PDA

View Full Version : PC to PS3 files transfert speed 100mb vs 1gb ??

Pages : [1] 2

tijean
01-17-09, 07:23 PM
Will it make a difference ? The PS3 has an onboard 1gb ethernet connection but my router lan port is only 100mb.. So transferring large movie file of 4 or 8gb is a bit slow...Will a router with 1gb lan port would be a lot faster ?? Don't want to buy a new router and find out there is no difference in speed.

thanks

|MaguS|
01-17-09, 07:32 PM
Eh, wont make too much of a difference due to those numbers being mainly potential performance, rather then consistent performance.

crainger
01-17-09, 07:32 PM
I didn't know PS3 had 1GBit. Anyway yes it would make a huge difference if you PC AND router was 1Gbit. Especially for big files. I noticed this for my HTPC anyway.

Starscream
01-17-09, 08:28 PM
Eh, wont make too much of a difference due to those numbers being mainly potential performance, rather then consistent performance.

Ok ignore the junk post from that guy.

Gigabit IS significantly faster than 100mb, it's not hard to understand. 100mb X 10 = 1000mb aka gigabit. Now I have no idea how fast the hard drives are in the PS3, but that will now be the slow part in transferring files to it.

EDIT - Also before Lagus comes back to whine about not getting 1000 megga jiggas a second, you won't, but you sure as hell will get more than the <10 MEGABYTES per second or so you were getting with the 100mb connection.

tijean
01-17-09, 08:38 PM
Hmm well guys maybe Magus was right afteral.... I plug the PS3 directly to my PC on my second ethernet 1gb connection (crossovercable) and it show the connection as 1gbps but during files transfer task manager show a network utilization of 8%.. so 80mbps with my 100mbps it was 80% utilization so 80mbs....

Well it seem there is bottleneck.. Vista ? PS3 HD chip controller ? :(

|MaguS|
01-17-09, 08:57 PM
Hmm well guys maybe Magus was right afteral.... I plug the PS3 directly to my PC on my second Ethernet 1gb connection (crossovercable) and it show the connection as 1gbps but during files transfer task manager show a network utilization of 8%.. so 80mbps with my 100mbps it was 80% utilization so 80mbs....

It's the read and write speed of the PC HD and the PS3 HD. You cannot transfer files faster then the PC and PS3 can process the information. All those advertised speeds in HD's, Networks, and CDROM's are theoretical max speeds, in reality most hardware never hits those speeds at a consistent rate. They might peek but that only usually lasts acouple of seconds. It's allot like your Internet connection, you can have a 10Mb/s connection but you rarely ever hit that on a consistent rate.

Starscream, Who the **** are you to talk...

tijean
01-18-09, 09:52 AM
yeah but it should be faster in theory...I think Vista network is very slow... My internet connection is 10megabits/s or 1.2 megabytes/s

So files transfer @ 80megabits is really just 8megabytes/s... and the HD on my PC has an average read of 106MB/s and the PS3 I guess can do at least 60-70megabytes for writing

So I was hoping for more....

|MaguS|
01-18-09, 09:57 AM
Yes but the network doesn't transfer at that constant rate.

Albo
01-18-09, 03:31 PM

:lol:

nekrosoft13
01-18-09, 03:37 PM
Will it make a difference ? The PS3 has an onboard 1gb ethernet connection but my router lan port is only 100mb.. So transferring large movie file of 4 or 8gb is a bit slow...Will a router with 1gb lan port would be a lot faster ?? Don't want to buy a new router and find out there is no difference in speed.

thanks

if PS3 really has gigabit LAN port, performance difference will be huge, 100Mbit/s woud result in about 9-12mb/s transfer speed.

with gigabit it pretty much will be limited by harddrive speed (50-80mb/s)

nekrosoft13
01-18-09, 03:42 PM
Hmm well guys maybe Magus was right afteral.... I plug the PS3 directly to my PC on my second ethernet 1gb connection (crossovercable) and it show the connection as 1gbps but during files transfer task manager show a network utilization of 8%.. so 80mbps with my 100mbps it was 80% utilization so 80mbs....

VISTA will slow it down due to network throtle

open regedit

go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile]

find "NetworkThrottlingIndex"

set it to about 80 (decimal) value and reboot. don't set it to 100. even set it to 90, but not 100.

Bman212121
01-18-09, 05:23 PM
It all depends upon how the PS3 handles file transfers more than anything. I can tell you from personal experience that even if you have a ton of hardware the software can't always take advantage of it. It wouldn't surprise me the that PS3 isn't optimized at all to use a network connection. 80% of a 100mbit connection isn't even close to what a laptop hard drive can perform at. 80mbits = 10MBPS btw, 8 bits in 1 byte.

Just make sure you have SP1 on your Vista pc and you don't have to worry about messing with any settings. It is very possible to max out a gigabit connection using vista and whatever it defaults with.

BTW I can confirm it's a gig port in the PS3.

This is a test I did comparing Vista's network performance to XP using SMB shares.

http://i25.tinypic.com/21cci8n.jpg

Out of curiosity do you have a usb HDD? I'm just curious if you can get the full 30MBps on that. It would be a good way to prove if it's a PS3 HDD limitation or just a networking issue on the PS3.

nekrosoft13
01-18-09, 05:48 PM
Just make sure you have SP1 on your Vista pc and you don't have to worry about messing with any settings. It is very possible to max out a gigabit connection using vista and whatever it defaults with.

that is not always the cause, that network setting(in registry) was introduced in SP1 to fix network issues, without that network fix it doesn't always perform as it should.

Bman212121
01-18-09, 06:09 PM
that is not always the cause, that network setting(in registry) was introduced in SP1 to fix network issues, without that network fix it doesn't always perform as it should.

I'm not really seeing how that setting has anything to do with file transfers though...

From MSDN it sounds like it's made to limit performance to leave room for audio applications. So increasing that value only cuts into your network bandwidth, to make sure audio applications can move data. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms684247(VS.85).aspx

If you have media player open on your box it could easily affect the transfer. http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2007/08/27/1833290.aspx

According to the KB for this issue if anything you'd want to turn it off, not increase the value. Valid values are only from 1 to 70 anyway, so you're probably just turning it off by setting it to 90.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948066

nekrosoft13
01-18-09, 07:21 PM
that settings is difference from Multimedia Class Scheduler Service.

that settings in registry "NetworkThrottlingIndex" tells the Multimedia Class Scheduler Service to how much to limit network transfer speed.

there are a lot of things that tick off MCSS, with default setting of 10 (decimal) means that when MCSS service decides (mostly when audio is playing) it will cut down network speed to about 10%, if you set it to higher,network speed will also get cut down but by smaller ammount

so setting of 80 (decimal) will get you 80% of network speed when MCSS service sets off the trigger.

you could disable MCSS but then you will get audio distortions.

Bman212121
01-18-09, 08:07 PM
that settings is difference from Multimedia Class Scheduler Service.

that settings in registry "NetworkThrottlingIndex" tells the Multimedia Class Scheduler Service to how much to limit network transfer speed.

there are a lot of things that tick off MCSS, with default setting of 10 (decimal) means that when MCSS service decides (mostly when audio is playing) it will cut down network speed to about 10%, if you set it to higher,network speed will also get cut down but by smaller ammount

so setting of 80 (decimal) will get you 80% of network speed when MCSS service sets off the trigger.

you could disable MCSS but then you will get audio distortions.

Sorry I doubted you man. :o I just tested this and can back up exactly what you're saying. If I have an xfer going it might be cruising along at 50%. I open up WMP and instantly drops to 10% and stays there. Close WMP and it goes back up. Set it to 80 (which is funny cause in the KB they only acknowledge it goes to 70) and it does indeed take that setting. I'm not seeing any throttling and I was pulling about 60% of the connection at times.

I could see this as being a potential issue then if you had some type of audio stream running. When I did my testing I only had open explorer. That being said what the hell were they thinking when they set that option up? :lol:

tijean
01-18-09, 08:40 PM
Well I tried your setting NetworkThrottlingIndex @ 80 and it didn't work :-(

Still using only 8% .....

I have no USB HD to test...

I also connect the PS3 alone on my PC and network still using only 8%..

I tried PS3 medias server and Windows media player 11 to transfer files and both gave the same result.

So it's taking 10 minutes to transfer one 4gb file .....

Lyme
01-18-09, 09:22 PM
It seems to me, that your pc network card only does 100mb/s.

Otherwise, given two or more pc's with a homogeneous network, you can expect a peak throughput of around 90-95% of the total. This is due to signaling, signal degradation, how fast things can be read off your hard drive, etc.

note: the SATA interface can stream more than a 1gig/s

Bman212121
01-18-09, 10:12 PM
Well I tried your setting NetworkThrottlingIndex @ 80 and it didn't work :-(

Still using only 8% .....

I have no USB HD to test...

I also connect the PS3 alone on my PC abd still using only 8%..

I tried PS3 medias server and Windows media player 11 to tranfer files ad both gave the same result.

So it's taking 10 minutes to transfer one 4gb file .....

What model do you have and how full is the HDD? I just got done doing some testing with my 60GB PS3. It has about 20GB free on it.

Here is my unscientific testing with my watch. When copying the target file of 2684MB from my server, across the network and onto a 120GB usb drive formatted as fat32 I was showing right around 18% network utilization on a gig connection. This translates into about 22MBps. I only say this as to note that there shouldn't be a bottleneck on my usb drive as writes are slower than reads.

Plugging that drive usb into my PS3, it took about 166 seconds to copy that file from the usb drive to the PS3. That equals about 16MBps. Running the same test with my server hosting the file using Red Kawa my PS3 downloaded it through the web browser in about 168 seconds. On the server I was showing a flatline graph at about 14%. Obviously this was almost identical to the USB graph, leading me to believe it's either a drive limitation or a software limitation on the PS3. 16MBps really isn't much, so I'm going to guess that the drive inside of the PS3 probably isn't being maxed out. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if I took it out of the PS3, threw it into a pc at was writing the file at double those speeds. (Too bad you can't do that because of the file system; at least not to my knowledge.)

Given my numbers you might be able to find a little more performance but it's not exactly a show stopper. It's quite possible that I might see lower performance if I tried moving other files.

Starscream
01-18-09, 11:26 PM

Oh such language.

I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

tijean
01-18-09, 11:47 PM
To Lyme... don't know if you look @ my setup but a 300$ MB for a Core I7 include dual LAN GB controllers :) In fact I'm pretty sure that all quality MB now have dual LAN GB controllers....

My PS3 HD is a seagate Momentus 5400rpm 160gb with 100gb free.....

Well thanks for the reply... I think we must conclude the Ps3 is slow !

|MaguS|
01-18-09, 11:50 PM
Wait... you have a CI7 setup and are using a 5400rpm drive? WTF?! My laptop has a faster drive... hell my PS3 does aswell...

ViN86
01-19-09, 12:07 AM
To Lyme... don't know if you look @ my setup but a 300$ MB for a Core I7 include dual LAN GB controllers :) In fact I'm pretty sure that all quality MB now have dual LAN GB controllers....

My HD is a seagate Momentus 5400rpm 160gb with 100gb free.....

whoa, really?

that's like using an eye dropper to put gasoline in a Ferrari.

you need to upgrade that drive lol.

Lyme
01-19-09, 02:03 AM

My HD is a seagate Momentus 5400rpm 160gb with 100gb free.....

Sorry, I didn't look at your sig. You may also want to check that when you connected the ps3 to the pc that the link speed was automatically negotiated at 1gb. Even with the PS3 being slow 8% is only 80mb/s, I would expect that you would at least get over 100mb/s on a gb connection.

tijean
01-19-09, 08:25 PM
hehehe this is my PS3 HD.... Seagate Momentus 160gb kinda small now....

I have a 300gb Velociraptor + 1 Tb WD for my PC...

Awaiting price drop and bigger capacity for SSD !!