PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 lacking ?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

nekrosoft13
01-18-09, 05:54 PM
For a Beta 1 operating system, its very polished thats for sure. I've not run into any problems gaming, but there are a few issues with some application software I use, but I'm sure that will resolve once the different vendors release updates. Now with the recently released X-Fi Soundpack even my surround sound in movies and MP3's is working.

If it's this polished now, just imaging what the next 6 to 8 months will bring.

Sean_W is right, W7 is just vista second edition. so of course its polished.

Vista Sp1 and Server 2008 have same kernel
same with w7 and Server 2008 R2 will have same kernel (Vista Sp2 probably will have same kernel)

vista = nt 6.0
win7 = nt 6.1

Bearclaw
01-18-09, 05:54 PM
People are still arguing this?

Window 7 beta is superior. There is no argument. If you are an enthusiast, there is no reason you should D/L it and install it right now. It's free. It's perfectly stable, and it's just better.

QFT. It's my only O/S installed right now. :thumbsup:

zoomy942
01-18-09, 06:15 PM
People are still arguing this?

Window 7 beta is superior. There is no argument. If you are an enthusiast, there is no reason you should D/L it and install it right now. It's free. It's perfectly stable, and it's just better.

agreed. makes poor ubuntu look very silly.

mailman2
01-18-09, 07:41 PM
QFT. It's my only O/S installed right now. :thumbsup:

same here

Zelda_fan
01-18-09, 11:07 PM
It's polished because it's not really changed much from Vista technically, effectively it's a polished up Vista, same kernel as Windows server 2008. I'd expect simple stuff like that to work, why wouldn't it.

The kernel is about as different as XP was to 2000. Please STFU with this "it's just a vista service pack." It's not the difference between XP to Vista, but there is a LOT different under the hood.

Sean_W
01-19-09, 05:31 AM
The kernel is about as different as XP was to 2000. Please STFU with this "it's just a vista service pack." It's not the difference between XP to Vista, but there is a LOT different under the hood.

Excuse me?, did you actually read what I said or does this sort of attidude come free with this forum?

It's free to test, nothing more.

Dreamingawake
01-19-09, 10:36 AM
Well it would seem the general consensus is that Windows 7 is definitely NOT lacking.

:D

Bearclaw
01-19-09, 11:57 AM
Well it would seem the general consensus is that Windows 7 is definitely NOT lacking.

:D

:rofl I guess to answer the Thread Title, no, no it is not. I love it. I just wish I didn't have to revert back to Vista come August.

I mean, couldn't we continue to use it, just not get updates, etc.?

zoomy942
01-19-09, 12:50 PM
well - there ARE ways of removing the timer....

i'm just sayin'

AngelGraves13
01-19-09, 12:54 PM
Windows 7 needs a UAC mode where it never prompts you, so you can use the Gadgets and not be annoyed by Windows asking if you want to run CCleaner 10X in one day.

TweakUAC does the job though, so even if Microsoft doesn't get around to it, I have a way of doing it myself.

Bearclaw
01-19-09, 03:04 PM
Windows 7 needs a UAC mode where it never prompts you, so you can use the Gadgets and not be annoyed by Windows asking if you want to run CCleaner 10X in one day.

TweakUAC does the job though, so even if Microsoft doesn't get around to it, I have a way of doing it myself.

I haven't even messed with the UAC yet. In fact, I haven't even looked into it yet to see what level it is on for me (Will look right now). I have only had it pop up once in the past week. I like it as it is right now.

jlippo
01-20-09, 02:34 AM
Installed it to my little Acer Aspire One from thumb drive yesterday and it seems to work quite nicely. :)

MaxNorris
01-21-09, 11:00 AM
Lacking? Hardly. They're finally making a "worth while" OS that's more than just a cute interface over an OS thats "secure via annoyance".

Gave it a test drive myself on my older test rig. Athlon XP 3200+, nForce2 motherboard, 7800GS video, 2GB RAM. (Note that I did mention it was older.. I know I won't get the best "experience" with it.)

I was sad to see Microsoft finally dropped nForce2 support. Vista had a driver for the SMBus controller via updates; nothing for 7. (Although who knows when it goes RTM.) No surprise I suppose as it's old. I was able to install the nForce Unified Remix drivers from XP though, and surprisingly it worked, and pretty stable.

The overall "feel" felt a lot faster than Vista, no arguments there. Booting, app loading, memory usage, etc all felt a lot better than Vista.

Oddly though, I ran GeekBench on it on the "out of the box" install, and it actually clocked a little slower than the same in Vista. Overall feels faster, but raw CPU horsepower was lower. Maybe they changed something in the kernel that affected the benchmark? Perhaps. Plus being a beta, gotta take that one with a grain of salt anyway. Plus I am running it on unsupported hardware; my main system is newer but I don't use Winders as my main OS. Strangely enough, on this same hardware, Vista actually clocked a bit faster than Server 2008 Standard as well. Possibly a driver issue; I had to use the XP drivers on 2008 as well. On this rig, fastest to slowest, Arch Linux/KDE4 (absurdly fast)> Windows XP SP3 > 2003 > XP SP2 > Vista > 7 > 2008.

Performance aside, I actually liked the desktop "experience". Ok, the new taskbar is different. But once you get used to it, it actually makes sense; a hybrid of a dock and old-school taskbar. (You can make a regular taskbar out of it if you don't like change.) After messing around with it for a few minutes, I was loving it. Once all my day to day apps support Win7 directly for the taskbar features, it'll be very nice.

The "Desktop Peek" feature in the bottom-right of the screen is borderline useless though and just silly. Seeing outlines of the windows? No thanks; I'll never use it. Want to make it worth while? Make it function similar to Expose. (If you're unfamiliar with it, it shows all open windows on screen at the same time making it easy to find a particular application.. handy if you have a bajillion windows open at once.) A lot of window managers/applications knock-off Expose for a reason. It's a handy little function thats much much more useful than Flip3D, and just plain works.

I definitely like the new "file explorer sidebar", whatever thats called officially. The Vista version is just implemented rather poorly. Not consistent on all windows, some stuff can't be moved, the OS arbitrarily adds stuff to it depending on the dialog, etc etc. The 7 version is damn nice. Much cleaner, the "library" system is actually pretty handy too if you have a bajillion videos/audio files scattered across your network. Coupled with the indexing service, 7's file manager is downright excellent once you wrap your head around how it stores files.

I definitely love the side by side window feature of the desktop. Drag a window to the left or right side and it'll resize the window to fill half the screen. Move it away and it goes back to its old size. Move it to the top and it goes full screen. Simple but brilliant. I hope Compiz Fusion adds a plugin to do similar so I can get that functionality on my main desktop.

Seemed pretty stable for the most part, but it is a beta so that's not really a point yet. Would expect crashes and such until it gets into the release candidate phase.

Visually not much has changed from Vista. Still using Aero, a few tweaks here and there. GDI performance was still questionable at best, but that's something Microsoft looks to be moving away from anyway, and as my test system is a dinosaur, meh to be expected. The default wallpaper needs to go though :)

And speaking of looks, why oh why Microsoft do we still need to hack the damn OS just to change how it looks?? That bit of absurdity has been carried on since the very first version of XP, and is just a stupid design decision. Inflexibility at its finest. Corporate users aside, is there anyone who hasn't replaced their UXTheme.dll?

One other thing that would irk me, if I actually bought it, is Vista itself. (I'm an MSDN member) If I had shelled out a few hundred bucks on Vista Ultimate just to have it retired when Win7 is released, and have Win7 touted as what Vista should have been in the first place.. I'd be pretty mad. Probably gonna be a sore spot with Vista users I would guess.

The widgets (or is it gadgets?) are nicely improved too. A bit less resource intensive, and a lot more flexible now. Might actually be able to compete with Yahoo or whatever widgets you're into, if you use them. Vista's was ok, but just wayyyy bloated.

I like the changes they've done to UAC. Much less chatty now. I use Linux as my main desktop, so I'm no stranger to access elevation prompts. Separating root accounts from user accounts is a good. Running your day to day tasks as an administrator is just a horrible idea, and just asking for trouble. Microsoft finally caught onto that idea with Vista, but UAC was soooooo poorly implemented/annoying in Vista that most people turn the thing off just to save their sanity.

All in all 7 looks to be shaping up very nicely. Definitely "Vista done right". Once it goes gold I'm probably going to finally retire my XP partition and lay my XP discs to rest.. don't think I've had an OS ever last as long as XP has on my system.

mailman2
01-21-09, 11:43 AM
Ran into my first problems with Windows 7. RS vegas 2 will crash randomly - or for my buddy @ startup. Doesn't seem to be any working fixes yet for it. Not a big deal, except he just bought it and we wanted to play co-op story.

EDIT:
This seems to be an issue with CMEDIA sound drivers. Mine is CMEDIA 8768+ Of course there aren't any Windows 7 drivers. Mine will stop working with sound errors. Disabled my sound card and the game doesn't start at all. Using onboard audio seems to be ok.

My buddy has CMEDIA 8770 and the game just crashes at the start, like mine does with the sound card disabled.

Neither of us have issues in Vista or with onboard sound in W7. Grrr.

I think CMEDIA needs to update or put out a W7 beta driver.

Bearclaw
01-21-09, 11:58 AM
Only problem I am having is the install problem. I can't install Office.

zoomy942
01-21-09, 01:23 PM

wut?

Sean_W
01-21-09, 01:35 PM
I know it's a beta but the new task manager is really buggy, WLM is wacky with it(How ironic) I couldn't drag stuff to the panel, firefox seems to focus WLM when you bring it up. Seems like apps needs to be complient with or something, thats a wacky way of doing things.

Tipical some reboot fixed the dragging to the panel(typical windows fix, do a reboot). I feel sorry for the devs since XP, they had to fix all the crap Microsoft did to it and make it more modulized, one of the reasons why Vista took so long, it's just about time they made rebooting for updates a thing of the past. These changes must be so low level to force a reboot or it's part of the whole tied in design of Windows.

Saying that Apple are really bad at this, you have to reboot on Safari/iTunes/Quicktime updates, software shouldn't do this, it's that simple and it's bad design.

redviper
01-22-09, 05:46 PM

http://chris123nt.com/2009/01/18/sqm-client-causing-crashing-in-windows-7/

Try this.

Bearclaw
01-22-09, 05:55 PM
http://chris123nt.com/2009/01/18/sqm-client-causing-crashing-in-windows-7/

Try this.

Trying it now.

Moo
01-22-09, 07:20 PM
The "Desktop Peek" feature in the bottom-right of the screen is borderline useless though and just silly. Seeing outlines of the windows? No thanks; I'll never use it.

It's for viewing active gadgets.

Bearclaw
01-22-09, 07:48 PM
So, I have installed this twice now.

The first time, I just upgraded from Vista. I didn't want the hassle of the complete install, etc.

Tonight, I just installed from scratch. I popped in the disc at 7pm and I was setting things up, and using it at exactly 7:15. 15 minutes? Awesome.

There are a few gripes here and there, nothing huge. The biggest thing for me was the having a problem installing things before. I have to try to install MS Office and see if it works. If not, oh well. Only problem thus far. 7 is far from lacking. Also, the driver support is HUGE. It is absolutely fantastic. It found all my hardware on the first boot up. Microsoft has done something right this time, and it will work out well.

Sean_W
01-23-09, 07:26 AM
I think it's really buggy, Gadgets just broke and dont work anymore, I've got a old TR underworld demo icon stuck in the panel for good(looks like a blank doc icon), they change postitions in the panel from time to time.

Can't remember having such buggyness on other windows beta installs on such primary functions.

MaxNorris
01-23-09, 09:50 AM
It's for viewing active gadgets.

Ah. Now that makes a bit more sense. (I was never into the gadget thing so I didn't see how the peek feature was useful heh.)

Bearclaw
01-23-09, 10:03 AM
Ah. Now that makes a bit more sense. (I was never into the gadget thing so I didn't see how the peek feature was useful heh.)

I guess viewing active gadgets is ok but I would prefer what you mentioned earlier. Show ALL the windows for easier access to click on one.

mailman2
01-23-09, 11:02 AM
I think it's really buggy, Gadgets just broke and dont work anymore, I've got a old TR underworld demo icon stuck in the panel for good(looks like a blank doc icon), they change postitions in the panel from time to time.

Can't remember having such buggyness on other windows beta installs on such primary functions.

Gadgets work as long as UAC is enabled. I've posted a fix for that here -
http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=126016

No bugs here, works great!