PDA

View Full Version : PhysX Q&A with nVidia!

MaxFX
01-15-09, 01:57 PM
Just stumbled over this Q&A and man is it much to read or what :D

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/450284.aspx

mailman2
01-15-09, 03:44 PM
In mirror's edge I had to disable physx on the 4th level inside where there is glass and flags. It was unplayable just walking into the room. With Physx disabled you still get glass breaking and flags waving and 62 fps. Physx seems like another useless, un-needed marketing gimmick.

Physx = meh.

MaxFX
01-15-09, 05:38 PM
Yeah we have heard you the first time in the Mirrors Edge thread Einstein!

BTW that just shows you are a PIRATE, next time BUY the frikking game instead of talking out your ass. the dev have a trigger if you dont know A.S hole. I know one of the devs so you just STFUK and go away!

mailman2
01-15-09, 05:42 PM
Yeah we have heard you the first time in the Mirrors Edge thread Einstein!

BTW that just shows you are a PIRATE, next time BUY the frikking game instead of talking out your ass. the dev have a trigger if you dont know A.S hole. I know one of the devs so you just STFUK and go away!

WTF are you talking about, I bought it. Its the physx in that part of the game that kill the performance, not the trigger that I told everyone about for pirated copies. so please STFU, GFTO.

http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1903587&postcount=119

WeReWoLf
01-15-09, 05:49 PM
C'mon kiddies, calm it down in here before a mod has to lock you two in.

MaxFX
01-15-09, 06:29 PM
C'mon kiddies, calm it down in here before a mod has to lock you two in.

You may be right but to hear him ***** about how bad Physx is bla bla all over every thread when its so new and how many games is out yet, so sure he knows it all and as I said about the trigger.
I know the devs made it that way so it surely seems to be at exactly that spot he is talking about and if he is a simple Pirate I have nothing more to say to him!

But if he got problem there and have bought the copy im sorry for that and I say exuse me but no exuse for him *****ing about things he have no idea of like PhysX. case closed!

mailman2
01-15-09, 06:38 PM
The only time I've ever complained of PhysX was in this game. Never before. So whoever you are talking about isn't even me. I'm disappointed with the slow down that I am seeing in the part I'm at right now, it goes from 62 FPS to nothing.

The trigger starts affecting the game at the beginning of level 4. I'm 3/4 of the way through it. You can't even jump once the trigger kicks in, I know this because my buddy had this problem with the game and he showed me a fraps video of what happens. I bought my copy yesterday from Gamestop.

MaxFX
But if he got problem there and have bought the copy im sorry for that and I say exuse me but no exuse for him *****ing about things he have no idea of like PhysX. case closed!

You need to get hooked on phonics, go ask your Mom for some help with your homework.

Albo
01-15-09, 06:58 PM
(popcorn)

Misfire
01-15-09, 10:01 PM
PhysX seems to run great for me, I don't get the slowdown your talking about in that part. Try to update ur physx to version 9, the game provides version of 8 that causes problems.

mailman2
01-15-09, 11:35 PM
PhysX seems to run great for me, I don't get the slowdown your talking about in that part. Try to update ur physx to version 9, the game provides version of 8 that causes problems.

Yea I updated to 9 and it's ok now. With the version on the disk though it was nearly unplayable in that one room with the flags and the glass breaking. Was nuts.

mailman2
01-15-09, 11:42 PM
oh and btw for those that claimed I pirated it....

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/7113/img1647pg5.jpg

Yaboze
01-16-09, 12:40 AM
Nice desk. :captnkill:

You need FF and Adblock Plus.

(nana2)

Buio
01-16-09, 04:59 AM
Nice desk. :captnkill:
You need FF and Adblock Plus.
(nana2)

I prefer Firefox+Noscript. Ads keep sites alive so I don't mind them and Noscript removes the intrusive stuff instead.

MaxFX
01-16-09, 06:17 AM
Okey Sorry Mr Mailman must obviously taken you for another dude so pleaze dont hang yourself ;)

Blade
01-16-09, 07:07 AM
Okey Sorry Mr Mailman must obviously taken you for another dude so pleaze dont hang yourself ;)

i thought it was only Sweden where they hung themselve's ? ;)

weevil
01-16-09, 08:59 AM
Physx seems like another useless, un-needed marketing gimmick

Until you update your drivers, then it seems ok apparently. Not exactly thought-through was it :)

Peter

mailman2
01-16-09, 11:37 PM
It doesnt add anything to the gameplay. I'd rather have the FPS than a few shards of glass and flags waving...

So no, I still feel it's nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

Buio
01-17-09, 05:23 AM
It doesnt add anything to the gameplay. I'd rather have the FPS than a few shards of glass and flags waving...
So no, I still feel it's nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

It will not be integrated into gameplay until a big enough marketshare can use it. Until then it is extra graphic effects. If you don't like that, then fine. People don't like Crysis either which is heavy on extra graphics fluff for those with the hardware to handle it.

Funny enough, PhysX is now owned and pushed by NVidia who happens to be big on graphics cards.

PhysX is used as physics engine in games too, without the need of hardware acceleration. Recently I think Sacred 2 used it f.e. On this end, it's most about which is a better physics engine, Havok (Intel) and PhysX are two commercial available ones. Other games like Crysis had it's own physics engine.

Best would be if PhysX would be fully opened up so also ATI could use it. But aren't they developing their own GPU accelerated engine now?

Madpistol
01-17-09, 09:43 AM
After playing through the first few levels of Mirror's edge with physx enabled, I had to disable it in the level with all the glass shards due to an awful framerate drop.

Funny enough, I'm thinking about buying an 8800 GT or 9600 GT just so I can see the physx effects in its full glory. Am I crazy? :headexplode:

MaxFX
01-17-09, 01:05 PM
Not at all mate as I will go for a GTX285 and keep my 8800GT just for PhysX, have waited a long time for this and rest assured this is just the begining. EA / 2K and even UBI Soft has all signed up to use PhysX. I say go or you just blow :D

This is the future and thank nVidia for that!

mailman2
01-17-09, 04:49 PM
After playing through the first few levels of Mirror's edge with physx enabled, I had to disable it in the level with all the glass shards due to an awful framerate drop.

Funny enough, I'm thinking about buying an 8800 GT or 9600 GT just so I can see the physx effects in its full glory. Am I crazy? :headexplode:

Yea, at this point there arent enough PhysX apps to justify spending $100 for a card for PhysX. I was considering a 8800GT too for this reason. I'll hold off for now though.

B0ne
01-17-09, 05:18 PM
oh and btw for those that claimed I pirated it....

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/7113/img1647pg5.jpg

I really like the cover art on that. Simple but cool.
I may buy it just because it would look good on my shelf...