PDA

View Full Version : Why no LucasArts downloads?

paleocons FTFW
01-13-09, 05:28 PM
Why doesn't LucasArts sell their games via digital downloads?

Noriega
01-13-09, 05:54 PM
because they fu** faggots since they make games for consoles?

NarcissistZero
01-13-09, 06:06 PM
They haven't abandoned the PC, look at the upcomming KotOR MMO...

Force Unleashed would not have fit on PC, trust me. It was like a Ninja Gaiden game.

NaitoSan
01-13-09, 06:17 PM
Force Unleashed will do fine on PC. The gameplay is very much similar to Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy and it was on PC.

NarcissistZero
01-13-09, 06:22 PM
Force Unleashed will do fine on PC. The gameplay is very much similar to Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy and it was on PC.

And Devil May Cry is on PC too, but I still don't think it's a good fit.

More to the point though, I can only imagine the abundant negativity all over forums if Force Unleashed ever came to PC. The screams of "dumbed down" and "not as good as Jedi Knight" and "why does it run crappy (physics)" would be almost unbearable.

NaitoSan
01-13-09, 06:59 PM
That's like saying FPS isn't a good fit on consoles but those kind of games' selling really well. Chances that kind of those games will sell well on PC, if it's being ported properly.

Devil May Cry 4 did pretty well (even though gameplay's not like The Force Unleashed but more like Ninja Gaiden), so no doubts The Force Unleashed would probably do even better (Because of Star Wars license) with some improvement over console version (changes with Star Destroyer sequence, fixed bugs, higher resolution textures, etc.). It'd be silly to say no to a PC port, and keeping PC gaming from growing.

Even if we get poor PC port, at least PC gaming is still being supported than not at all. Really, people will always complain, no matter if there's a port, or no port.

paleocons FTFW
01-13-09, 07:22 PM
I was talking about the games they've already made (e.g., Jedi Knight, Armed and Dangerous, the SCUMM engine games.)

|MaguS|
01-13-09, 07:31 PM
so no doubts The Force Unleashed would probably do even better (Because of Star Wars license) with some improvement over console version (changes with Star Destroyer sequence, fixed bugs, higher resolution textures, etc.). It'd be silly to say no to a PC port, and keeping PC gaming from growing.

You know whats funny? No game that was ported to the PC has ever outsold the console version... no matter the improvements in graphics or performance. So I dout Star Wars The Force Unleashed would...

mailman2
01-13-09, 07:40 PM
The problem isn't the PC its the lazy porting. If they developed for the PC then dumbed them down for the console the situation would be alot better. How hard can it be to swap high res for low res and remove mouse / keyboard controler? Seriously thats gotta be alot easier than the mess they have been making lately with the long delayed and crap ports.

Noriega
01-13-09, 07:42 PM
You know whats funny? No game that was ported to the PC has ever outsold the console version... no matter the improvements in graphics or performance. So I dout Star Wars The Force Unleashed would...

Yeah I like to talk about console game sales... my dic* is getting bigger so go on

mailman2
01-13-09, 07:43 PM

Thats because they delay the PC version in the hopes of more sales on the console. Its all business and money. Its not that PC sales are worse or piracy is more rampant it's the lazy road the devs have just gotten used to taken, and the quality of the ports that are hurting PC sale. If they developed and released the PC version first, ported and delayed the console versions PC gaming would be doing alot better.

NaitoSan
01-13-09, 07:45 PM
That's true but what I was saying was toward PC sales only.

NaitoSan
01-13-09, 07:46 PM
I was talking about the games they've already made (e.g., Jedi Knight, Armed and Dangerous, the SCUMM engine games.)
Maybe we'll see those on Steam sometime in the future, if not sooner.

paleocons FTFW
01-13-09, 08:12 PM
Thats because they delay the PC version in the hopes of more sales on the console. Its all business and money. Its not that PC sales are worse or piracy is more rampant it's the lazy road the devs have just gotten used to taken, and the quality of the ports that are hurting PC sale. If they developed and released the PC version first, ported and delayed the console versions PC gaming would be doing alot better.
It would be pretty damn nice if the PC was the lead development platform for everything.
I personally think it's kind of dumb to give consoles priority because that usually limits the tech quality of the game. On the other hand, few people care about tech quality these days. I happen to be one of those few due to the fact that I dislike consoles for the most part.

paleocons FTFW
01-13-09, 08:13 PM
Maybe we'll see those on Steam sometime in the future, if not sooner.
Hopefully.

crainger
01-14-09, 12:20 AM

Not much like Psi Ops. Psi Ops was fun. Unleashed was just ok. I agree, no point for PC, the game isn't that good, PC gamers would complain and those who would buy it probably already have it on console. It's the Gears of War effect, those who want to play it on PC already bought it on console. That's why later releases on PC are a bad thing for PC and devs like Cliffy B get all Uppity about it.

K007
01-14-09, 03:09 AM

Isn't console sales usually all consoles combined and pc sales is just pc sales on retail?...without accounting the online sales?..and also they delay the pc version..so that hurts as well.

|MaguS|
01-14-09, 08:58 AM
Isn't console sales usually all consoles combined and pc sales is just pc sales on retail?...without accounting the online sales?..and also they delay the pc version..so that hurts as well.

No recently they have been taking into account Online Sales and even Steam sales... While most numbers are often entire console sales they often break it down on a per platform sales aswell.

Lets take GTA4 as an example... it sold over 3 million units in over a month on just the PS3 (which at the time had less then 15 million consoles in homes)... Im willing to bet the PC version will barely hit 1 million... if it does (since it debuted at number 7 with it falling off the charts the next round). Now you can use the excuse of it being a poor port but being that it still is a superior (?) version to the console... it is a poor excuse.

Noriega
01-14-09, 09:30 AM
No recently they have been taking into account Online Sales and even Steam sales... While most numbers are often entire console sales they often break it down on a per platform sales aswell.

Lets take GTA4 as an example... it sold over 3 million units in over a month on just the PS3 (which at the time had less then 15 million consoles in homes)... Im willing to bet the PC version will barely hit 1 million... if it does (since it debuted at number 7 with it falling off the charts the next round). Now you can use the excuse of it being a poor port but being that it still is a superior (?) version to the console... it is a poor excuse.

Gran Turismo is good while Flat Out is mroe fun.

|MaguS|
01-14-09, 09:41 AM
Gran Turismo is good while Flat Out is mroe fun.

Those are two different types of games... thats like comparing Quake 3 and Rainbow Six Rogue Spear...