PDA

View Full Version : Temps - what the heck?

grey_1
01-08-09, 08:46 PM
Hey guys, this can't be right!

My E8400 idled around 20c and would hit 35-40c under load, depending on room temp. This one starts at 41c and stays there. I've tried 3 bios, so that ought to rule out a temp issue in the bios, and reseated the HSF...kind of stumped as I'm afraid it may be hotter than it's reading.

Either that or my E8400 was way the heck off. Thoughts guys?

Idle with E8500 I acquired.

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/5033/idletempsoe3.th.jpg (http://img123.imageshack.us/my.php?image=idletempsoe3.jpg)

Load - I know it's only a minute, but it should have done something...right?

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/4775/loadtempsal4.th.jpg (http://img123.imageshack.us/my.php?image=loadtempsal4.jpg)

Thanks in advance!

jcrox
01-08-09, 08:53 PM
try some other utilities and see if it comes up the same across all of them. Core Temp used to show my E6600 at 3600MHz and 91c on an XFX 680i. Same settings it read 3000MHz 22c on an EVGA 680i... sometimes it's just a motherboard issue with the program.

grey_1
01-08-09, 09:00 PM
try some other utilities and see if it comes up the same across all of them. Core Temp used to show my E6600 at 3600MHz and 91c on an XFX 680i. Same settings it read 3000MHz 22c on an EVGA 680i... sometimes it's just a motherboard issue with the program.

I did, actually core temp and real temp are the others I've used. This is baffling. :o

bob saget
01-08-09, 09:04 PM
quick question about orthos, sorry to interrupt your thread grey:
when you have quad core, you obviously need to run 4 instances of the program right? do you just open it 4 times and select the test or do you need to manually select the core to stress or what?

jcrox
01-08-09, 09:09 PM
when you have quad core, you obviously need to run 4 instances of the program right? do you just open it 4 times and select the test or do you need to manually select the core to stress or what?

8500 is dual core you nub

bob saget
01-08-09, 09:11 PM

that should be key word.

grey_1
01-08-09, 09:19 PM

Yep, just match the number of instances with the number of cores. 2 cores = 2 instances like in the screen. 4 cores you would use 4 instances.

bob saget
01-08-09, 11:09 PM
thanks gotcha, hope you get it figured out.

methimpikehoses
01-08-09, 11:12 PM
You're using the same stock voltage?

Bman212121
01-08-09, 11:26 PM
What about speedstep? If that's changed it can make a difference. What about ambient temps? 20C is about 68F so your processor would have had to be running at room temp before.

grey_1
01-09-09, 03:07 AM
Yep, stock voltage, speedstep disabled.

Right now back to the 0903 bios, full cmos reset and same thing. I'm on the verge of putting the 8400 back in just see what it reads.

What a p.i.t.a. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Google is pulling all kinds of hits on speculation that the E8500's temp sensors are defective.

Idle temps now.
Real temp - 34/36
Core Temp - 34/36
Everest Ult - 39/41 (tjmax error?)
bios - 41

I suppose the idle temps aren't that bad - it's the lack of any delta under load that bothers me.

*sigh*

mullet
01-09-09, 09:11 AM
Make sure the TJmax for the cpu in coretemp is set to 95 not 105. Just run 1 instance of orthos.

grey_1
01-09-09, 09:46 AM
Make sure the TJmax for the cpu in coretemp is set to 95 not 105. Just run 1 instance of orthos.
I will check when I get home tonight, and compare it to the others. On the orthos, I was just trying what ever I could to get the temp to budge a little.

I'm leery of trying to over clock this with out having a good temp reference.

Redeemed
01-09-09, 10:51 AM
lol-

:upgradefail:

:D

grey_1
01-09-09, 12:04 PM
lol-

:upgradefail:

:D

This isn't my upgrade, just a temp proc until I get mine in a couple of months.

But why is a potential problem for me funny?

Redeemed
01-09-09, 12:15 PM
This isn't my upgrade, just a temp proc until I get mine in a couple of months.

But why is a potential problem for me funny?

Awww- crap! Now I feel bad. :(

I was just trying to make light of a rather dark situation. And here you go and throw guilt on my shoulders. :(

Okay, not derailing your thread anymore. I don't know what to comment... other than it's probably just a bad temp sensor. If i were you, I'd not oc the proc at all. Just run it stock until you can get the new one.

Maybe find another member that has the same proc and see if they're having temp issues like yours. If so, see if they found a solution. If they aren't having the issue, maybe you just got a bad proc. I think I've seen a few members here that have an 8500... just cannot recall who they were. Sorry. :(

grey_1
01-09-09, 02:14 PM

Yep, it's at 95. I may replace the proc. just grab a quad after all. phooey. :p

grey_1
01-09-09, 02:15 PM
Awww- crap! Now I feel bad. :(

I was just trying to make light of a rather dark situation. And here you go and throw guilt on my shoulders. :(

Okay, not derailing your thread anymore. I don't know what to comment... other than it's probably just a bad temp sensor. If i were you, I'd not oc the proc at all. Just run it stock until you can get the new one.

Maybe find another member that has the same proc and see if they're having temp issues like yours. If so, see if they found a solution. If they aren't having the issue, maybe you just got a bad proc. I think I've seen a few members here that have an 8500... just cannot recall who they were. Sorry. :(

Heh, didn't want you feeling bad Redeemed, i know you wouldn't wish bad on me. I'm just frustrated with this thing, that's all Bro.

grey_1
01-10-09, 06:05 AM
Pretty much confirmed, the proc is no good.

sigh, now to wait for the next victim..er...proc.

Toss3
01-10-09, 06:27 AM
Pretty much confirmed, the proc is no good.

sigh, now to wait for the next victim..er...proc.

Have you made sure the heat spreader isn't convex? My temps fell 5c after lapping my q6600. :) Also make sure to use Noctua's NH-1 thermal paste instead of arctic silver as it doesn't need time to settle.

EIDT: Did a quick google search and it appears as though this would be a common issue with the E8500 - so you should give Intel a call and see if they'd be willing to RMA it(they should accept as the product defective when you bought it). :)

grey_1
01-10-09, 06:44 AM
Have you made sure the heat spreader isn't convex? My temps fell 5c after lapping my q6600. :) Also make sure to use Noctua's NH-1 thermal paste instead of arctic silver as it doesn't need time to settle.

EIDT: Did a quick google search and it appears as though this would be a common issue with the E8500 - so you should give Intel a call and see if they'd be willing to RMA it(they should accept as the product defective when you bought it). :)

Yeah, I probably saw all the same google hits you did. Thing is the temp barely changes whether at idle or running orthos. I didn't even know temp sensors could get stuck until I started reading about this. That and the fact that windows wasn't even stable with that proc installed. Got my 8400 back in now.

john19055
01-22-09, 02:07 AM
I have a E8500 with a EVGA 680i SLI motherboard and it stays at 41c no manner what I do .I have reset it three times and tried different tempertures readers and it just stays at 41c at idle ,it will raise up when heavy overclocling.I am used to my other cpu's were the idle would be around 32c.