PDA

View Full Version : Pet peeve (sp?)

Riptide
05-29-03, 03:08 PM
OK, another thing to whine about.

My job was nice enough to let me use a new latitude 840 w/the really super sweet 15" UXGA screen. Nicest looking screen I've seen yet on a laptop. I was really starting to enjoy it.

That was until one of my fellow techicians decided to point something out on my screen by pushing his finger into the damn LCD. Now I have a nice finger print permanently on my display and a few dead pixels where he pushed it in. Yay...

A tech should know better than to be sticking fingers on displays. Am I right? :eek:

Nephilim
05-29-03, 04:21 PM
Heh...should make him pay for the replacement of the screen.

....or cut his finger off.

That's some expensive **** to replace. I used to work at Dell....we would have charged around 1000-1200 dollars to replace that. After all, user damage isn't covered under warranty.

Riptide
05-29-03, 05:26 PM
I didn't pay for the laptop and I work with the guy so in the interest of "keeping the peace" I'm not going to make a huge issue out of it.

Those of you with LCDs... Be very wary of unfamiliar users using your PC.

UDawg
05-30-03, 09:56 AM
Every one touches my precious monitor. They keeps touchings my preciouss'. Trixie little hobbits, nasty little touches on my monitors.

Ya man what is with people touching monitors? ANY OF THEM! You don't need to touch the screen. I am looking at the friggin montor also. It's only 17" I think I can find what you are talking about. Just keep your damn grubby fingers off my monitor.

What is even worse is I always have hand and finger prints on my HDTV. WTF is that. I never touch it. That leaves only one person left. My son! How many times a day do I have to tell him not to touch the TV? You can't grab anything in the TV so why touch it? (*&(&&*()&^)(*&(*^)&$$*&^&*%$(&^(^(^ makes me mad.

digitalwanderer
05-30-03, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by UDawg71
Every one touches my precious monitor. They keeps touchings my preciouss'. Trixie little hobbits, nasty little touches on my monitors.

Ya man what is with people touching monitors? ANY OF THEM! You don't need to touch the screen. I am looking at the friggin montor also. It's only 17" I think I can find what you are talking about. Just keep your damn grubby fingers off my monitor.

What is even worse is I always have hand and finger prints on my HDTV. WTF is that. I never touch it. That leaves only one person left. My son! How many times a day do I have to tell him not to touch the TV? You can't grab anything in the TV so why touch it? (*&(&&*()&^)(*&(*^)&$$*&^&*%$(&^(^(^ makes me mad.

ROFLMFAO~~~~~

A 6 & 3 year old make LCDs a distant pipe-dream for me...my CRTs get coated with fingerprints, palmprints, spit, etc every single stinking day! :mad:

Then again, the only way to stop it is to keep the kids from the PCs...and that just don't seem right to me. ;)

Hanners
05-30-03, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by UDawg71

I agree with that - I just wish somebody would get it into my Dad's thick skull... :rolleyes:

As for Riptide's laptop screen, the guy must have pushed pretty hard to kill a few pixels?! :eek:

DaveW
05-30-03, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
ROFLMFAO~~~~~

A 6 & 3 year old make LCDs a distant pipe-dream for me...my CRTs get coated with fingerprints, palmprints, spit, etc every single stinking day! :mad:

Then again, the only way to stop it is to keep the kids from the PCs...and that just don't seem right to me. ;)

Haha, I hear you. My two year old has his finger prints all over my CRT. He's always fighting me for PC time to play Vice City or UT2003. UT was the first time I ever enabled the "swear filter" option in a game coz my son was saying "holy sssit!".

Riptide
05-30-03, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Hanners
I agree with that - I just wish somebody would get it into my Dad's thick skull... :rolleyes:

As for Riptide's laptop screen, the guy must have pushed pretty hard to kill a few pixels?! :eek:
He gave it a good push apparently. Ofcourse, as I saw him doing this I was cringing but I realized it was already to late to do anything. Now I have to live with it though, and it was such a nice display before hand! Perfect, in fact. No more...

FWIW, I have had a lot of issues with fingerprints. My girl had one of her friends over working on my machine in MS-Word one day. I wasn't there but when I got home and saw them using it I noticed the absolute mass of fingerprints right in the center of the F500's screen. I didn't say anything until I saw her doing it again, actually pushing her finger into the screen. If that had been an LCD she definitely would've trashed it with the pressure she was using. The monitor actually shook when she pressed it! I spoke up that time and asked her not to touch it. Then when she left I freaked out and told my girl that nobody uses that screen unless I'm there.

When I got my LCD... NOBODY uses the PC at all except for me. No chances. If something breaks, it better be MY fault.

Nutty
05-30-03, 06:05 PM
Yeah touching screens irritates the crap out of me.. I have my code screen at work with a black background so fingerprints show up easy. I have to tell ppl not to touch the screen quite often.

stncttr908
05-30-03, 09:47 PM
Sounds like parents, when they come barging into the room asking me to search for this and that.

"What does that mean right there?" ::touches screen::

"Mom/Dad, please don't do that."

"Oh, sorry, I always forget. What about this?" ::touch again::

"Please don't..." :D

GlowStick
05-31-03, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Riptide
When I got my LCD... NOBODY uses the PC at all except for me. No chances. If something breaks, it better be MY fault.

Actually, i am very serious in buying a lcd, i am going to make the purcase any day now, and my plan to protect it is, to buy a geargrip lcd holder and carry my baby everyware with me muahhahahahahahahahaha.

Also, i have a LAN horror story. Me and 3 of my friends decided to have a small lan, just some StarCraft Half life etc.

Anyways, a friend who didnt bring his computer because he cannot play computer/console/arcade games for the life of him... was watching me play CS. Mind you this was on my NEC witch has never had a drop of human skin oil on it, i reguarly dusted it with my cali car duster (works great) no prints no nothing! And he PUT HIS FINGER WHERE A ENEMY WAS asking "do you shoot this guy? they all look the same"

needless to say i started cussing up a storm heh.

Riptide
06-01-03, 09:58 AM
The wealth of ignorance is astounding is it not? Definitely seems strange that people insist on actually making physical contact. It's not enough just to point something out and not touch it or simply describe what they are referring to.