PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 - 'best version of Windows ever'

Bearclaw
01-08-09, 12:58 PM
Interesting article.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/01/08/microsoft.ballmer/index.html

"We are on track to deliver the best version of Windows ever," Ballmer told an audience of several thousand tech professionals and journalists inside a cavernous ballroom at the Venetian hotel. "We're working hard to get it right and get it ready."

methimpikehoses
01-08-09, 01:25 PM
They must be telling the truth!

:bleh:

mailman2
01-08-09, 01:45 PM
They must be telling the truth!

They are.

S.I.N
01-08-09, 01:46 PM
Watch a few years from now its reveled that Windows 7 was actually Vista with some minor tweaks.

Q
01-08-09, 01:48 PM
Watch a few years from now its reveled that Windows 7 was actually Vista with some minor tweaks.

I think that its already been revealed, SIN. On the developer side, this is what MS is screaming. On the consumer side, they are advertising this to be a clean break from Vista.

glObalist
01-08-09, 03:50 PM
Did he also do the monkey dance while he was at it?

DRen72
01-08-09, 05:43 PM
"Windows 7 - 'best version of Windows ever' "....Not with that lame taskbar they are using in Beta 1. It's terribly implemented. I hope that gets major changes before RTM.

Also, with the current beta 1, surround sound on X-Fi cards is not working.

Toss3
01-08-09, 06:14 PM
"Windows 7 - 'best version of Windows ever' "....Not with that lame taskbar they are using in Beta 1. It's terribly implemented. I hope that gets major changes before RTM.

Also, with the current beta 1, surround sound on X-Fi cards is not working.

What's wrong with the taskbar?

And wouldn't it have been weird if he had come out and said "windows 7 is going to be the crappiest windows ever!" - I mean why even release something if you've already done better in the past? :retard:

DRen72
01-08-09, 09:59 PM
What's wrong with the taskbar?

Well, thats great if you like the new taskbar, but its quite confusing to me. There are several articles on the net pointing out the same issues I have with it, namely the fact its confusing to tell which program is a pinned one and which is not. I think if they would just leave quick launch in place instead of trying to integrate it then my complaints regarding the
taskbar at least would resolve.

And wouldn't it have been weird if he had come out and said "windows 7 is going to be the crappiest windows ever!" - I mean why even release something if you've already done better in the past? :retard: Quite true. Crappiest Windows ever award goes to Windows Millenium IMHO. Vista overall with SP1 is actually pretty good now. XP is perhaps the overall best and Windows 2000 was the most stable. That OS never crashed.

Bearclaw
01-08-09, 10:06 PM
I agree on the toolbar - I don't like it all that much. Maybe it will grow on me though, we'll see.

six_storm
01-08-09, 10:21 PM
I actually like the new taskbar. But I think that there should be an option to have the new look and a classic option. It does resemble the Mac OS X dock IMO so I'm quite fond of that idea ;)

ViN86
01-08-09, 11:03 PM

it is

ViN86
01-08-09, 11:04 PM
Well, thats great if you like the new taskbar, but its quite confusing to me. There are several articles on the net pointing out the same issues I have with it, namely the fact its confusing to tell which program is a pinned one and which is not. I think if they would just leave quick launch in place instead of trying to integrate it then my complaints regarding the
taskbar at least would resolve.

Quite true. Crappiest Windows ever award goes to Windows Millenium IMHO. Vista overall with SP1 is actually pretty good now. XP is perhaps the overall best and Windows 2000 was the most stable. That OS never crashed.

it's hard to gauge the "best" windows when one was used for 6 years and the others were only around for 2-3 years at most.

mailman2
01-08-09, 11:04 PM
I actually like the new taskbar. But I think that there should be an option to have the new look and a classic option. It does resemble the Mac OS X dock IMO so I'm quite fond of that idea ;)

you can unpin them all and create a quick launch bar. Mine looks just like Vistas now.

Pennyboy
01-13-09, 05:10 PM
Well my vote for 'best Windows ever' would be XP, it has been by far the most stable platform for me.

Noriega
01-13-09, 06:26 PM
Someone have payed for the article

SLippe
01-13-09, 10:57 PM
Windows Vista-Style Taskbar. I wasn’t initially a fan of the Windows 7 taskbar when it was first introduced in early Windows 7 builds, but as the design was refined in the run up to the beta, I was converted and now actively prefer the new look, particularly when I’ve got lots of windows open simultaneously. For those who really would prefer a look more reminiscent of Windows Vista, the good news is that it’s easy to customize the look of the taskbar to more closely mirror the old version:
http://blogs.msdn.com/blogfiles/tims/WindowsLiveWriter/Windows7Secrets_AC88/image_20.png
The Windows 7 Taskbar can be configured for a Windows Vista compatibility view.
To achieve this look, right-click on the taskbar and choose the properties dialog. Select the “small icons” checkbox and under the “taskbar buttons” setting, choose “combine when taskbar is full”. It’s not pixel-perfect in accuracy, but it’s close from a functionality point of view.

:cool:

ChAsM
01-13-09, 11:51 PM
I recently conducted the über scientific method of comparison...

I dropped both WindowsXP and Vista from my roof, whilst still in the box. The Vista CD came out. So, I've come to the conclusion that XP is both more stable and more secure. Vista needs to work on it's box some more. I strongly hope that Windows 7 will be quality where it counts -- the box.

Thank you for your time.

jcrox
01-14-09, 12:56 AM
2000 may have been ugly compared to Vista but man... that was rock solid OS. Windows 7 does seem awfully darn good though, especially considering it's still Beta.