PDA

View Full Version : Left 4 Dead Friends Only Option

grey_1
01-11-09, 11:04 AM
Yes, I know there is a stickied thread, but this will get more views here, hopefully an answer.

I run lobbies set to "Friends Only". Twice now, once with CaptnKill, once with Redeemed, others have been able to join the game who are not on our friends list.

I thought it was because I used ded servers, I've tried "local" servers, but some have been unable to connect when using local.

Are these clowns (team killers both times) getting in through using the console and "openserverbrowser" command?

Or is there some type of vulnerability that leaves friends open and viewable by all?

Any insight to how this works would be greatly appreciated, as the fools who popped in last night ruined a good run by capping me an Redeemed before we could react or I could boot them.

Thanks guys

|MaguS|
01-11-09, 11:13 AM
There getting through the Server Browser since it doesn't force friends...

grey_1
01-11-09, 11:22 AM
Thanks, I figured it was something like that. Know of anyway to block that?

|MaguS|
01-11-09, 11:28 AM
Yeah kill the person before they get a chance to kill you and then don't rescue them... it makes it very funny.

ViN86
01-11-09, 11:38 AM
Yeah kill the person before they get a chance to kill you and then don't rescue them... it makes it very funny.

:rofl

grey_1
01-11-09, 11:48 AM

LOL! Yeah, that's what I get for being softhearted, I don't mind others joining if they're just looking for a game.

Redeemed
01-11-09, 12:38 PM
|AnuS| didn't join our game last night, WE SHOULD IGNORE!!! See how HE likes it! :p

Yeah, that dude was annoying. In fact, I think the last game we played I accidentally killed both of you- You were on the stairs of the fire escape, he was on the platform below you, and I was below both of you. He justs starts shooting randomly like a retard, not even aiming at zombies, aiming at you. So I unloaded my shotty on him but wound up taking you out as well. :lol: T'was kinda' funny, I thought. :o

crainger
01-11-09, 02:32 PM
Did you aim for the kneecaps 'Deemed?

NarcissistZero
01-11-09, 02:40 PM
I actually played with friends only and LT Schaeffer joined... I thought he was some friend of mine I forgot about, but here he wasn't on my list (at the time).

Misfire
01-11-09, 02:45 PM
People cannot join through the server browser if you have friends only enabled. They will get kicked saying this game can only be joined through a lobby.

Also, I'm pretty sure friends of friends are able to join your game directly through the friends list, as I have done this many times.

grey_1
01-11-09, 02:49 PM
People cannot join through the server browser if you have friends only enabled. They will get kicked saying this game can only be joined through a lobby.

Also, I'm pretty sure friends of friends are able to join your game directly through the friends list, as I have done this many times.

That could be it too for all I know. Lol, I keep my friends list pretty short too. Ah, just frustrating is all.

Bman212121
01-11-09, 03:31 PM
Can you password a server? Just about every game I've played usually lets you use a password if you want.

|MaguS|
01-11-09, 03:34 PM
Can you password a server? Just about every game I've played usually lets you use a password if you want.

I tried on a dedicated server and someone was always able to join without the password...

Bman212121
01-11-09, 03:37 PM
I tried on a dedicated server and someone was always able to join without the password...

LOL, lot of good that does. :p

Misfire
01-11-09, 03:50 PM

thats weird, passworded server always works for me and my friends.

another way to restrict ur server more ideally is to use the search key function.

if ur using dedicated server, use the sv_search_key cvar,

sv_search_key "string", replace string with a word of ur choice for instance misfire.

the server will need to set sv_search_key to misfire.

now for clients, open up console and type sv_search_key misfire, now make a lobby with ur friends and search for dedicated server and you'll automatically connect to your secret server.

random people won't join because they dont have ur search string, the default is nothing ("").

I use this method so my friends and I can set up our characters, but we found sv_password works as well, the key is to set the password before tickets are reserved for other people to join. If people are already joining, kick everyone then set password again.

EDIT: If you guys are really having trouble with this, MSG me on steam and I can setup a server for you, my server box is the states east coast NJ. SteamID is AznCQ