PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 lacking ?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Dreamingawake
01-11-09, 10:04 AM
So I downloaded and installed the Windows 7 beta and..

It really doesn't seem much different from Vista at all.

Like.. as if Win. 7 couldn't have been applied to Vista in an update....

Am I missing something ?

ATOJAR
01-11-09, 11:09 AM
Yeah, Microsoft wouldent have made any money by applying it through a update!

Dreamingawake
01-11-09, 11:27 AM
Well yeah, that's true but if that is seriously the case then..

What's the point of Windows 7... Direct X 11 ?

(Assuming it's not possible in Vista, cause if it is.. then.. EFF Windows 7.. lol)

nekrosoft13
01-11-09, 11:39 AM
windows 7 is vista second edition, but since vista paranoia is still around they decided to change the name

windows 7 is not even version 7, it is NT version 6.1 (vista was 6.0)

JasonPC
01-11-09, 11:52 AM
I definitely think it is what Vista should have been. It reorganizes some things that fell through the cracks between XP and Vista. I do believe DX11 will come out for Vista though.

Zelda_fan
01-11-09, 12:00 PM
Windows 7 is amazing

mailman2
01-11-09, 12:32 PM
The last two posts pretty much sum it up. Windows 7 is what Vista was supposed to be if it were finished at the time. And yes, Windows 7 is amazing. Much lower resource usage, much quicker and snappier like XP.

Anyone that paid full price for Vista is going to get a screw job though.

mailman2
01-11-09, 12:34 PM
windows 7 is not even version 7, it is NT version 6.1 (vista was 6.0)

They are doing that for application compatibilty. The kernel is actually more like Windows server 2008.

mullet
01-11-09, 12:52 PM
windows 7 is vista second edition, but since vista paranoia is still around they decided to change the name.

BINGO!!!

Tr1cK
01-11-09, 04:06 PM
I love this OS.

The only things I found lacking so far has been the UAC-gadget problem and lack of Quick Launch toolbar. Pinning things to the taskbar is OK, but I keep Firefox and Explorer down there and when taskbar buttons don't grow to the right it throws me off. I made my own toolbar to replace Quick Launch and also hacked in the Vista sidebar that works with UAC off and doesn't take up even half the resources now.

Performance is second to none. In certain areas on WoW, I was having slow downs and some nasty hitching, but it is now gone with W7-64. I was running Vista 32 before, so that may be some of the difference.

mailman2
01-11-09, 04:48 PM
I was running Vista 32 before, so that may be some of the difference.

I think the performance difference you are seeing there are just the effects of Windows 7 not using every last system resource like Vista does. It's great to come out of a game and see 600MB memory usage, not 1.6GB like Vista. So I'm pretty sure the performance increases in Windows 7 comes from the superior resource management and the fact that the OS isn't sucking your CPU and Ram constantly like Vista does.

This OS runs on laptops that could not even run Vista. There is a big performance difference between this OS and Vista, it's not just a coincedence.

Zelda_fan
01-11-09, 05:09 PM
All I'm saying is that Windows 7 is only in beta 1 stage right now, and it's ALREADY better than Vista SP1. Once the code hits RTM it's gonna kill it.

noko
01-11-09, 05:11 PM
So in essence it is a service pack being sold as a new operating system. Great job Microsoft!

Zelda_fan
01-11-09, 05:13 PM
I guess the one thing I like a lot more in Windows 7 is the focus is more on the taskbar and less on the desktop (this is how Mac OSX does it). To get to the desktop you have to minimize all your windows, but you always have access to the taskbar so if that's your main go to to start apps, then productivity increases. In fact, I'd say this is the first version of windows that productivity-wise is on-par with a mac. The ability to right click on an icon on the taskbar and open a document is pure genius. My only complaint is they should take it a step further. I wish I could pin "My Computer" to the taskbar, so anytime I had to get to the device manager I could get there quickly.

saturnotaku
01-11-09, 05:16 PM
So in essence it is a service pack being sold as a new operating system. Great job Microsoft!

Not the first time they've done this. Remember Windows 98 SE?

Zelda_fan
01-11-09, 05:16 PM

uhh, have you tried Windows 7? Probably not. It's a lot better than a service pack. This is the first time in a while I've been excited about a new version of Windows.

Download the beta and check it out. I'm using it as my main OS it's so good.

JasonPC
01-11-09, 08:11 PM
I will say that the beta seems extremely polished compared to the Vista betas. Honestly I think it's more stable than some of the Vista release candidates. At this point Vista hands down is more ironed out for bugs though. And I think there was a bigger leap in terms of features from XP to Vista than Vista to Win 7. But some performance was lost in the process. Windows 7 brings back the performance.

Tr1cK
01-11-09, 09:16 PM
Bugs? There aint many. This thing is more stable and fast than any of my Vista installs.

JasonPC
01-11-09, 09:48 PM
I've seen a couple quirks with a few applications. No huge stability issues though and it definitely is faster.

Tuork
01-11-09, 10:16 PM
Any idea on the release date for Windows 7?

From the feedback I've read so far, looks like it's going to be a very nice OS... too bad for those who bought Vista I guess. (Mine came with laptop :p)

a12ctic
01-11-09, 10:40 PM
I definitely agree with zelda, Windows 7 is a big step forward for Windows. Compared to Vista its so much smoother and speedier, everything just seems more fluid. I like the direction they took with the task bar. I'm actually sort of looking forward to it. If I'm going to be sticking with Windows for gaming on my main PC, it will at least be nice to step into something less dated than XP.

mailman2
01-12-09, 06:46 AM
Any idea on the release date for Windows 7?

From the feedback I've read so far, looks like it's going to be a very nice OS... too bad for those who bought Vista I guess. (Mine came with laptop :p)

Early 2010, but I have a feeling we will see it in 2009 sometime. MS wants to get Vista out and Windows 7 in as quickly as possible. I predict by Xmas this year it will be out.

six_storm
01-12-09, 07:45 AM
Early 2010, but I have a feeling we will see it in 2009 sometime. MS wants to get Vista out and Windows 7 in as quickly as possible. I predict by Xmas this year it will be out.

I've always heard/had in the back of my mind that it would release this summer.

Tr1cK
01-12-09, 07:53 AM
I've always heard/had in the back of my mind that it would release this summer.

I dont think it will release before the beta expires.

thor1182
01-12-09, 09:04 AM
so anyone figure out how to get "documents" to correctly point to another drive?

In XP you could change the target location for my documents to anywhere, and all the apps would read the change. In Vista you can do something similar, however it did cause a few XP apps like C&C3 to have issues when you remapped documents.

So far I can point individual folders like my music and what not to different locations, but when I fire up itunes, it still thinks documents/my music is in the C:\users...

maybe that's for the better but its not what I want. I also noticed the same behavior out of VS2008, but I am not concerned about that one.