PDA

View Full Version : No Post, No Video...HELP!

Pages : [1] 2

SLippe
01-08-09, 07:01 PM
I put together my rig today and after doing so, I get no video/no post. I haven't reset the CMOS or anything at this point. I'm really hoping it's not a dead CPU. :( Also, I don't know where to connect the SLI Bridge, the slot closest to the bracket (left) or the slot closest to the middle of the cards (right)? I also noticed that my keyboard and mouse don't get power.

EVGA 680i LT SLI Motherboard
Intel Core2Duo E6600 2.4GHz
4GB OCZ SLI-Ready DDR2 1066 (4x1GB)
2x GeForce 9800GTX in SLI (BFG and EVGA)
PC Power & Cooling 1KWatt PSU
2x WD 250GB SATAII HDD
X-Fi XtremeGamer
Hanns-G 22" WS LCD @ 1680x1050

Please, any input would be appreciated.

Drolfrawd
01-08-09, 07:03 PM
Is the board getting power at all slippe?

Revs
01-08-09, 07:30 PM
You should always reset the BIOS if you've just built a rig or changed a major part (like the CPU) SLipster ;).

That might not be the problem, though. What exactly happens what you press the power on button?

As for the SLI bridge; you can put it on either one, left with left or right with right, but not left with right or visa versa.

ViN86
01-08-09, 08:07 PM
the 680i supports the E6600 out of the box, right?

i had issues with my E8400 a while back and i had to get a P4 to update the BIOS. what a PITA.

SLippe
01-08-09, 09:54 PM
When I hit the power button, 3 lights come on on the board, the two DVD drives are checked and the HDD light does it's thing. All fans run and both GPU fans run. The 'board doesn't have a speaker, so there are no beeps. I'll try resetting the BIOS after the BCS Championship game. ;)

jcrox
01-08-09, 10:23 PM
Make sure you have everything plugged in. There's the obvious, 24 pin connector and hmm... i can't even remember now.. 4 pin, 6 pin... what ever that is up on the top of the board. Also, the 680i has yet another optional plug over by the memory... its for stability or something when running SLI.

And yeah, make sure you reset the BIOS man, the memory I had in there was set to 4-4-4-12 1t & 1.8v and I would guess that's you're culprit right there.

Edit: you may have to use 1 stick of memory initially so you can get it to fire up and then set the bios from there.

SLippe
01-09-09, 12:22 AM
I have one of the 8-pin CPU connections plugged in. Should I use the 4-pin connector instead?

I've tried resetting the BIOS several times now, but with 2 sticks of RAM, so I'll try just one stick.

I don't think I need to use the 4-pin power plug by the memory since my PSU has 4 6-pin PCI-E connections.

I'm also just using one 9800GTX right now as well, until I get it up and runninng.

*crosses fingers it's not my CPU*

EDIT: I'm wondering if the backplate on my Tuniq Tower 120 isn't shorting something out. It doesn't have the square sticky pad on it, as that stuck to the Gigabyte board that is off on RMA. Is it okay for the backplate to be up against the back of the board or should I put something in between it and if so, what?

Bman212121
01-09-09, 01:02 AM
I have one of the 8-pin CPU connections plugged in. Should I use the 4-pin connector instead?

I've tried resetting the BIOS several times now, but with 2 sticks of RAM, so I'll try just one stick.

I don't think I need to use the 4-pin power plug by the memory since my PSU has 4 6-pin PCI-E connections.

I'm also just using one 9800GTX right now as well, until I get it up and runninng.

*crosses fingers it's not my CPU*

EDIT: I'm wondering if the backplate on my Tuniq Tower 120 isn't shorting something out. It doesn't have the square sticky pad on it, as that stuck to the Gigabyte board that is off on RMA. Is it okay for the backplate to be up against the back of the board or should I put something in between it and if so, what?

It's possible that the backplate is shorting it out. I've wrapped electrical tape around the plate for my friends cooler before to keep that from happening.

For testing purposes it's best to remove everything that isn't necessary. You only need the CPU, GPU, ram, and board to post. Unhook any other fans / HDDs, DVD drives, etc.

I don't know how that board displays it's errors but what I usually do is purposely take all of the ram out of the board. Then try to boot it. This will cause the board to throw some kind of POST error. If it does then you know that the board and the CPU are working because if they aren't nothing will happen. Same with the GPU.

The 8 pin CPU power connector is fine, using that plus the 24 pin ATX plug is preferred.

methimpikehoses
01-09-09, 01:26 AM
My tuniq backplate makes direct contact, and I'm still posting...

I assume you tried just 1 gpu, 1 ram at a time?

SLippe
01-09-09, 03:07 AM
It's working!

I reset the CPU, covered the backplate with electrical tape, put everything back, except this time I am using one stick of RAM and one GPU. I've got into the BIOS, so...

Now, to add more RAM and the other GPU.

*crosses fingers*

Revs
01-09-09, 03:39 AM
I've known a couple of people who's 680i mobo worked with one GPU in but not both. It's the NB, they can be very troublesome. Hopefully you've got a good'en SLippe and it works well for ya.

I used to have a E6600 in a Striker Extreme and spent alot of time messing with the OC settings. If I can help you out, let me know :).

SLippe
01-09-09, 05:47 AM
Thanks, Revs, I'll probably be getting in touch with you.

I've got two sticks or RAM in right now, as it didn't like all four sticks. However, I have also updated the BIOS to P08 and will try with the four sticks, again. This newer BIOS seems much better.

Installing Windows ATM. I'll report back later. ;)

Toss3
01-09-09, 05:55 AM

I've got two sticks or RAM in right now, as it didn't like all four sticks. However, I have also updated the BIOS to P08 and will try with the four sticks, again. This newer BIOS seems much better.

Try windows 7! :) It's much better than vista! Glad you got it working! :thumbsup:

SLippe
01-09-09, 06:42 AM
Try windows 7! :) It's much better than vista! Glad you got it working! :thumbsup:

I will for sure, but down the road. Thanks. :)

Revs
01-09-09, 07:02 AM

As you will probably find, the E6600 and the 680i mobo's are voltage hungry. Have you upped your RAM voltage to at least it's recommended voltage?

SLippe
01-09-09, 08:47 AM
As you will probably find, the E6600 and the 680i mobo's are voltage hungry. Have you upped your RAM voltage to at least it's recommended voltage?

Oh yeah, sure did! Weird thing is, the two sticks of RAM I had prior to this build, I can't get to work...alone or all four. Only the two new sticks I bought work. They're all four the same thing! WTF? So much for havin' 4GB of RAM. :(

Revs
01-09-09, 10:14 AM
Hmm, strange. That makes no sense at all. Welcome to the world of the 680i :p

Oh the fun memories...

jcrox
01-09-09, 01:51 PM
Hmmmmm....I never tried using 4 sticks of memory. You double check that your running the correct voltage on them?

SLippe
01-09-09, 02:02 PM
Hmm, strange. That makes no sense at all. Welcome to the world of the 680i :p

Oh the fun memories...

:rofl

Hmmmmm....I never tried using 4 sticks of memory. You double check that your running the correct voltage on them?

Yeah, they run at 2.1v, although they are rated higher, I guess. Here is what I have; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227181

And another thing is, that in the BIOS is says SLI-Ready Memory Not Detected. :confused:

Revs
01-09-09, 02:06 PM
What have you got them set at, Mhz wise? Also does it say 'SLI-Ready Memory Not Detected' if you just have the two new sticks in? I assume you've got your RAM timings set to 'Auto'..

I had 4 sticks of the same RAM, but the 800Mhz version, in the Striker and it was fine.

EDIT: In fact it's the same ones I have now :p. Good RAM.

SLippe
01-09-09, 02:17 PM
I have the timings set Manually and yes, it says "SLI-Ready Memory Not Detected" with just the two new sticks I'm currently using. Won't Post if I put all four in. ;)

Revs
01-09-09, 05:19 PM
You tried 'em on Auto yet?

EDIT: Also just run them at 800Mhz for now. I know some people have trouble running 4 sticks at 1066Mhz.

If you're still struggling it might be an idea to PM jAkUp ;)

jcrox
01-09-09, 05:48 PM
I have the timings set Manually and yes, it says "SLI-Ready Memory Not Detected" with just the two new sticks I'm currently using. Won't Post if I put all four in. ;)

I think that SLI-Ready Memory is just an auto-overclocking thing... like 2%, 5%, 7% etc... even if you figure why that isn't showing up I wouldn't use it. I know a couple of other people with the same board, I'll get a hold of them and see if they have any info on the whole 4 sticks of memory deal.

.... do you have the memory set to 2T when trying 4 sticks?

SLippe
01-10-09, 09:37 AM
I think that SLI-Ready Memory is just an auto-overclocking thing... like 2%, 5%, 7% etc... even if you figure why that isn't showing up I wouldn't use it. I know a couple of other people with the same board, I'll get a hold of them and see if they have any info on the whole 4 sticks of memory deal.

.... do you have the memory set to 2T when trying 4 sticks?

Yeah, I think. I know I had it at 1T at one point, but it is currently running in 2T. Let me know if you find something out.

Revs
01-10-09, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I think. I know I had it at 1T at one point, but it is currently running in 2T. Let me know if you find something out.

Seriously Shawn, setting the timings is the last thing I do when playing with BIOS settings. If you put 4 sticks in you will have to loosen the timings a little. Just set it to 'Auto' to eliminate that as the problem :).

EDIT: BTW I've checked in my BIOS and it says SLI Memory not detected, too.