PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Games Explorer = Stale

Buio
01-16-09, 03:46 AM
Basically nothing was changed from Vista. Sure there are some minor tweaks but one of those changes now makes it impossible to edit the shortcut.

Therefore, when a game like WoW get added to Games Explorer, it points at the game executable instead of the launcher (which handles news and updates) and should be the correct one. And it is impossible to change it. I can add the launcher manually, but the icon is not updated with game art and you have 2 copies of the game inside the game explorer.

Also, there are no good new ideas, like f.e. being able to have Games Explorer on the Taskbar making it easy to start games (can't add it to taskbar because it's an explorer window afaik).

So it's same as in Vista but dumbed down.

Ps. Should add that I like Windows 7 a lot, except from Games Explorer.

CaptNKILL
01-16-09, 04:01 AM
You can't edit the shortcuts in the game explorer in Windows 7? :headexplode:

Buio
01-16-09, 04:30 AM
No, but it might be a bug, as it seems stupid. Or maybe even hidden, with some option to open it up.

The main new feature is that games also search for updates via Games Explorer.

There are still no options to manually add box art for prettier large icons on games (that aren't automatically supported).

GlowStick
01-18-09, 09:29 PM
Hm, the check for updates did not work for Cod5 waw.

Buio
01-19-09, 06:43 AM
They should at least add the feature to spice up (those that not support it) and edit games. Currently Windows 7 games explorer is worse than Vista's and Vista's isn't good. :P

The idea is good, to have a place where all your games are accessed and you can get info/updates on them. But the execution needs work.

nekrosoft13
01-19-09, 07:58 AM
remember this is beta 1, games explorer is probably not on top of their to do list.

Bearclaw
01-19-09, 12:01 PM
They should at least add the feature to spice up (those that not support it) and edit games. Currently Windows 7 games explorer is worse than Vista's and Vista's isn't good. :P

The idea is good, to have a place where all your games are accessed and you can get info/updates on them. But the execution needs work.

QFT. You would have thought they would have changed it, even remotely. Oh well. Like Nekro said, being a Beta, we can wait for it... hopefully they change it.

Buio
01-19-09, 03:30 PM
remember this is beta 1, games explorer is probably not on top of their to do list.

Yeah of course. But many users play games, and it would fit Microsofts updated Games for Windows and Live support by working more on the Games UI in Windows. Especially now when more games are popping up with Live (like GTAIV, upcoming DoWII and so on), and the marketplace.

I've been sending them feedback, hope someone reads it.

jcrox
01-19-09, 04:48 PM
Yeah of course. But many users play games, and it would fit Microsofts updated Games for Windows and Live support by working more on the Games UI in Windows. Especially now when more games are popping up with Live (like GTAIV, upcoming DoWII and so on), and the marketplace.

I've been sending them feedback, hope someone reads it.

Windows 7 isn't coming out so quickly after Vista because of a lack of adoption from the gamers, it's corporate America they're targeting... you know, the people that DIDN'T buy Vista.

Bearclaw
01-19-09, 04:50 PM
Windows 7 isn't coming out so quickly after Vista because of a lack of adoption from the gamers, it's corporate America they're targeting... you know, the people that DIDN'T buy Vista.

Valid point. Hopefully they address it anyway. If not, I can see it coming in a update or SP.

Sgt_Pitt
01-19-09, 06:31 PM
Real gamers use desktop :P

Bearclaw
01-19-09, 06:40 PM
Real gamers use desktop :P

No. FAIL.

Buio
01-20-09, 06:41 AM

And they upgrade only when their special applications run well on the new system, and Windows 7 doesn't run those better than Vista. In fact as there are new changes in the OS there might be more problems. Application compatibility is the most important thing, after that it is performance on current hardware and ease of adoption for the users.

Windows 7 has a new taskbar and changes in the UI which means re-learning the users how it works, which costs time and money. Even if it is better than Vista, it doesn't mean anything for users that isn't snapping up new things as fast as us and is set on how XP is working.

One thing that is an advantage for Windows 7 is the press it's getting. Vista generally got a lot of bad press, and it does affect adoption.

Also, you are forgetting Microsofts recent push for Games for Windows Live, which would suit well with better games support in Windows 7. And the new pc games marketplace etc. There was even a Microsoft employee posting on the games forum here, but I couldn't find the thread.

Buio
02-07-09, 06:41 PM
It is possible to edit the shortcuts and even add extra ones yourself.

The shortcuts for all users game explorer is in
\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer

The shortcuts for currect user are in (which is where shortcuts you manually dragged to the Game Explorer will be)
Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer

In both cases they are in folders with a {GUID} key, but if you open those and then \PlayTasks\0\ there will be a shortcut to the game which is editable.

At least I managed to fix 2 games by editing this way (both where auto added but had problems). It is also possible to add extra right-click menu commands by adding numerical folders like f.e. \PlayTasks\1\ and add another shortcut there.

Starscream
02-07-09, 08:26 PM

I thought that was the start menu.

ChAsM
02-07-09, 10:13 PM
I think I need to recant former statements I've made praising Win7. I'm starting to despise the bugginess; especially with IE8. But there's other pieces of it, too.

I know, I know...it's a beta. But they "BETA" get their asses in gear and fix this POS.

my .02

Buio
02-07-09, 11:39 PM
I thought that was the start menu.

It should be obvious what I meant, but I'll try to explain so it's easy to understand;

It's an attempt to make it better standardized and more organized, with all game options in one place/icon (right click it to get alternative start options, updates, readmes and whatever). If you have installed many games (and other apps) on Windows XP you would know that the start menu gets cluttered with many sub-folders and icons named whatever the parent or developer company thought was best. And games might have 5-6 icons for uninstall/readme/webpage/game etc.

By the way, with Windows 7 games that are installed in the games explorer automatically get a icon in Start Menu\Games. So people can start them from there too.

XxDeadlyxX
02-07-09, 11:52 PM
I think I need to recant former statements I've made praising Win7. I'm starting to despise the bugginess; especially with IE8. But there's other pieces of it, too.

I know, I know...it's a beta. But they "BETA" get their asses in gear and fix this POS.

my .02

IE8 is no angel under Vista either, Beta 2 crashed on me probably 50 times.

Lfctony
02-08-09, 01:11 AM
Also, there are no good new ideas, like f.e. being able to have Games Explorer on the Taskbar making it easy to start games (can't add it to taskbar because it's an explorer window afaik).

What? It's quite possible to do that already in Vista unless you mean its impossible for W7 only...

Starscream
02-08-09, 02:55 AM
It should be obvious what I meant, but I'll try to explain so it's easy to understand;

It's an attempt to make it better standardized and more organized, with all game options in one place/icon (right click it to get alternative start options, updates, readmes and whatever). If you have installed many games (and other apps) on Windows XP you would know that the start menu gets cluttered with many sub-folders and icons named whatever the parent or developer company thought was best. And games might have 5-6 icons for uninstall/readme/webpage/game etc.

By the way, with Windows 7 games that are installed in the games explorer automatically get a icon in Start Menu\Games. So people can start them from there too.

You mean there's a right click? I had no idea.

Sgt_Pitt
02-08-09, 06:18 AM
No. FAIL.

Only retards would add extra clicks to get thier games running.

Buio
02-08-09, 09:07 AM
What? It's quite possible to do that already in Vista unless you mean its impossible for W7 only...

No, you can't pin different parts of explorer except Control Panel afaik.

Only retards would add extra clicks to get thier games running.

Games on the desktop can be hidden by active Windows you have open, which leads to extra clicks/hotkeys to hide Windows. In the end it's just up to personal preference, not being a retard or not.

Lfctony
02-08-09, 09:22 AM
No, you can't pin different parts of explorer except Control Panel afaik.

I still don't understand what you mean. You originally said "cant put Games Explorer on task bar"... I have a shortcut to games explorer on my taskbar this very moment. Unless you were talking about something else...

Also, there are no good new ideas, like f.e. being able to have Games Explorer on the Taskbar making it easy to start games (can't add it to taskbar because it's an explorer window afaik)

Buio
02-08-09, 09:42 AM
Yeah, but shortcut and pin isn't the same in Windows 7. Pin works like the "pin to start menu". Per default there is no shortcuts in the Win 7 taskbar.