PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Beta available 1/9/09

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10

Koko56
01-10-09, 07:38 PM
I had imaged my Vista 64 install to a spare hd. I just imaged it back onto my Areca raid 0 array and put the W7 disk away for now. I kinda suspected the lockup might have something to do with the GTX295, so maybe in a month or so I will give it another try.

So no W7 for you until then?

mullet
01-10-09, 08:09 PM
Installed ok, I was playing TF2 and all was good till I shut it down. Then guess what LOL. Seems ok I just hate the damn taskbar I hope there is an option in the final for a Vista theme.

nekrosoft13
01-10-09, 08:12 PM
Ahhh good point, suppose there will be alot of new registy keys in here that the older registry scanners wont recognize! .... possibaly try to delete and mess it right up?

that is a possibility, you never know

Koko56
01-10-09, 08:19 PM
Installed ok, I was playing TF2 and all was good till I shut it down. Then guess what LOL. Seems ok I just hate the damn taskbar I hope there is an option in the final for a Vista theme.

You can do this: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=34965&d=1231636671...

Someone might even make a Vista theme for the beta of W7 in the near future.

mailman2
01-10-09, 08:32 PM
Call of Duty WAW would lock up my entire rig. It was the only game I tried. I used the 181.20 drivers on my GTX295. I have no idea what was causing it, but I went back to Vista for now.

COD WAW runs great for me in Windows 7. Maybe it's the GPU, dunno.

JasonPC
01-10-09, 09:41 PM
I like the new taskbar with the option to make the icons smaller. They don't need to be that big for me.

verncat
01-10-09, 10:06 PM
COD WAW runs great for me in Windows 7. Maybe it's the GPU, dunno.

That's the only thing I could figure. I would have to bet it will be fine when a newer driver comes out for it, as it is very new. I can wait, as I have to travel for work for the next couple of weeks and won't be around to play with it anyway.

Shamrock
01-10-09, 10:38 PM
Anyone try a thumb drive? I had to use a thumb drive to move some files, because of W7's wacky networking. My DVD burner has pooped out, so I used a thumb drive to move files. When I was done with the thumb drive, I safely removed it from W7, but that didn't happen. It SAID it was safe to remove the drive, but the light was on the drive, and the icon in the bottom right wouldn't disappear.

I still absolutely can't stand the networking, or the Windows explorer options. I wanna see FILES not LIBRARIES!

But this is the last you'll hear of me about Win7, I received OpenSUSE today in the mail, and installed it (I used my file server for both installs, and need the files back).

Koko56
01-11-09, 07:20 AM
Anyone try a thumb drive? I had to use a thumb drive to move some files, because of W7's wacky networking. My DVD burner has pooped out, so I used a thumb drive to move files. When I was done with the thumb drive, I safely removed it from W7, but that didn't happen. It SAID it was safe to remove the drive, but the light was on the drive, and the icon in the bottom right wouldn't disappear.

I still absolutely can't stand the networking, or the Windows explorer options. I wanna see FILES not LIBRARIES!

But this is the last you'll hear of me about Win7, I received OpenSUSE today in the mail, and installed it (I used my file server for both installs, and need the files back).

Yeah, that is annoying - that you can't see the files how they are on the computer that you are browsing.

redviper
01-11-09, 09:17 AM
You can open any folder that you want (physical folder compared to the library). Libraries are just a convenient way of organizing your files.

If you drag the folder to the left pane onto favourites you can create a link to it (just like in vista).

Koko56
01-11-09, 09:49 AM
I wonder where have all the folder gone when you click your user name in the menu?

Downloads aren't there and a few others... it's also cluttered with some Messenger files and other stuff that I have no what it is and it would be better off being stored elsewhere as I never access those folder. :/

Same goes for Vista...

Need to get rid of the those redundant folders.

stefan9
01-11-09, 10:44 AM
Only issue for me is that win 7 rates my hard drive at 3 while vista rates it 5.7.:thumbdwn:

Tr1cK
01-11-09, 11:30 AM
Only issue for me is that win 7 rates my hard drive at 3 while vista rates it 5.7.:thumbdwn:

WEI = dumbest **** ever to be added to windows

XxDeadlyxX
01-11-09, 07:00 PM
Does Comodo and AVG 8 work with Windows 7?

Also does SLI work fine?

nekrosoft13
01-11-09, 07:35 PM
WEI = dumbest **** ever to be added to windows

it was a good idea, just not implemented well.

six_storm
01-11-09, 08:30 PM

This is one of the small changes I've noticed that resembles Mac OSX:

http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=34990&stc=1&d=1231723800

JasonPC
01-11-09, 09:15 PM
SLI works but I think the driver is a few versionds old or something because there is no multi-monitor support with SLI.

DRen72
01-11-09, 10:43 PM
it was a good idea, just not implemented well.A gimmick at best I'd say.

Koko56
01-12-09, 06:46 AM
This is one of the small changes I've noticed that resembles Mac OSX:

http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=34990&stc=1&d=1231723800

I would like it that made a bit clearer (better color scheme and stuff) and intuitive later on in W7, as now it seems to have a few "redundant" folders.

EDIT: or maybe not... maybe I just need to get used to it. but what's up with having favorites and downloads in the favorites? Dlds migth be better off in the "Libraries" folder for me from the very beginning.

XxDeadlyxX
01-12-09, 07:39 AM
SLI works but I think the driver is a few versionds old or something because there is no multi-monitor support with SLI.

Can anyone confirm? This is an important feature for me.

Wolken007
01-12-09, 07:41 AM

Is this true even when using the altest WHQL Nvidia 181.20 driver?

JasonPC
01-12-09, 05:09 PM
I haven't tried installing those drivers in Windows 7, I thought they were only for Vista? nVidia's site says to use the driver on Windows update which is version 179.23. And this is before SLI and dual screens were supported.

verncat
01-12-09, 05:15 PM
Well, I had issues on my first install of X64, but I just couldn't give it up yet, so I reinstalled it today again (fresh format). Before if I tried to play COD WAW, my entire system would lock up and I would have to hit the reset button to get it back up. But there was one thing nagging me about the initial install: I had yellow ! next to "System Interrupt Controller" on my X58 hardware. So, I reinstalled today and manually pointed the ! to the Intel install folder and drivers were installed for all of the missing ! (7 in all). I also used the 185.20 drivers. Now, I can game all day long in COD WAW. I'm not too sure which of those two changes fixed it, but one of them did. Awesome!

DRen72
01-12-09, 06:05 PM
Well, I had issues on my first install of X64, but I just couldn't give it up yet, so I reinstalled it today again (fresh format). Before if I tried to play COD WAW, my entire system would lock up and I would have to hit the reset button to get it back up. But there was one thing nagging me about the initial install: I had yellow ! next to "System Interrupt Controller" on my X58 hardware. So, I reinstalled today and manually pointed the ! to the Intel install folder and drivers were installed for all of the missing ! (7 in all). I also used the 185.20 drivers. Now, I can game all day long in COD WAW. I'm not too sure which of those two changes fixed it, but one of them did. Awesome!I'd put my $$$ on the X58 hardware drivers.

verncat
01-12-09, 06:19 PM
I am leaning that way as well.