PDA

View Full Version : Sound Card in Which System?

Buenamos
01-09-09, 10:51 AM
Ok guys, for those who haven't seen it. Creative is having major sales on their refurbished sound cards so I picked up a Creative Xi-Fi Platinum for only $60!

Anyways, I'm flying back to AZ on Sunday to put together my Q6600 rig and I have a choice of either using my current Audigy 2zs or the Xi-Fi in the computer - BUT I also have a HTPC in the living room FULL of hundreds of movies that I and my roommates use everyday. The HTPC honestly is only using onboard sound which, let's be honest - isn't good.

As far as sound systems go, my computer only has a Logitech Z-640 5.1 system so it's alright and my system out in the living room is bangin.

So what would you guys recommend for placement of the cards?

Thanks!

CaptNKILL
01-09-09, 02:41 PM
Woa... where can I get in on that deal?

EDIT: Found it http://us.creative.com/shop/shopcategory.asp?category=84&WT.cg_n=Campaigns&WT.mc_id=5614

Nice prices. :)

As for your question, the only thing an X-Fi is really good for is gaming if you use an analog sound system (which you do). It'd probably sound good for a HTPC but its not really necessary. If you use digital audio for your HTPC then the sound card doesn't make a whole lot of difference anyways.

Pennyboy
01-09-09, 11:18 PM
Ok guys, for those who haven't seen it. Creative is having major sales on their refurbished sound cards so I picked up a Creative Xi-Fi Platinum for only $60!

Anyways, I'm flying back to AZ on Sunday to put together my Q6600 rig and I have a choice of either using my current Audigy 2zs or the Xi-Fi in the computer - BUT I also have a HTPC in the living room FULL of hundreds of movies that I and my roommates use everyday. The HTPC honestly is only using onboard sound which, let's be honest - isn't good.

As far as sound systems go, my computer only has a Logitech Z-640 5.1 system so it's alright and my system out in the living room is bangin.

So what would you guys recommend for placement of the cards?

Thanks!

The Audigy 2 ZS would easily be good enough for movies, so use that for your HTPC and the X-fi for your gaming rig.

crainger
01-10-09, 02:19 AM
I'm using a Live for my HTPC right now. ::o: Prelude died.

Just running through digital.