PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch

MUYA
01-11-09, 08:20 AM
....i just bought one for my brother. But he lives in another country. Before I send him his new toy. I just wanted to know if, I connect to my computer will the ipod touch be locked to my computer? I just want to see if it works properly and also load it with some of my mp3s! Is this possible? ANyone?

AthlonXP1800
01-11-09, 09:52 AM
I got 1st gen ipod itouch, it wont locked to your computer and you can load it with videos, mp3 etc and it will work fine when your brother connect it to his computer. I tried once connected to my mate computer when I stayed at his house overnight last year. :)

MUYA
01-11-09, 08:53 PM
Thanks AthlonXP.

I want to load up some "Whose line is it anyway" and Supernatural videos for him before I send it away

breathemetal
01-11-09, 11:05 PM
iPod touch ftw :)

bob saget
01-11-09, 11:28 PM
should be fine, although if you load some stuff for him, make sure to tell him that the very first time he hooks it up, to select "manual updating" or whatever, so that it doesn't erase all the stuff you put on there.
Although I am not sure how iTunes deals with this nowadays.....I had this issue years ago....

MUYA
01-12-09, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the responses! :) Much appreciated

breathemetal
01-12-09, 02:19 AM
You can hook up a touch to any computer, it's not locked. Anything you put on it will stay on provided he doesn't have it set to auto sync (as mentioned above). Just bear in mind that it's a one way trip, you can't copy stuff FROM a touch to his comp (or any comp for that matter), which is suckage if you end up formatting like me and the only copy you have of some of your songs is on your touch. You can't get them back off on to your PC.

This is assuming nothing has changed. I haven't used a touch for a while, I turfed it for a 120gb Zune. :)

you can, but you need 3rd party software for that.

or you can ssh into it via putty and winscp.

jass
01-12-09, 08:32 AM
You can hook up a touch to any computer, it's not locked. Anything you put on it will stay on provided he doesn't have it set to auto sync (as mentioned above). Just bear in mind that it's a one way trip, you can't copy stuff FROM a touch to his comp (or any comp for that matter), which is suckage if you end up formatting like me and the only copy you have of some of your songs is on your touch. You can't get them back off on to your PC.
This is assuming nothing has changed. I haven't used a touch for a while, I turfed it for a 120gb Zune. :)

Why oh why we all fall for the protected media files?
Isnt having simply a folder structure with id3 tags a better solution?
So that you can copy stuff both ways?
All mp3 players used to be like that and now...
I feel old...
;)