PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Beta available 1/9/09

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

JasonPC
01-13-09, 01:09 PM
I installed the 181.20 Vista driver in Windows 7 and it seems to work much better than the one they have on Windows Update, plus it does support SLI and dual displays.

jcossin
01-14-09, 10:52 AM
I downloaded/installed Win7 64-bit over the weekend as a dual boot with Vista.

As far as the install goes, I was disappointed they still don't have built in drivers for the P35 chipset, but overall the install was super smooth.

I had to install my P35 Intel drivers using compatibility mode, but that was fine. I installed the 185.20 nVidia beta drivers and they seem to be working good so far, they even said Windows 7 on the splash screen when I installed them which is cool.

I have two issues currently:

1) I hate what they have done to My Documents/Music/Pictures. I run my OS on the C: drive and have all my files on the D: drive. In Vista, after I install, I can just right-click on My Documents/Music/Pictures each in turn, set the location to D:\My Documents, etc. And from there on all is good. For example, with iTunes it finds my music in D:\My Music\Itunes just fine after that. NOT SO IN Windows 7! I can ADD d:\My Music as another folder where I store music, but I still have C:\Users\MyUser\My Music out there as well as the public folder. So for iTunes, even though I add D:\My Music as a Music folder and set it to the default SAVE folder, iTunes is still trying to pull music from C:\User\MyUser\My Music and doesn't see any of the music in D:\My Music. NOT GOOD and this could be a show stopper from me staying on this beta.

2) Sleep mode is waking up for no reason? Under Vista I go to sleep and it stays asleep until I hit my spacebar. With Windows 7 my computer sleeps fine but sometimes I come in the room and it's just powered itself back on for no reason? Is there a new trigger that is causing wake from sleep or something?

Other than that, the built in DVD handling is slick, there seems to be way more codecs installed by default and IE 8 is working good.

yehuda
01-14-09, 02:09 PM
1) I hate what they have done to My Documents/Music/Pictures. I run my OS on the C: drive and have all my files on the D: drive. In Vista, after I install, I can just right-click on My Documents/Music/Pictures each in turn, set the location to D:\My Documents, etc. And from there on all is good. For example, with iTunes it finds my music in D:\My Music\Itunes just fine after that. NOT SO IN Windows 7! I can ADD d:\My Music as another folder where I store music, but I still have C:\Users\MyUser\My Music out there as well as the public folder. So for iTunes, even though I add D:\My Music as a Music folder and set it to the default SAVE folder, iTunes is still trying to pull music from C:\User\MyUser\My Music and doesn't see any of the music in D:\My Music. NOT GOOD and this could be a show stopper from me staying on this beta.

I think it's still possible. right click on the library, choose properties and then you can play with a few settings.
You can remove/add folders and I guess "set save location" is changing the default folder.

BLOODUK
01-14-09, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the tip. It sounds weird running in Vista compatibilty mode.

Just a word of warning , if you have an XFI Xtreme Audio don't bother installing windows 7 yet.

I've tried it and others have aswell , by the low chance you get it installed CMSS won't work. What happens is it either BSOD's your system or will show up as a ! in device manager , updating drivers from DM won't make any difference.

The problem is from what i've read is the drivers currently available are from APRIL the drivers for every other xfi card are late 2008. There are also some new XFI modded drivers out by DAN-K but even that wont do any difference as even he says " not Xtreme Audio ".

zoomy942
01-14-09, 04:35 PM
2) Sleep mode is waking up for no reason? Under Vista I go to sleep and it stays asleep until I hit my spacebar. With Windows 7 my computer sleeps fine but sometimes I come in the room and it's just powered itself back on for no reason? Is there a new trigger that is causing wake from sleep or something?

Other than that, the built in DVD handling is slick, there seems to be way more codecs installed by default and IE 8 is working good.

i bet its your network card waking up your PC from stand by, in your device manager, alot of devcies aere allowed to bring your PC back to wake.

jcossin
01-14-09, 05:07 PM
I think it's still possible. right click on the library, choose properties and then you can play with a few settings.
You can remove/add folders and I guess "set save location" is changing the default folder.

I have dug in that panel trying everything I can. I tried setting the save location to D:\My Music and still iTunes looks to C:\Users\MyUser\My Music. I tried deleting C:\Users\MyUser\My Music as a folder for music files and STILL iTunes looks to C:\Users\MyUser\My Music.

It's not just iTunes. I tried moving My Documents to D:\My Documents and moving around trying to get Fallout 3 to use the My Games folder in D:\My Documents and no matter what it always looks to C:\Users\MyUser\My Documents\My Games.

So if anyone knows a fix or work around, that would be AWESOME. I've done web searches on this and looked on Microsoft.com and can't find an answer...

jcossin
01-14-09, 05:07 PM
i bet its your network card waking up your PC from stand by, in your device manager, alot of devcies aere allowed to bring your PC back to wake.

I thought of that too. I looked in the power settings, but don't see any wake on lan to set to Disable. Do you know where I need to look?

zoomy942
01-14-09, 05:50 PM
is there a bios setting for wake on LAN?

Koko56
01-14-09, 06:05 PM
Wait, what did your avatar say?

GitDat
01-14-09, 07:47 PM
Is there a way to enable DreamScene? I want my fancy desktops back :afro2:

zoomy942
01-14-09, 08:16 PM
didt you install windows 7 ultmiate?

yehuda
01-14-09, 09:28 PM
So if anyone knows a fix or work around, that would be AWESOME. I've done web searches on this and looked on Microsoft.com and can't find an answer...

You need to right click on an empty spot in the windows explorer folder list, and check "show all folders".
Then you can see your documents folder like it was in vista and change the location.

mailman2
01-14-09, 11:08 PM
Is there a way to enable DreamScene? I want my fancy desktops back :afro2:

yup

http://keznews.com/5242_How_to_Install_and_Enable_DreamScene_in_Windo ws_7

ATOJAR
01-15-09, 09:24 AM
Here is a list of very useful tips and 'secrets' for Windows 7 put together by a MS employee, Tim Sneath, on his blog.

http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/2009/01/12/the-bumper-list-of-windows-7-secrets.aspx

Enjoy! Is an interesting read and some of these also work in Vista.

One thing that was annoying me was being unable to hide the MSN icon from the task bar, this fella got w woork around! :D

Hiding the Windows Live Messenger Icon. Hopefully your first act after Windows 7 setup completed was to download and install the Windows Live Essentials suite of applications (if not, then youíre missing out on a significant part of the Windows experience). If youíre a heavy user of IM, you may love the way that Windows Live Messenger is front and central on the taskbar, where you can easily change status and quickly send an IM to someone
http://blogs.msdn.com/blogfiles/tims/WindowsLiveWriter/Windows7Secrets_AC88/image_48.png
Windows Live Messenger appears by default on the taskbar.
On the other hand, you may prefer to keep Windows Live Messenger in the system tray where itís been for previous releases. If so, you can fool the application into the old style of behavior. To do this, close Windows Live Messenger, edit the shortcut properties and set the application to run in Windows Vista compatibility mode. Bingo!

tjohn
01-15-09, 10:21 AM
I am dual booting xp and vista now on separate hd's. Can I dump xp from one, install win7 and dual boot win7 and vista?

jcossin
01-15-09, 02:47 PM
You need to right click on an empty spot in the windows explorer folder list, and check "show all folders".
Then you can see your documents folder like it was in vista and change the location.

Thanks! This worked and it allows me to set the location of My Documents to my D:\ drive!

However, My Music, My Pictures and My Videos no longer have a tab to change the location!!!

I have worked around it for now by going directly into iTunes Preferences and changes the folder where it stores music to be on my D:\ drive. So I am good for now. I also played around with searching for "My Music" in the registry and replaced all references to "D:\My Music" and that worked! But I'm not sure what side effects might come of it, but it's a beta and installed on a second drive so I figure I have the liberty to play around and learn...

Also, I went into the network in control panel, right clicked on my adapter (boy did they hide the ability to get to my adapter) and found a setting to disable the wake on lan. My machine 'seems' to be sleeping Ok, now so I may be good with these two issues now!

GitDat
01-15-09, 02:49 PM
Still looking for the new method of disabling the preview of minimized windows when you hover the mouse over them. Distracting :thumbdwn: lol

GitDat
01-15-09, 07:28 PM
yup

http://keznews.com/5242_How_to_Install_and_Enable_DreamScene_in_Windo ws_7

Were you able to get that to work? I can't seem to :(

DRen72
01-15-09, 09:56 PM
I am dual booting xp and vista now on separate hd's. Can I dump xp from one, install win7 and dual boot win7 and vista?Yes, thats what I am doing right now.

tjohn
01-16-09, 08:15 AM
Yes, thats what I am doing right now.

Thanks! :)

Bearclaw
01-17-09, 05:20 PM
A screen from my latest install:

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/234/windows7sp2.jpg

ATOJAR
01-17-09, 06:49 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/ATOJAR/Win7.jpg

wollyka
01-17-09, 09:38 PM
anybody getting a low score on the Hdd sub-score in the WEI? i am getting a 2.9 using a new formatted seagate barrucuda 500 GB (ST350063)? all my other score are fine above 6.0 except this?

XxDeadlyxX
01-17-09, 11:24 PM
anybody getting a low score on the Hdd sub-score in the WEI? i am getting a 2.9 using a new formatted seagate barrucuda 500 GB (ST350063)? all my other score are fine above 6.0 except this?

Pretty sure it's because Windows 7 has much better support for SSD, so W7 things normal HDDs are sh*tteh :D

mailman2
01-18-09, 12:33 AM
http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/1929/89661185ym7.jpg