PDA

View Full Version : New Interesting Feature On EA Download Manager

JasonPC
01-08-09, 04:16 PM
There was an update for EA download manager and I saw they have a new feature which actually isn't a bad idea. It's something that a few steam games do. You can type your product key in for a CD/DVD EA product and it will activate a digital copy through the EA Download Manager service. Not sure if it supports all games, but more than likely the recent ones.

nutcrackr
01-08-09, 06:41 PM
EA can learn from the best apparently.

saturnotaku
01-08-09, 07:54 PM
EA can learn from the best apparently.

Not nearly enough games allow for a key to be input into Steam for download. Any game that's released on both Steam and DVD should be allowed activation on the former.

crainger
01-08-09, 09:38 PM
You can probably only download that digital copy within 6 months of entering the key too. After that you need to use the disc or pay extra.

Well that's EA policy with new Direct Downloads...

grey_1
01-08-09, 10:24 PM
Not nearly enough games allow for a key to be input into Steam for download. Any game that's released on both Steam and DVD should be allowed activation on the former.

jcrox
01-08-09, 10:32 PM

+1

And this crap that I can install a game exactly 3 times and then deal with a pain in the butt after that is ridiculous as well. I personally haven't had to deal with this but it sounds so stupid.

I'll never understand why these companies make it so difficult for us people that actually wait until the game is released and pay for it instead of downloading it 6 days prior to its release.

LordJuanlo
01-09-09, 03:52 AM
Blizzard did it too, I entered my retail Diablo II key to get a digital download version, it worked great

evox
01-10-09, 07:17 AM
The ability to download retail games via Steam is a great idea. In theory. The problem with that is bandwidth. All the games that support this feature have had tie-ups with Steam and/or Valve one way or another. Not to mention many developers aren't comfortable in giving Valve the game's CD-Keys and letting them take a bite out of the revenue.

Valve really wants to use the bandwidth its 15m users has, they are trying to utilize the peer-to-peer functionality and basically make Steam a bittorrent-ish client. Heck, they even hired one of the original BitTorrent developers. Would be interesting to see how this plays out over time.

TheOneAndOnly
01-10-09, 11:40 AM
Blizzard did it too, I entered my retail Diablo II key to get a digital download version, it worked great

Can you show me how you did that? I haven't been able to find that Blizzard.com.

TIA

Edit: NVM, just found it three minutes after posting this...in the last place I looked of course :lol:

MowTin
01-11-09, 03:05 AM
+1

And this crap that I can install a game exactly 3 times and then deal with a pain in the butt after that is ridiculous as well. I personally haven't had to deal with this but it sounds so stupid.

I'll never understand why these companies make it so difficult for us people that actually wait until the game is released and pay for it instead of downloading it 6 days prior to its release.

Actually, this happened to me yesterday. I tried to play Test Drive Unlimitted after not playing it in a long time but it said I had "too many installs." I have to email them and then wait 2 days or so to get another activation.

I decided that I'll never buy this type of digital copy again.