PDA

View Full Version : Triple boot Windows: XP, Vista, and 7?

ryan29121
01-13-09, 11:04 AM
Currently I have a dual boot of windows xp and vista x64 on a 320gb drive. I also have a 1TB secondary drive for backing up things, so if possible I would prefer to install windows 7 on my larger secondary as my primary one is pretty filled up. I downloaded windows 7 beta and I want to give it a try but I don't want to get rid of either xp or vista. How would I go about installing windows 7 in a triple boot. Also would I be able to get all three to show up in the same boot menu? Thanks in advance for your help.

Tr1cK
01-13-09, 11:25 AM
I think running 3 versions of Windows is absurd. Unless you have something that absolutely requires XP, then kick it to the curb for Windows 7. At most, I would dual boot Windows 7 and Vista if I didn't require XP. I'm 100% Windows 7 now with no regrets. It is the best OS Microsoft has ever released to date.

nekrosoft13
01-13-09, 11:36 AM
It is the best OS Microsoft has ever released to date.

that will release :D

ChAsM
01-13-09, 11:47 AM
I won't say it's the best until it's more time-tested, but I must say, I like it (Windows 7) so far. Seems very stable for a beta.

ryan29121
01-13-09, 12:07 PM
Well i don't really want to get rid of xp because I like it and use it for some things. Is there anyway to triple boot all three?

Tr1cK
01-13-09, 12:07 PM
that will release :D

indeed

Toss3
01-13-09, 12:26 PM
I won't say it's the best until it's more time-tested, but I must say, I like it (Windows 7) so far. Seems very stable for a beta.

I must say that it is better than xp and vista, but only marginally so; most of the "new" applications suck(I'm looking at IE8 beta :bleh:).

I think microsoft should stop bundling crappy applications such as paint, wordpad, IE8, windows media center, windows dvd maker, windows firewall, windows defender and windows media player with the OS itself and instead make them available for free from their servers(or put them on a separate disc for those who buy it).

I hate having loads of applications that take up unnecessary space.

I mean why can't they release a basic stripped down version? :(

Tr1cK
01-13-09, 01:03 PM
Toss, if you haven't noticed, Win 7 does not come with email, photo editing, or DVD authoring software bloat. This is a step in the right direction. I do kind of miss email, but Thunderbird takes care of it. I do think they should only ship windows with a few core features such as a slimmed down Internet Explorer and Media Player Classic and the rest be modular, free upgrades from Microsoft.

mailman2
01-13-09, 01:11 PM
Toss, if you haven't noticed, Win 7 does not come with email, photo editing, or DVD authoring software bloat. This is a step in the right direction. I do kind of miss email, but Thunderbird takes care of it. I do think they should only ship windows with a few core features such as a slimmed down Internet Explorer and Media Player Classic and the rest be modular, free upgrades from Microsoft.

Unless they bundle it with CS4 and Nero I'm not really interested in using MS provided ****ware. Do people still use POP email?? I guess the things you mentioned probably aren't important to many people anymore, and for other utilities unless MS bundles Photoshop, nero, etc whats the point of them putting half assed utilities in the OS?

Dragunov
01-13-09, 01:26 PM
I would use Win XP and Windows 7, cause Windows 7 is just the better version of Vista

Toss3
01-13-09, 01:32 PM
I would use Win XP and Windows 7, cause Windows 7 is just the better version of Vista

+1 :)

Sgt_Pitt
01-13-09, 10:24 PM
Theres a download on their site which includes photo/ mail/ messenger etc for win 7

pRATTICUS
01-21-09, 06:13 PM
Jesus, way to derail the OP guys.

To the OP: just create a new partition of 50Gb or so then do a fresh (full) installation of W7 and it will recognize your other OS in the bootloader and give you the option of what to boot into as usual.

No further muss is required, I have quad-boot and have never had to download third party garbage, etc. to get a multi-boot working.

I think one caveat is that you must install the "oldest" OS first, else the boot loader will not recognize the newer OSs - so as long as you are installing W7 last, you should have no problem.

MUFC4EVER
01-25-09, 12:57 PM

To the OP: just create a new partition of 50Gb or so then do a fresh (full) installation of W7 and it will recognize your other OS in the bootloader and give you the option of what to boot into as usual.

No further muss is required, I have quad-boot and have never had to download third party garbage, etc. to get a multi-boot working.

I think one caveat is that you must install the "oldest" OS first, else the boot loader will not recognize the newer OSs - so as long as you are installing W7 last, you should have no problem.

I absolutely agree with this post. I have all 3 OS's running and bootloader works flawlessly.

I used a 30gb partition because I'm not loading any games which is why I'm keeping XP for the time being as it's the best gaming platform.

Cheers

(nana2)

PC_Head
01-27-09, 09:33 AM

Do what im doing with it and you may think a little different. I edit a lot of music and pictures and also film. I have an AMD AM2+ 8650 Triple core Phenom, Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 rev 2 MoBo and 4Gig of some of the best Ram Corsair has to offer and i would still, at this point use Xp Sp2 over Win 7 32-bit. (The Ram is set at the correct timings and the CPU is O/C to 2.52GHz). I tried using Win 7 64-bit and it was even slower then Xp, i kid you not! So, i need to have open and running several programs at the same time and the OS just cant cope, at this moment. I have sent Microsoft so much feedback, they may ask me to build the next one Ha!(JOKING!!) Currently it has crshed, froze, rebooted by itself, wouldnt boot, wouldnt shut down, wouldnt open programs, wouldnt...wouldnt...wouldnt etc, and thats the 32-bit OS. The 64 i found to be even worse then that! I dont get right into the guts of the OS like some of you may, but for what i use it for, at the moment Xp is for me. If there are 5 levels of computerism: 1.Dumb as a shoe. 2.Beginner. 3.Intermediate. 4.Addvanced and 5.Expert, i would have to say im around the two and a half mark, maybe a bit below that. I hope they will iron out a lot of errors befor the final. :afro: man.

PC_Head
01-27-09, 09:40 AM

Ok, so what if you (I) want to run xp, Win 7 32 and Win 7 64? I tried and it would not see xp. wiped it out completely. When i installed Win 7 32, bootloader gave two options, Xp or 7. After installing 7 64, no Xp. And to get it back.............im on Xp right now. Which means i formated the HDD partitions were Win 7s were and repaired the bootloader, cause 7 seemed to have killed it, via the Xp cd. Problems!!! AH!!!!!!!!!!

pRATTICUS
01-27-09, 10:25 AM
Historically, I have always installed the 32 bit versions before the equivalent 64 bit versions and never had a problem. It just comes up as 2 options of the same OS (one being 32 and one being 64). You can rename them if you wish to be more explicit.

What sort of partition are you installing to? Is it a logical drive or a primary partition?

Here is a snapshot of my Disk Management window from within W7:

MUFC4EVER
01-27-09, 01:55 PM
Ok, so what if you (I) want to run xp, Win 7 32 and Win 7 64? I tried and it would not see xp. wiped it out completely. When i installed Win 7 32, bootloader gave two options, Xp or 7. After installing 7 64, no Xp. And to get it back.............im on Xp right now. Which means i formated the HDD partitions were Win 7s were and repaired the bootloader, cause 7 seemed to have killed it, via the Xp cd. Problems!!! AH!!!!!!!!!!

Vista BootPro 3.3 is your friend!! Google and you will find.

It also has a superb forum with loads of very helpful posts. The forum has sorted out some issues I previously had when I tried to install XP and Vists 32 and XP was not recognised.

Highly recommended!

(lee63)

shiva19
05-25-09, 05:13 AM
have had both xp and vista ultimate, now i have installed windows 7 on a differenr drive.
When I have remove the drive I cannot dual boot from vista or xp.
The dual boot is now win7 and vista.

Please help how can I return back to my initial dual boot manager.

shiva19
05-25-09, 05:24 AM
have had both xp and vista ultimate, now i have installed windows 7 on a differenr drive.
When I have remove the drive I cannot dual boot from vista or xp.
The dual boot is now win7 and vista.

Please help how can I return back to my initial dual boot manager.:headexplode:

Sazar
05-25-09, 10:47 AM
Not sure if you can unless you start from scratch.

Alternatively, just run XP virtualized from within Windows 7 if your processor supports it.

Quick420
05-25-09, 12:00 PM
Use all older components and hardware and build an Xp only rig.Thats my plan,use it for good old gaming and thats it.I have a feeling that after I install 7 for the first time the others will become obsolete anyways,but Xp's worth saving for gaming.My 2cents guys(nana2)