PDA

View Full Version : British Author Bails Out DOOM 4 Storyline

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
01-15-09, 08:14 PM
C&VG reports that id Software has hired British author Graham Joyce to help write the storyline for DOOM 4.
CVG can confirm that British Fantasy award winning author Graham Joyce is writing the story to the game as you read this, though he had signed his life away and was unable to tell us anything about the direction the game was taking. We did ask. "I can say that ID have hired me to help develop the storyline potential," was all Joyce would give us when contacted.

Joyce has published fourteen novels and twenty-six short stories to date. He even picked up a few British Fantasy awards, so he knows what he's doing. Does he know Doom though? We'll have to wait and find out.
Story + Doom = Fail before you even start. When I think DOOM, I think lots of hellspawn, guns, and one pissed marine. Painkiller was more in the spirit of the DOOM that I love than DOOM 3 was. What do you think?

http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=26479

Zelda_fan
01-15-09, 08:28 PM
I hated painkiller.

Loved Doom3.

NarcissistZero
01-15-09, 08:40 PM
I like stories in games and I liked Doom 3... Doom had no story because a story was extremely hard to do in games at that time. As soon as Quake started coming out id hopped on the story train right quick. Doom 3's story is pretty thin and unobtrusive, but sets the stage for the game rather well. What's the problem?

I honestly don't understand the years later Doom 3 bashing phenomenon. That game was and is awesome.

$n][pErMan
01-15-09, 08:51 PM
I agree.... I enjoyed Doom 3 so much :)

Starscream
01-15-09, 08:52 PM
I like stories in games and I liked Doom 3... Doom had no story because a story was extremely hard to do in games at that time. As soon as Quake started coming out id hopped on the story train right quick. Doom 3's story is pretty thin and unobtrusive, but sets the stage for the game rather well. What's the problem?

I honestly don't understand the years later Doom 3 bashing phenomenon. That game was and is awesome.

Yeah Quake 1 has a phenomenal story. :rolleyes:

Shamrock
01-15-09, 09:17 PM
He has a monuMENTAL task before him.

ynnek
01-15-09, 09:56 PM
Man, I could think of plenty stories.. My favorite idea is a Quake Doom Hybrid.

You start off as a succubus in hell, working in the hell's torture experiments. The fight against the humans is going badly, so you are tasked to tortue humans to get in their minds and find t heir weakness's.. A marine team breaks into your torture arena and a heavy fighty ensues. Forces of hell barely wins, but they also manage to capture 5 marines.

Using your tortue techniques, you learn of their persona's, past, etc. Another marine attack hits your arena and just before they reach their fallen comrads, you decide to possess one of them, lets say, a female.

Cue in cut scene of being rescued and brought back to earth. Nobody remembers anything really. You then take part of different missions through hell with the surviving team, and build relationships/spy with people around you. Depending on your actions and choices, alters thee story lines a bit. Even though your team does some really good work against the demons and hell, Hell starts to win the war overall thanks to the info that you bring back.

Now here's the twister, thanks to your teams uncanny/lucky ability to stay alive in totally messed up situations (partly due to the fact that the odds are stacked in your favor since Hell doesn't want to kill its spy) your team is sent off to a top secret mission. You get sent off into lab, where they brief you on your new mission. A prototype transporter that seems to lead to this odd place that seems to have advanced intelligent life, exact type and form unknown since all the unmanned probes sent in get lost before they send back any substatial data. Since humanity is on its last leg against the war on Hell, its your job to go there, and see if you can find anything or anyone to help you.

So your team teleports in, but gets seperated out. You lose your human form, and show up on the other side as a succubus again. Enter Quake world, before they Strogg met humans. No real choice, you explore the area, and take notes and observations about stuff while your blasting things away.. Depending on your previous actions, depends on the reactions of your teammates when they find you. You find 3 of them, and one guy is missing. Eventually you find out that he's be integrated with the Strogg and is now planning on leading the attack force back to Earth. Depending on your character relationships, and your previous actions if you empathized with humans, you either:

A)
*Fight him right there and then
*Go back to Earth and and have to fight the last of Earth's military (cause they don't accept you for what you are no matter what, you've influnced your teamates howerver to follow you still)
*Finally go back to hell and fight the Hell Lord

B)
* Join up with him and fight your teammates
* Go back to Earth to fight the last of Earth's military with him
* Then go back to hell alone and fight the Hell Lord

In the end, you always fight the Hell Lord, and end up taking over Hell.

Then the next sequel will be Hell monsters vs Strogg on the wastelands of Earth. You control hell, while that Stroggified Marine now controls a earth Strogg front.

NarcissistZero
01-15-09, 10:57 PM
Yeah Quake 1 has a phenomenal story. :rolleyes:

It has one at least, and Quake 2 was REALLY story based compared to Doom...

crainger
01-15-09, 11:04 PM

Not really. What about all the Lucas Arts and Sierra adventure games? Ultima Underworld? System Shock?

This is good though. I liked Doom3 and with a deep and dark story with plenty of horror. It should be quite the game. id do put a lot of polish into their games, that's for sure.

Destroy
01-15-09, 11:14 PM
All I know is it better have tons of baddies, be Satanic, have large green corrosive chem pools, BFG, not look like GoW and contain Pinkies.

http://www.freewebs.com/cyberg/shotgun.jpg

NarcissistZero
01-15-09, 11:33 PM
Not really. What about all the Lucas Arts and Sierra adventure games? Ultima Underworld? System Shock?

Cinematic stories in an FPS... I guess System Shock is almost as old, but still... It might be more about how id wanted to tell a story.

Starscream
01-15-09, 11:43 PM
It has one at least, and Quake 2 was REALLY story based compared to Doom...

I can't find my Quake 1 manual so this quote from an ancient Blues News article (http://www.bluesnews.com/guide/quake.htm) will have to do:

"Background: You get the phone call at 4 a.m. By 5:30 you're in the secret installation. The commander explains tersely, "It's about the Slipgate devise. Once we perfect these, we'll be able to use them to transport people and cargo from one place to another instantly.

"An enemy, codenamed Quake, is using his own slipgates to insert death squads inside our bases to kill, steal, and kidnap...

"The hell of it is we have no idea there he's from. Our top scientists think Quake's not from Earth, but another dimension. They say Quake's preparing to unleash his real army, whatever that is.

"You're our best man. This is Operation Counterstrike and you're in charge. Find Quake, and stop him... or it... You have full authority to requisition anything you need. If the eggheads are right, all our lives are expendable..."

Prelude to Destruction: While scouting the neighborhood, you hear shots back at the base. Damn that Quake bastard works fast! He heard about Operation Counterstrike, and hit first. Racing back, you see the place is overrun. You are almost certainly the only survivor. Operation Counterstrike is over. Except for you.

You know that the heart of the installation holds a slipgate. Since Quake's killers came through, it is still set to his dimension. You can use it to get loose in his hometown. Maybe you can get to the ******* personally. You pump a round into your shotgun, and get moving."

(nana2)

nutcrackr
01-16-09, 12:56 AM
Doom 4 would not survive anything but a lambasting if they tried to emulate the originals and simply had wave of monsters and keys etc.

Doom 3 was the right step to get it to work. It did have quite a nice little backstory of experiments and situational reports if you bothered to read them (I did) I liked that they considered them aliens with high heat tolerance.

I'm not expecting a epic forrest gump story, but doom 4 needs a story just like any game today. Painkiller is an example of a superb doom like remake in recent times. But it will never ever achieve the heights of doom 3 or Half-Life 2 as a single player experience. Just like how Serious Sam 2 was received.

glObalist
01-16-09, 01:41 AM
Well, it's not like it's the first time they're hiring someone to write them a story:

(wikipedia)
"Doom 3 is set in the year 2145. Much of the game's story and dialogue was created by professional author Matthew J. Costello."

Hope this isn't another FAIL, what with all the D3 story drudgery. "Chapter 5: from Delta Lab Section 1 to Gamma Lab Part 4", how exciting and original. :p

stereod
01-16-09, 02:31 AM
I really enjoyed Doom 3, it's story served it's purpose and I have no complains about it, reading PDA's was entertaining, to me at lest, because it helped to see how things unfolded before all hell broke lose.
At the time Doom 3 had jaw-dropping graphics, I still remember how blown away I was by the little spider-bot and it's shadow in the beginning of the game. :drooling:
It was quite scary too, one of the scariest games i played, though the scare factor wore of after prolonged sessions of play or if you had the chainsaw in your hands... :D
With all that combined it was a blast to play, I really don't understand all the hate it received.

With that being said, I'm looking forward to Doom 4, but I'm not quite as exited about it as I am about Rage!
Bring on the Rage, id!

Wolfhound
01-16-09, 02:55 AM
I liked Doom 3 so if it is good and have good graphics I will like Doom 4

Section-9
01-16-09, 04:59 AM
I am playing Doom 3 again right now :) bring on Doom 4 and Rage!!! (nana2)

Shamrock
01-16-09, 10:26 PM
I didn't like ANY of the Dooms or Quakes, but ironically, I loved Hexen.

NarcissistZero
01-16-09, 11:18 PM
I've never even played Hexen, except for maybe a demo back in the day... I own the games now, thanks to Steam. I'll load them up eventually.

bob saget
01-17-09, 01:55 AM
i loved the various cut-scenes (with the monsters) in quake 4 and doom 3. Also some limited vehicle controls were also cool.

Tr1cK
01-17-09, 09:35 AM
I dug the Doom movie much more than I dug Doom 3.

walterman
01-17-09, 11:16 AM
I used to play DooM I & II when i was a teenager. I loved DooM III, and i still play it. ID games do not need a complicated story. If fact, if i remember, i think that ID wrote the Quake I story, once the game was finished. :)

FastRedPonyCar
01-17-09, 10:52 PM
I think I'm the only gamer alive that never played the original doom (still to this day never played it) so playing Doom III was really fun as I had no original one to compare it to and complain about.

CaptNKILL
01-17-09, 11:17 PM
I think I'm the only gamer alive that never played the original doom (still to this day never played it) so playing Doom III was really fun as I had no original one to compare it to and complain about.

:eek:

Toss3
01-18-09, 01:04 AM
Hated doom3 - story was boring and it wasn't scary and I just found me not caring at all for the game(Bioshock was much better). The graphics were really good though! :)

Quake 4 was imho better than doom3.. :o