used to them quick. I'm liking Windows 7 so far but I feel like it is what Vista should have been.

nekrosoft13
01-10-09, 07:02 PM
EDIT: Also just noticed that with CCleaner when cleaning the registry when scanning for issues and fixing the issues found, if you do another scan it finds exactly the same issues! ... CCleaner dont work!

when ever a new OS is out, be very careful with stuff like registry scanners

Koko56
01-10-09, 07:03 PM
Those complaints are so petty. You get used to the changes that Vista made (which for the most part are inherited but improved in Win7). If you can't change with the times then you can keep your XP. I loved XP but it's fairly obvious why many of the changes were made to it. You get used to them quick. I'm liking Windows 7 so far but I feel like it is what Vista should have been.

*assumption*

So is that guy just talking about the UI being different and him not being used to it and feeling a bit frustrated and lost as a result? For example, when I tried Vista I also found the explorer changes a bit unfavorable, now however they are just fine and I can benefit from the new UI.

W7 does also have a slightly different interface to Vista and I'm not too at home with it , for now I guess.

Oh, another blog entry from that site that I read, and as you JasonPC said, this post could be put onto the same page, as this guys's "complaints" more or less imply that he does not understand what a "beta" is...

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=11410

EDIT: HA!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Look what I did:
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee55/Koko56/gdfgsdf.jpg

... this is while adding about 200 songs to a playlist, from the newly recognized 2nd hard drive. A few seconds later is was responsive. :p

Thought right now when I scroll down the list randomly and either start a new song or right click on it it does take a few seconds to respond.

ATOJAR
01-10-09, 07:24 PM
when ever a new OS is out, be very careful with stuff like registry scanners

Ahhh good point, suppose there will be alot of new registy keys in here that the older registry scanners wont recognize! .... possibaly try to delete and mess it right up?

Pixelsmack
01-10-09, 07:30 PM
Somethings annoying me! ... see the task bar(below) when i start messenger and close it so its runnning in the backround it dont minimize to the lower right! ... it just stays over there on the left hand side, if i right click that and klick close window it shuts down messenger! ... anybody know of a way to i can get the messenger icon to be on the right hand side of the taskbar so its running in the backround like it used to with xp/vista?

This behavior is part of the new "easy access" to running apps. You hover over and it lists in thumbnails everything you have running and open. It's taking some time to get use to but I like.

You can change this a bit by right clicking the Start Menu and editing the options.

Koko56
01-10-09, 07:31 PM
Hmmm... well WMP just seems to be slow for me. It's probably not running with the ideal configuration, but is not very responsive.

verncat
01-10-09, 07:33 PM
You mean you deleted the W7 install or just went into Vista for CoD?

Also, 295GTX is kind of new...

I had imaged my Vista 64 install to a spare hd. I just imaged it back onto my Areca raid 0 array and put the W7 disk away for now. I kinda suspected the lockup might have something to do with the GTX295, so maybe in a month or so I will give it another try.