PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Beta available 1/9/09

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Delbert
01-18-09, 04:58 AM
anybody getting a low score on the Hdd sub-score in the WEI? i am getting a 2.9 using a new formatted seagate barrucuda 500 GB (ST350063)? all my other score are fine above 6.0 except this?
Same on my seagate barrucuda 250 GB.
Only installed it yesterday. So far all seems okay, although i had to hunt for drivers for my wireless network card ( Abit Airpace ).
Never tried Vista, but so far liking Win7 over XP.
Now for some gaming...:D

wollyka
01-18-09, 07:38 AM
Pretty sure it's because Windows 7 has much better support for SSD, so W7 things normal HDDs are sh*tteh :D

most probably :p

Delbert
01-18-09, 09:36 AM
Is there a frame rate cap in Win 7 ?
Noticed Freelancer ( i know it is old, but still one of the best space games ) wont go above 75fps ( 1600x1200, 8xAA, 16xAf etc ). In XP i get 170+fps. Same settings in NVidia CP etc.

Koko56
01-18-09, 09:40 AM
Is there a frame rate cap in Win 7 ?
Noticed Freelancer ( i know it is old, but still one of the best space games ) wont go above 75fps ( 1600x1200, 8xAA, 16xAf etc ). In XP i get 170+fps. Same settings in NVidia CP etc.

Refresh rate? Vsync?

Delbert
01-18-09, 11:08 AM
Refresh rate? Vsync?

Checked all of those. Hence the question. Exactly the same settings as under XP... but 100fps less ( using fraps ).... ???? ( BTW still on CRT :D).

Koko56
01-18-09, 11:34 AM
Checked all of those. Hence the question. Exactly the same settings as under XP... but 100fps less ( using fraps ).... ???? ( BTW still on CRT :D).
No ideas then I guess...

Buio
01-19-09, 06:46 AM
No there is no cap, so the problem lies somewhere else. Either beta drivers or something with the game. I've got over 100fps in some older games in Windows 7.

Koko56
01-19-09, 06:52 AM
Hmmm... W7 now runs a bit slow for me and lacks response.

*sadface*

Delbert
01-19-09, 08:03 AM
No there is no cap, so the problem lies somewhere else. Either beta drivers or something with the game. I've got over 100fps in some older games in Windows 7.

yep... starting to think it is the 181.20 drivers forcing Vsynch on even though i have disabled it.
What drivers are others using?
One good thing about the Beta is that i can now see what the DX10 fuss is all about ( never having used Vista )... just ordered Bioshock, Crysis, Warhead etc etc etc....

Bearclaw
01-19-09, 11:59 AM
Hmmm... W7 now runs a bit slow for me and lacks response.

*sadface*

Every once in a while it will lock up for about a second. Nothing big though. Being a Beta, I expect this. That's why we test it. :)

zoomy942
01-19-09, 12:50 PM
is anyone using readyboost? from vista to windws 7, M$ was supposed to make readyboost improvements.

Bearclaw
01-19-09, 03:03 PM
is anyone using readyboost? from vista to windws 7, M$ was supposed to make readyboost improvements.

IMO, I always thought readyboost was crap. I tried it on and off, testing it, and never saw any real improvements.

compuguy1088
01-19-09, 10:19 PM
anybody getting a low score on the Hdd sub-score in the WEI? i am getting a 2.9 using a new formatted seagate barrucuda 500 GB (ST350063)? all my other score are fine above 6.0 except this?

Same here. I got a 2.0 with my Macbook Pro's 160 GB drive (Windows 7 has 50 gb partition). I recall that vista gave it a slightly higher score.....

Bearclaw
01-19-09, 10:28 PM
Same here. I got a 2.0 with my Macbook Pro's 160 GB drive (Windows 7 has 50 gb partition). I recall that vista gave it a slightly higher score.....

That's just cause "Mac" special HD's suck. ;)

zoomy942
01-19-09, 10:54 PM
okay - here is what i have uncovered about the low HD score. its generally tied to intel chipsets, but not exclusivley. its a bug with the default drivers windows 7 uses for the intel chipset pieces.

dont believe me? go into device manager, disable Write Caching for your hard drive and run the WEI test again. you'll get a great score.

what you need to do is go DL the chipset utilty from intel, manually go and update all the little intel dodads - from the ata controller to all the devices listed under system devices - and then run the WEI.

re-enable the write caching and reboot... then run the WEI again. I did that and its fine now.

i win!

Koko56
01-20-09, 05:18 AM
Every once in a while it will lock up for about a second. Nothing big though. Being a Beta, I expect this. That's why we test it. :)
Oh ya fore sure. It's just that when I import songs into iTunes (a few 1000, well ~2000 :p) or install a game in W7 the system becomes more or less unusable. Worse than Vista for me.
okay - here is what i have uncovered about the low HD score. its generally tied to intel chipsets, but not exclusivley. its a bug with the default drivers windows 7 uses for the intel chipset pieces.

dont believe me? go into device manager, disable Write Caching for your hard drive and run the WEI test again. you'll get a great score.

what you need to do is go DL the chipset utilty from intel, manually go and update all the little intel dodads - from the ata controller to all the devices listed under system devices - and then run the WEI.

re-enable the write caching and reboot... then run the WEI again. I did that and its fine now.

i win!
Hmmm, not sure if I would be bothered to do that, but thanks for sharing though.

compuguy1088
01-20-09, 11:40 AM
That's just cause "Mac" special HD's suck. ;)

They aren't special, the drives are the same drives that are used in other pc's. I was just mentioning that it got a higher rating in Vista (during the short time I used it) than in Windows 7. This seems to be a pattern for other peoples drives, not just my laptop drive.

i win!

Odd...I did load those drivers...I guess it didn't want to install the sata drivers....

zoomy942
01-20-09, 12:19 PM
come to think of it, mine didnt change the sata driver either. but there was a system device that was called an intel to DRAM something that i missed. once i changed thatwith the drivers, the WEI worked

Redeemed
01-20-09, 12:35 PM
come to think of it, mine didnt change the sata driver either. but there was a system device that was called an intel to DRAM something that i missed. once i changed thatwith the drivers, the WEI worked

So, Mazda, how's Ubuntu working for ya'? ;)

Koko56
01-20-09, 04:28 PM
Uhhhh...

AVG... ************************************************** ************************************************** ****. ************************************************** *********.

omfgwow

zoomy942
01-20-09, 04:33 PM
is that the AV you are using? is it not working?

Koko56
01-20-09, 04:56 PM
is that the AV you are using? is it not working?

Oh, I think it's working. It's just hat I set it to scan the full system and started playing ME. Once I got to the menu I got really low FPS, so I remembered about AVG, alt-tabbed and stopped it. Later the FPS dropped again, so I had a look again and it started scanning again by the looks of things, I think I tried to turn it off again - exit the program completely from the tray on the right of the taskbar (by deafult) but when I clicked "exit" everything went to bits.

Tried ctraltdel to quit ME and AVG - but by that time the whole system was broke. I waited a bit, but the got frustrated and just held the power button on for 5-6 seconds whihc, y'know tuns the computer off. But really - f************************************ck...

:headexplode: - the use of that smily has never been so justified for me as in this case - how I felt at the time.... *takes a breath*

:p

zoomy942
01-20-09, 04:59 PM
why not try the ESET beta? thats what I am using, in native 64bit, and its great.

Koko56
01-20-09, 05:03 PM
why not try the ESET beta? thats what I am using, in native 64bit, and its great.

I think i've seen it before, but i know that AVG and appears to be liked by people...

zoomy942
01-20-09, 05:51 PM
RATS!!

i found a gotcha for 64bit. the HP Webcam built into my tablet doesnt work. No prgrams can access it. Thats a deal breaker as i use that alot for video conferencing at work. I'll install 32-bit tonight.