PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 lacking ?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

hell_of_doom227
01-12-09, 10:36 AM
To me it feels like Vista. I don't see any difference. Call me blind but i have no reason to upgrade to Windows 7 cause it just acts the same way Vista does. Windows 7 is more marketing then anything new there. Bring me SP2 for Windows Vista and DX11 and i will be happy.

pjo123
01-12-09, 11:26 AM
so anyone figure out how to get "documents" to correctly point to another drive?

In XP you could change the target location for my documents to anywhere, and all the apps would read the change. In Vista you can do something similar, however it did cause a few XP apps like C&C3 to have issues when you remapped documents.

So far I can point individual folders like my music and what not to different locations, but when I fire up itunes, it still thinks documents/my music is in the C:\users...

maybe that's for the better but its not what I want. I also noticed the same behavior out of VS2008, but I am not concerned about that one.

start explorer, computer, C:/Drive, users, YOUR USER NAME,

Right click on say Documents, properties and select the `Location` tab

Took me a while to figure out, the libraries completely confused me

Dreamingawake
01-12-09, 11:30 AM
Yeah this is interesting.

One one hand it does seem windows 7 offers some additional features that Vista doesn't. -If it's true about the memory use being lower in games ect, then that is freaking awesome
and almost worth it in itself.

mailman2
01-12-09, 11:44 AM
Yeah this is interesting.

One one hand it does seem windows 7 offers some additional features that Vista doesn't. -If it's true about the memory use being lower in games ect, then that is freaking awesome
and almost worth it in itself.

Install the multi core gadget. Clean boot Windows7 is only using 550 - 600 MB. When I come out of a game, it's back to 550 - 600MB. Vista on the other hand uses 3 times that much on a clean boot and the longer the PC is on the more the usage goes up. I don't believe Vista disables Aero properly either when running a game, myself and others saw up to 10 FPS increase in GTA IV if you manually change to a non-aero theme.

In any case, there is no dispute that Windows 7 is faster. You can run it on computers that could not run Vista like laptops. Its clear to see Windows 7 is just a much better OS than Vista.

Bearclaw
01-12-09, 11:50 AM
Install the multi core gadget. Clean boot Windows7 is only using 550 - 600 MB. When I come out of a game, it's back to 550 - 600MB. Vista on the other hand uses 3 times that much on a clean boot and the longer the PC is on the more the usage goes up. I don't believe Vista disables Aero properly either when running a game, myself and others saw up to 10 FPS increase in GTA IV if you manually change to a non-aero theme.

In any case, there is no dispute that Windows 7 is faster. You can run it on computers that could not run Vista like laptops. Its clear to see Windows 7 is just a much better OS than Vista.

I wish it was a simple SP2 update to Vista. It's bull**** that they would make us pay for a whole "new" O/S. :thumbdwn:

mailman2
01-12-09, 12:41 PM
I wish it was a simple SP2 update to Vista. It's bull**** that they would make us pay for a whole "new" O/S. :thumbdwn:

I'm glad mine was an academic copy so it was cheap. I think it's BS that anyone had to pay for Vista though it was such a crappy OS.

thor1182
01-12-09, 12:48 PM
I think behind the curtains win 7 is more of just a service pack update to Vista.

mullet
01-12-09, 02:20 PM
I think behind the curtains win 7 is more of just a service pack update to Vista.

Ding.......ding....ding... we have a winn0r. I fricken love Vista64, I have had some issues with win-7 that I didn't have with Vista.

thor1182
01-12-09, 02:24 PM
Ding.......ding....ding... we have a winn0r.

I don't know to me saying that its just a service pack is like saying XP is just a service packed 2k. And while very similar, XP is a great deal better than its parent OS 2k

Zelda_fan
01-12-09, 05:42 PM

Dude, it's a lot more than a SP. There are major interface changes, and it's clear that the code base has underwent a major change too. That would be like saying XP should have been a SP for 2000.

Carbon Unit
01-12-09, 10:28 PM
Dude, it's a lot more than a SP. There are major interface changes, and it's clear that the code base has underwent a major change too. That would be like saying XP should have been a SP for 2000.there actually all service packs going back to widows 1.0

I like windows 7, I plan on slapping it on all my pc's(nana2)

Dreamingawake
01-12-09, 11:20 PM
Yeah I've changed my mind since starting this thread.

If Win 7 is this decent in the beta stage.. I'm sold also.

ViN86
01-12-09, 11:36 PM
I'm glad mine was an academic copy so it was cheap. I think it's BS that anyone had to pay for Vista though it was such a crappy OS.
i have no idea where any of you get this **** from.

i love Vista x64. runs perfectly.

nekrosoft13
01-12-09, 11:38 PM
i have no idea where any of you get this **** from.

i love Vista x64. runs perfectly.

what else can you expect from Joe

mailman2
01-13-09, 12:45 AM

i shouldnt expect anything less of you idiots. Of course you still LOVE Vista. Well enjoy spending another $600 for Windows 7. dumbasses.

einstein_314
01-13-09, 01:06 AM
Here's a quick question for you Win7 guys. Is there a way to move an entire users profile to another hard drive? Like if I wanted to move all of my picture, documents, videos, etc. In Vista I have to manually move each of them separately. Big pain in the balls. There should be a way to move them all at the same time.

j0j081
01-13-09, 05:50 AM
I don't understand how some of you have some much RAM in use on a clean boot of Vista. Do you have a lot of programs loading up at start because mine is usually only around 800-900 MB and this is a fresh install I haven't even optimized yet.

Wolfhound
01-13-09, 06:24 AM
i shouldnt expect anything less of you idiots. Of course you still LOVE Vista. Well enjoy spending another $600 for Windows 7. dumbasses.

You´re a troll, because you don´t like Vista doesn´t mean you can call people who has a good experience with it idiots, I get my Vista x64 copy direct from Microsoft without paying due to the agreements they have with my company, so no 600$ as you say.

Toss3
01-13-09, 08:03 AM

Yes beacuse everytime I change my car I get the new one for free. :rolleyes:

mailman2
01-13-09, 08:49 AM
I don't understand how some of you have some much RAM in use on a clean boot of Vista. Do you have a lot of programs loading up at start because mine is usually only around 800-900 MB and this is a fresh install I haven't even optimized yet.

Vista x64 on a clean boot with nothing but GPU drivers running was 1.5GB RTM, 1.2GB SP1 and 900MB SP2. It has gotten better but it's still just too bloated. I don't let anything run on startup but the Nvidia driver services, never have. I've got 2 x Q6600 machines here both with 4GB DDR 1066 one has GTX 260, the other 8800GTX. Those were fresh installs, so unless you are running SP2 beta there is no way its under 1GB usage on a clean boot. Right now my second PC is sitting at 1.7GB with SP2 as it's been on for about a week without a reboot. It just keeps slowly creeping up till I reboot it again.

On the other hand Windows 7 clean boot with just GPU drivers loaded is 550MB. It runs on my laptop wonderfully, something Vista wasnt able to do. P4 2.4Ghz, 1GB ram.

mailman2
01-13-09, 08:50 AM
You´re a troll, because you don´t like Vista doesn´t mean you can call people who has a good experience with it idiots, I get my Vista x64 copy direct from Microsoft without paying due to the agreements they have with my company, so no 600$ as you say.

Congratulations to you. And when the best Windows OS, Windows 7 comes out you will get it free too. What do you want a cookie? :D

mailman2
01-13-09, 08:55 AM

Its funny how you and VIN always seem to appear at the same time. Magic? Same person with 2 logins? Hmmm. I'm guessing the latter.

MAYBE TWINS!
(nana2)(nana2)

ViN86
01-13-09, 10:39 AM
Its funny how you and VIN always seem to appear at the same time. Magic? Same person with 2 logins? Hmmm. I'm guessing the latter.

MAYBE TWINS!
(nana2)(nana2)

yea almost. :rolleyes:

Wolfhound
01-14-09, 02:51 AM
Congratulations to you. And when the best Windows OS, Windows 7 comes out you will get it free too. What do you want a cookie? :D

No I was only pointing that you are a troll and insult people only cos you don´t like vista, get a life other than bashing OSes.

nuff said

weevil
01-14-09, 05:38 AM
i love Vista x64. runs perfectly

Same here.

I've got the open beta and the keys. Too scared to run the installer on my main machine though, it ain't broke. Yet. This can change :)

Peter