PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Game/App Compatibility Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Tr1cK
01-17-09, 10:29 AM
Post in here with what's working or not working for you.
I have found very little that hasn't been compatible.
Only post things verified by yourself, not hearsay.

This is with Win7 64bit.

Working Games:
Bioshock (Steam)
Flatout: Ultimate Carnage (Steam)
TF2 (Steam)
World of Warcraft: WOTLK

Working Apps:
uTorrent
7zip
ATI Tray Tools
AVG Free
Display Fusion
Dynamic DNS Updater (dyndns.com)
VLC Media Player
Firefox
Fraps
Free Download Manager
Nero
Open Office 3
Pidgin Portable
Speedfan
Tag & Rename
Thunderbird
UltraVNC
Winamp 5
WinContig
Vista's Sidebar

Has Issues/Not Fully Tested:
Daemon Tools - There are alternatives out there, need to check them out.

B0ne
01-17-09, 11:16 AM
Win 7 64 bit

Games that work:
Crysis
UT3
Steam - All Source games
Far Cry
Halo

Apps that work:
Rivatuner
nHancer
CCleaner
CPUZ

So far nothing that hasn't worked.

mailman2
01-17-09, 11:34 AM
Gears of War
Mirror's Edge
Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 <--- this one crashes in co-op story for me, a buddy cannot even get it to start.
Pure
COD4 MW
COD5 WAW
Stranglehold
007 Quantum of Solace
Fallout 3
GTA IV
Saints Row 2
Left 4 Dead
GTA Vice City
Assassin's Creed

Dreamingawake
01-17-09, 12:27 PM
is there a driver that is for Windows 7, especially for Mirrors Edge ? i can only find the vista and xp ones..

Bearclaw
01-17-09, 12:41 PM
Hmm, Interesting. I can't seem to get AVG Free to work. I keep getting an error in the Action Center.

bacon12
01-17-09, 01:50 PM
I have a punkbuster issue with cod4. Unsupported/unknown windows API. Sound max current sound driver works but asks for permission to load at start up.

mailman2
01-17-09, 03:36 PM
is there a driver that is for Windows 7, especially for Mirrors Edge ? i can only find the vista and xp ones..

Vista drivers work in Windows 7. A few sound card drivers might require compatibility mode for Windows Vista but drivers that work in Vista will work in 7.

mailman2
01-17-09, 03:36 PM
I have a punkbuster issue with cod4. Unsupported/unknown windows API. Sound max current sound driver works but asks for permission to load at start up.

Try disabling UAC.

Dreamingawake
01-17-09, 03:48 PM
Vista drivers work in Windows 7. A few sound card drivers might require compatibility mode for Windows Vista but drivers that work in Vista will work in 7.

Ahh, cheers, thanks for this.

Viventis
01-18-09, 07:38 AM

Same Punkbuster kick in Battlefield 2142. Someone posted in the EA Forum that Even Balance does not intend to make Punkbuster compatible with Win 7 until the final release. Bummer.

AngelGraves13
01-18-09, 04:24 PM
My STEAM BioShock will not work.

It shows the splash screen and then simply goes to a black screen.

UPDATE: Installing DirectX Redist fixed it.

zoomy942
01-18-09, 06:21 PM
windwos 7 64bit

guild wars works

Bearclaw
01-18-09, 06:25 PM
windwos 7 64bit

guild wars works

Nice! :thumbsup:

zoomy942
01-18-09, 06:26 PM
Nice! :thumbsup:

its the only game i need:)

j0j081
01-18-09, 07:00 PM
so speaking of games how does the performance in these compare with Vista?

pRATTICUS
01-20-09, 09:52 AM
I just installed W7 in a quad boot with Vista 32, 64 and XP 32. Downloading, burning, installing updating and getting into WoW took me a total of 2.5 hours.

So, everything is working great, with one minor exception: when in WoW (WotLK), the mouse pointer does not move, but the OS knows where the mouse is because it will highlight the buttons as I hover over them, so in essence it's like an invisible mouse.

Any thoughts on this?

Tr1cK
01-20-09, 11:44 AM
I just installed W7 in a quad boot with Vista 32, 64 and XP 32. Downloading, burning, installing updating and getting into WoW took me a total of 2.5 hours.

So, everything is working great, with one minor exception: when in WoW (WotLK), the mouse pointer does not move, but the OS knows where the mouse is because it will highlight the buttons as I hover over them, so in essence it's like an invisible mouse.

Any thoughts on this?

WoW works better than ever for me. I left it installed on my E: drive and just ran the launcher to play it once Win 7 was installed.

pRATTICUS
01-20-09, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I did the same thing - just executed from the installation directory without re-installing the game and normally that works fine.

I wonder if increasing the size of the pointer caused a glitch.

911medic
01-21-09, 12:17 AM
I got AVG Free working as well. The only thing that hasn't worked for me is my Alps touchpad drivers on my laptop. They installed fine, and had all the appropriate options available, but on reboot UAC kept popping up asking if I wanted to allow the drivers to run (hidfind.exe, and one or two others that it loads). I selected to allow, but the systray icon and control panel options are gone. Tried reinstalling, no luck.
Other working apps:
Firefox
I9KFanGUI

thunderhippo
01-26-09, 02:38 PM
Working Games:
Wotlk
Lord of the Rings Online
Knights Bounty
Unreal Tournament 3
TeamFortress2
Steam
Vent

Working Apps
AVG Free
Winzip
Winrar
PowerISO
K-Lite Codec Pack
Firefox
Maya 2009 Unlimited x64
Photoshop 64bit/Illustrator/After Effects CS4
Office 2007 Outlook
Google Sketchup

thunderhippo
01-26-09, 02:42 PM
Double post sry.

mailman2
01-26-09, 03:24 PM

Any thoughts on this?

same thing happens with RS Vegas 2 on the autoplay menu.

Bearclaw
01-28-09, 07:06 PM
Anyone having any issues with GTA4? I can't get it too run and I keep getting the 'Failure to launch' pop up.

I don't think it is a result of Win7 but I thought I would ask anyway.

ViN86
02-03-09, 09:09 AM
Razer drivers dont work in x64.

Bearclaw
02-03-09, 09:14 AM
FSX seems to be having some issues with randomly shutting down. At first I thought it was overheating of various PC components, but upon further investigation, it isn't.

It seems to have issues with ILS approaches. Once you intercept the localizer, it shuts down all of a sudden. I have tried multiple times at multiple airports. I suppose it could be a corrupt install of the game, not sure.