PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard for 4+ simultaneous depressions.

J-Mag
01-14-09, 06:11 PM
All the keyboards I have used will only let me use three keys simultaneously. Has anyone found a keyboard that allows 4 or even 5?

Bman212121
01-14-09, 06:17 PM
All the keyboards I have used will only let me use three keys simultaneously. Has anyone found a keyboard that allows 4 or even 5?

That used to be a common issue on older PS/2 keyboards. All I have is Dell KBs in front of me right now but I'll try my eclipse when I get home.

hehe, I just tested the keyboard I'm using, and it will let me use 4-keys at a time. It's just a generic Dell USB keyboard.

Mine will do it with certain key combos, but not others. If I hold down a key and start adding keys one at a time with notepad open, I can see what keys it will let me use together. For instance, if I have w and a down, I cannot even press s for some reason, but I can press d. As long as they are spaced out I could have 5 or 6 keys held down and still hit another one. This one doesn't have the arrow key bug though. I can hold up and down and still hit left or right. A lot of PS/2 keyboards won't let you do that. (Useful for burnouts on a motorcycle, think GTA series. :))

J-Mag
01-14-09, 06:19 PM
hehe, I just tested the keyboard I'm using, and it will let me use 4-keys at a time. It's just a generic Dell USB keyboard.

How exactly did you test?

J-Mag
01-14-09, 06:20 PM
That used to be a common issue on older PS/2 keyboards. All I have is Dell KBs in front of me right now but I'll try my eclipse when I get home.

Yeah, I am suspecting that my USB keyboard is actually a PS/2 keyboard with a USB converter.

Bman212121
01-14-09, 08:40 PM
Hmm I'm not sure if my Eclipse II is much better. There are certain button combos you can't hit otherwise you can't add another button.

Bman212121
01-14-09, 08:55 PM
hmmm, can you try wasd? That seemed to be the one that didn't work as well on the keyboards I tried.

DeusGear
01-14-09, 09:52 PM
My keyboard (das ultimate) allows for 12 simultaneous key presses.
http://i43.tinypic.com/dxbqjs.jpg
There is the same version of the keyboard with letters if you can't handle black (also the keys are gold plated switches for that traditional awesome feel).

http://www.daskeyboard.com/

CaptNKILL
01-14-09, 11:00 PM
I held down ASDF at the same time, and that combo was rapidly repeated in notepad. Wouldn't do it with 5 keys though.

Eh? That doesn't work for me. It just repeats the last key pressed, I've never seen a keyboard work any differently when entering text.

Maybe your drivers do something strange with the keyboard input.

Bman212121
01-14-09, 11:55 PM
Eh? That doesn't work for me. It just repeats the last key pressed, I've never seen a keyboard work any differently when entering text.

Maybe your drivers do something strange with the keyboard input.

Actually surprisingly enough, when I tried that on my keyboard it does:

asdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfs df

It seems to forget about the a and just repeat 3 characters.

CaptNKILL
01-15-09, 12:16 AM
That's really weird. I've never seen that before. :lol:

This is what mine does:

sdfaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
sadffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
sdfaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
sdfaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
fdsaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

It just repeats the last key pressed. If I press a 5th key though it stops completely.

I remember having problems with older (cheaper) keyboards when I used the arrow keys to play FPSs because they didn't like having some keys pressed together (arrow up, arrow left and control, for walking diagonally while crouched) but since getting better keyboards and moving to WASD I haven't had a problem like that in years.

I'm using a Logitech Ultra-X Flat now.

EciDemon
01-15-09, 02:27 AM
Captn there's a difference if you press and hold the keys in sucession vs simultanious when writing like that, least on the HP board here at work.

I have never found a keyboard that accepts may keystrokes at once, It's very annoying when I create music and try to hit certain chords on the keyboard. Some key kombos will not accept a third key for example where other combos it works.

CaptNKILL
01-15-09, 02:35 AM
Captn there's a difference if you press and hold the keys in sucession vs simultanious when writing like that, least on the HP board here at work.

I have never found a keyboard that accepts may keystrokes at once, It's very annoying when I create music and try to hit certain chords on the keyboard. Some key kombos will not accept a third key for example where other combos it works.

I'm not pressing any in succession. I'm holding them all down.

I'd be surprised if anyone could press 4 keys down at the exact same nanosecond. It'd probably cause the world to implode or something. :lol:

EDIT: It seems to depend on which keys are being pressed too. I can press and hold ASDF and it'll repeat the last one pressed but if I try ASDFG it doesn't register at all. If I move over one key and press ASDFH it works fine. The number of keys that can be registered at the same time must just depend on how the keys are split up internally on the circuit board.

EciDemon
01-15-09, 02:41 AM
Well I just had to try my self when I red here, if I press a s d f in rapid succession result is asdffffff and so on
and when I hit them at the same time it will be asdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdf that's all :)

It has to be rather exact when you hit the keys at the same time though.

CaptNKILL
01-15-09, 02:45 AM
I'm totally confused by what you're saying. :lol:

When I put 4 fingers on ASDF, and I press them at the same time and hold them I get this:

adfssssssssssssssssss

How are you getting asdfasdfasdfasdfasdf?

EciDemon
01-15-09, 03:33 AM
By doing what you just did I suppose. Got to try this at home on my G15v2 and see if it behaves the same. Maybe it's just not working on your keyboard. While you have to be rather exact it's still easy to hit them all in a close enough time frame required. If your too slow it might register as: "asdfdfdfdf" instead ...

RTY is a key combo that don't work here, but any two of those three keys will work.
I've always been annoyed by keyboard limitations like these, I thought that would go away once keyboards used USB but nooo ...
I run into this almost daily when composing music as I often jam directly on the keyboard instead of my midi one.

DeusGear
01-15-09, 03:37 AM
Watch this:
qwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuio qwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuio qwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuio qwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuio qwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuio qwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuio qwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuio qwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuio qwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuio qwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuio qwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuio qwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuio qwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuioqwcernyuio qwcern

Roliath
01-16-09, 09:18 AM
My dell 104key keyboard at work.

sdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasd fasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfa sdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasd fasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfa sdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasd fasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfa sdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasd fasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfa sdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasd fasdfasdfa

wqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwq wqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwq wqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwq

32132132132132132132132132132132132132132132132132 13213213213213213213213213213213213213213213213213 21321321

4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa 4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa 4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa 4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa 4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa4sdfa

Toss3
01-16-09, 09:25 AM
My g11 apparantly supports a maximum of 6 simultaneous depressions(depending on which keys you push). :)

Tr1cK
01-16-09, 10:19 AM
fdsafdsafdsafdsafdsafdsafdsafdsafdsa

hfdsafdsafdsafdsafdsafdsafdsa

ewqewq

khfdsakhfdsakhfdsakhfdsakhfdsakhfdsakhfdsakhfdsakh fdsa

Only some of mine work together. A-S-D-F-G won't work, but A-S-D-F-H will.
This is on my Dell multimedia keyboard at work.

Koko56
01-20-09, 06:11 PM
Guys, guys - does not Razer boast about this stuff?

Just checked it and it says 10 keys max. Also - zat German keibord luks veri od. The blank one that is... at the same time I want one though! Boh versions tbh...

I wonder - can you turn off the lights on the Ultimate one so that there are no symbols being shown?

EDIT: Okay, why not...

fgddddddddddddddddddddddddsgfddddddddddddddddddddd ddddddrewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Up to 4 keys and the last one pressed repeats, five and it stop completely