PDA

View Full Version : Some devs just get it.... talking about Valve

rudedog
01-17-09, 09:36 PM
Speaking at the Games Business Law summit at SMU's law school in Dallas TX. Valve's Jason Holtman talks about Valves buisness and some other interesting things.

If you're into PC gaming this is a must read article. Click here (http://feeds.gamedaily.com/rss/top-25-games-updates.rss?1232248806)

Some of the out takes that are very interesting
Running through the numbers behind console sales, Holtman points out that there are more PCs in the market than all the consoles combined. In fact, in 2007 alone, over 255 million new PCs were purchased. "That's a huge install base."

One weekend, Valve, offered Day of Defeat for free trial. At the end of that weekend, a good offer was made to customers. As expected, this increased digital downloads of the game. But surprisingly, Holtman reveals, there were "28% more units bought at retail than sold through Steam."

And my favorite

"We take all of our games day-and-date to Russia," Holtman says of Valve. "The reason people pirated things in Russia," he explains, "is because Russians are reading magazines and watching television -- they say 'Man, I want to play that game so bad,' but the publishers respond 'you can play that game in six months...maybe.' "

"We found that our piracy rates dropped off significantly," Holtman says, explaining that Valve makes sure their games are on the shelves in Moscow and St. Petersberg, in Russian, when they release it to North America and Western Europe.

Sazar
01-17-09, 09:39 PM
Interesting read :)

Fwiw... I LOVE Steam. Most innovative bit of software for gamers in my opinion. Sort of like iTunes for the gaming industry.

mullet
01-17-09, 09:58 PM
I will say this, I have the utmost respect for Valve and all of the hours of joy they have instilled into my life. I agree I think Valve really understands what the public truly wants. I hate SP they bore the living tears out of me except 1 HL2. There was so many games I was dying to get my hands on till a little game came around called Team Fortress 2, which is the best MP game I have ever played.

\soapbox.

Dreamingawake
01-17-09, 10:04 PM
Yeah Valve RULES ! They are probably the BEST developer in my opinion.

jcrox
01-17-09, 10:13 PM
Yeah Valve RULES ! They are probably the BEST developer in my opinion.

I don't think I would call them the "Best Developers" but they do have a great business model and a great delivery method.

sl0ppy_sec0nds
01-17-09, 10:24 PM
Valve+Steam= Solution to the piracy problem.

Toss3
01-18-09, 12:58 AM

Not if they're going to keep pricing the games too high in poorer countries.

MaxFX
01-18-09, 05:52 AM
Well yeah Valve themself has given the Pc gaming comunity the injection it needs. they pretty much alone started the digital boom so the future is there thanks to them.

Without them pc gaming was should I say very crappy as we all know. all love to them they Rock and have saved the Pc as a gaming plattform IMO :D

evox
01-18-09, 06:03 AM
No, not really. Piracy can't be resolved, only circumvented. With Steam, Valve is doing just that.

NarcissistZero
01-18-09, 10:00 AM
Everyone knows I love Steam... I have faith Steam will continue to be a success and huge boon for the PC gaming industry.

pkirby11
01-18-09, 11:16 AM
Speaking at the Games Business Law summit at SMU's law school in Dallas TX. Valve's Jason Holtman talks about Valves buisness and some other interesting things.

If you're into PC gaming this is a must read article. Click here (http://feeds.gamedaily.com/rss/top-25-games-updates.rss?1232248806)

Some of the out takes that are very interesting
Running through the numbers behind console sales, Holtman points out that there are more PCs in the market than all the consoles combined. In fact, in 2007 alone, over 255 million new PCs were purchased. "That's a huge install base."

One weekend, Valve, offered Day of Defeat for free trial. At the end of that weekend, a good offer was made to customers. As expected, this increased digital downloads of the game. But surprisingly, Holtman reveals, there were "28% more units bought at retail than sold through Steam."

And my favorite

"We take all of our games day-and-date to Russia," Holtman says of Valve. "The reason people pirated things in Russia," he explains, "is because Russians are reading magazines and watching television -- they say 'Man, I want to play that game so bad,' but the publishers respond 'you can play that game in six months...maybe.' "

"We found that our piracy rates dropped off significantly," Holtman says, explaining that Valve makes sure their games are on the shelves in Moscow and St. Petersberg, in Russian, when they release it to North America and Western Europe.

The text in bold is all fine and dandy and it makes sense but until developers find a way to make fun entertaining games that look about console grade and play on those 225 million systems or hardware companies make lower end systems capable of playing today's games decently that base doesn't matter. How many of those systems do you think could play L4D as good as the 360 at a decent frame rate? Probably not many, I'm just saying because I get tired of that logic. Yes it's true but it's not relevant.

sl0ppy_sec0nds
01-18-09, 12:25 PM
No, not really. Piracy can't be resolved, only circumvented. With Steam, Valve is doing just that.

It surely isn't a complete solution to the extent that it will eliminate piracy. It's more like a huge step on the right track of reducing it.

Greg
01-18-09, 05:28 PM
The text in bold is all fine and dandy and it makes sense but until developers find a way to make fun entertaining games that look about console grade and play on those 225 million systems or hardware companies make lower end systems capable of playing today's games decently that base doesn't matter. How many of those systems do you think could play L4D as good as the 360 at a decent frame rate? Probably not many, I'm just saying because I get tired of that logic. Yes it's true but it's not relevant.
Agreed, as long as there is a 100x performance different between the embedded GPU on a budget or business system and a gaming grade PC, is is very expensive to develop a game that can be enjoyed by all and maintain quality.

evox
01-18-09, 07:51 PM
It surely isn't a complete solution to the extent that it will eliminate piracy. It's more like a huge step on the right track of reducing it.
Werd. :)

NarcissistZero
01-18-09, 08:48 PM
Yeah.

I don't know why more publishers don't use the "retail disc and key unlock Steam game" thing, like Valve games, Saint's Row 2, Dark Messiah and others. People who want a box and disc get one, people who want a download copy get one, and it is one of the better DRM systems around, both for the consumer and the publisher, and eliminates resale.

It's a super no-lose situation, in my opinion. It should be the standard by now.