PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Beta available 1/9/09

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10

Koko56
01-20-09, 06:14 PM
RATS!!

i found a gotcha for 64bit. the HP Webcam built into my tablet doesnt work. No prgrams can access it. Thats a deal breaker as i use that alot for video conferencing at work. I'll install 32-bit tonight.

Oh...

also, in the post below - "I know that it's free" I thikn I meant to say..

zoomy942
01-20-09, 06:24 PM
So, Mazda, how's Ubuntu working for ya'? ;)

- mazda... how i miss her.

and ubuntu has been retired for the time being...

Redeemed
01-20-09, 07:13 PM
- mazda... how i miss her.

and ubuntu has been retired for the time being...

lol... I should write this down on my calendar. ;)

XxDeadlyxX
01-21-09, 04:30 AM
Since I just finished putting my i7 system together and got a stable overclock, I decided to give W7 x64 a roll.

Everything worked fine, however graphics performance seemed about 10-30% lower than Vista x64. I know people diss 3DMark Vantage, but I consider it a good indication of overall gfx performance (especially SLI performance), in W7 at one spot the fps was at 28 whereas in Vista before I formatted it was at 40. It couldn't get to the same fps as Vista at any stage during the tests, it was always lower. And yes I had SLI enabled and everything set correctly (181.22 drivers, also tried older 180.48 drivers that I had been using on Vista earlier, but they were even worse on W7 than 181.22). No idea why such a difference, maybe SLI hasn't been tweaked to work with the new WDDM 1.1 perfectly yet. So, back to Vista for me.

Wolfhound
01-21-09, 10:38 AM
Downloading now x64 version, will do a partition on my 500G disk to install it and test

zoomy942
01-21-09, 10:44 AM
well, i got the webcam working again. in 64bit.

not sure what happened butonce i installed 32bit and realized my 4GB would go unused to it's fullest potential, i went back to 64bit determined to make it work.

lol - and its worked fine

Bearclaw
01-21-09, 10:52 AM
That's a nice story Zoomy. :)

nekrosoft13
01-21-09, 01:00 PM
Looking at the system window we saw that the laptop had been given a Windows Experience Index of 2.0 based on the lowest score which happened to be Disk Data Transfer Rate. This had to be a mistake as in previous testing the Hitachi drive in this system had given healthier benchmark numbers. After a bit of searching we realized this was a common issue and the fix was to disable write caching on the hard disk as follows:

Go to Control Panel > hardware & sound > device manager
Locate disk drives, expand and find your main drive
Right click it and select properties
Click the policies tab, uncheck "enable write caching on this device", click ok
Run the Windows Experience Index again

Now we have a 3.5 WEI with a Disk Data Transfer Rate score of 5.3 up from 2.0.

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Windows-7-Up-Close-and-Personal/

zoomy942
01-21-09, 01:11 PM
right - and if you update your infs for your chipset manually... you can re-enable write caching and it will report the right number. mine does now.

mailman2
01-21-09, 02:42 PM
right - and if you update your infs for your chipset manually... you can re-enable write caching and it will report the right number. mine does now.

+1 PITA. Need intel chipset drivers for W7.

vmsein
01-22-09, 01:07 PM
Does anyone know how to edit tags using WMP in Windows 7? I'm either overlooking something somewhere here, or it's just not possible.

Bearclaw
01-22-09, 01:10 PM
Does anyone know how to edit tags using WMP in Windows 7? I'm either overlooking something somewhere here, or it's just not possible.

Just use Tag&Rename. :thumbsup:

http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

vmsein
01-22-09, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the link to Tag&Rename, BearClaw. But I'm still curious to know if the tag editing capability has been removed from WMP12.

Bearclaw
01-22-09, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the link to Tag&Rename, BearClaw. But I'm still curious to know if the tag editing capability has been removed from WMP12.

I'll check it out when I get home from work but I don't use WMP all that often so I wouldn't even know where to look. :o

I would highly recommend the T&G program though. I have been using it (As a suggestion from another member here) and I use it ALL the time for my music. Great program. :thumbsup:

mailman2
01-22-09, 03:16 PM
Looking at the system window we saw that the laptop had been given a Windows Experience Index of 2.0 based on the lowest score which happened to be Disk Data Transfer Rate. This had to be a mistake as in previous testing the Hitachi drive in this system had given healthier benchmark numbers. After a bit of searching we realized this was a common issue and the fix was to disable write caching on the hard disk as follows:

Go to Control Panel > hardware & sound > device manager
Locate disk drives, expand and find your main drive
Right click it and select properties
Click the policies tab, uncheck "enable write caching on this device", click ok
Run the Windows Experience Index again

Now we have a 3.5 WEI with a Disk Data Transfer Rate score of 5.3 up from 2.0.

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Windows-7-Up-Close-and-Personal/

This didnt change my score at all.

jcossin
01-25-09, 10:33 PM
Well I found my first major big bummer with Windows 7 64-bit...Punkbuster doesn't support it! Apparently Evenbalance has taken an official stance that they don't support beta OS releases either, so it doesn't look like Punkbuster will work until it is officially released.

For me that's probably going to be reason enough to go back to Vista for now...

Otherwise I've found Windows 7 to be very good and I REALLY like the new taskbar. I'll really miss it!!

Buio
01-26-09, 08:50 PM

Another alternative, which is free but not as many features as Tag&Rename is mp3tag
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Koko56
01-27-09, 12:21 PM
This whole "power saving" thing is not for my liking...

I left Windows Defender to do a full system scan. So a few hours later I returned only to see the computer in hibernation and with the scanning process stopped... because the computer went into hibernation. :bleh:

After the computer was back from hibernating, shortly afterwards the system became extremely slow and unusable. :nono:

Srsly...

Koko56
01-28-09, 03:44 PM
Chrome does not work, but nm that.

I find W7 awkward to use. They layout is a bit too different for me.

Vista for me I guess...

Bearclaw
01-28-09, 03:49 PM
This whole "power saving" thing is not for my liking...

I left Windows Defender to do a full system scan. So a few hours later I returned only to see the computer in hibernation and with the scanning process stopped... because the computer went into hibernation. :bleh:

After the computer was back from hibernating, shortly afterwards the system became extremely slow and unusable. :nono:

Srsly...

You CAN change those settings... :lol:

Koko56
01-28-09, 04:49 PM
You CAN change those settings... :lol:

Yeah I know... I have. :bleh:

I think the biggest "problem" for me is the UI, I'm just not used to it enough and the OS at times can lack responsiveness.

DRen72
01-30-09, 05:03 PM
...I find W7 awkward to use. They layout is a bit too different for me. Vista for me I guess...You must be referring to the taskbar changes because the rest is really only a slight "remix" that actually seems better all around. I do agree that the taskbar is odd, at least by default, but I've found you can easily get it to basically emulate the Vista taskbar, including a Quick Lauch bar, with little effort.

Koko56
01-31-09, 08:41 AM
You must be referring to the taskbar changes because the rest is really only a slight "remix" that actually seems better all around. I do agree that the taskbar is odd, at least by default, but I've found you can easily get it to basically emulate the Vista taskbar, including a Quick Lauch bar, with little effort.

Actually, the task bar seems ok. It's the probably the explorer that I'm not so fond of... :(

Also the OS is not too responsive at times either. For example - there is a delay on some of the tabs on the taskbar when I want to maximize a program/window and the "thing on the bottom right" (by default of course ) can also behave in a similar way to the tabs. At times I double click it, at times only one click brings stuff up...

A beta, yeah, but all of those little things add up for me.

Shamrock
01-31-09, 09:51 PM
Anyone know how to connect to other PCs (WinXP) on your network? I can connect to the network, but neither PC sees each other.

Bearclaw
01-31-09, 10:01 PM
One HUGE thing I am noticing is that transfer speeds are SLOW sometimes, and sometimes don't respond at all. I have had this happen on multiple USB drives to me. Not sure what to think...