PDA

View Full Version : new ti4200.....overclocks bad

yoladude
05-29-03, 06:09 PM
the core is overclocking fairly well, but if i move the memory up at all (the next allowed setting in rivatuner is 540 up from 513) then i get flashing textures during 3dmark. i open up my case, it isn't that hot inside, but the memory chips are uncomfortable to touch even at stock clocks. it's an xfx 4200 128mb.
the ram modules are samsung, and the last four numbers on the second line are "TC40", so i'm assuming they're 4ns modules.

i've looked at the newest review for it at newegg, and some other guy has the same trouble i do....older memory modules. i have a sneaky suspician that xfx (and this card is advertised as having 3.6ns modules, btw) has taken old cards and simply updated the bios to have them run at a higher speed. and now, max payne crashes whenever i try to play it! damn...i'm probably gonna rma it and get the gainward one with 3.6ns ram unless anyone can offer a suggestion.

yoladude
05-29-03, 06:57 PM
edit: nevermind. i really don't want to go through the whole process of sending it back. i'll oc the core some more, and have some fun with that. besides, from oc'ing the core and memory to their max, most sites only get another thousand 3dmarks or 20 fps in quake 3. maybe it's just not worth it.

but i've read reviews stating that tey're "badwidth starved." would performance really be affected that much if i overclocked?

yoladude
05-29-03, 09:25 PM
bump

Geforce4ti4200
05-29-03, 11:55 PM
dude you need to use powerstrip, rivatuner doesnt overclock right for me, powerstrip ocs in increments of 1MHz and overclocked much further :confused:

chigger_ns
05-30-03, 03:23 PM
I have the same card and I have no problems. Mines clocked at 315/545. My only problem is that the gpu fan got noisey, so I put a thermal take gf4 cooler and ram sinks on it. Never tried to clock higher yet.
And I believe the ram that was used on the first 128meg cards....like mine and yours ....were the slower ram. Only the 64 meg cards had the faster ram.
:afro:

BY THE WAY!
|
|
|
|
V

yoladude
05-30-03, 05:45 PM
lol.....thx....hmmm. maybe i'll try opening my case and oc'ing it a little bit....or i can pick up some ramsinks or stuff. i'm still not sure whether or not to rma it though, cause i'm still pissed at xfx for not mentioning this.