PDA

View Full Version : Laptop help

ChiBChombo
01-18-09, 01:20 PM
Alright so my friend is thinking of buying a laptop for her and her sister, but she only has 1,000$, she was thinking of an Imac, but I don't really know how good they are...

Mostly going to be used for college stuff, design, and things like that, no games...

Anyone that can tell me what brand would be recommended/good for something like that that is not above 1000$?

Thank you

a12ctic
01-18-09, 01:26 PM
When does she need it by? AMD's neo platform should be released sometime in this half of the year and it'd probably leave her with the best form factor for the price.

ChiBChombo
01-18-09, 01:35 PM
Well she was thinking of buying one by next week

Tuork
01-18-09, 01:47 PM
Check out outlet.dell.com.

Preconfigured refurbished systems at great prices.
I've bought 2 laptops from there, and friends have bought at least another 3 and they have all been rock solid. Same warranty as brand new systems.

I'd recommend something like an XPS M1330 or M1530. The M1530 can be configured with a 8600mGT, which is pretty good for almost anything. Screen size should also be good if she's going to be doing plenty of design stuff.

bob saget
01-18-09, 06:01 PM
for 1000 and under, i think pretty much all the brands are fine. HP and Toshiba have been rock solid for me in that price range. Sony tend to be overpriced.

Bearclaw
01-18-09, 07:04 PM
Whatever you do, don't get an Acer. There support is ****.

zoomy942
01-18-09, 07:12 PM
look - here is the honest truth from me to you

GET A TABLET PC. GET A TABLET PC. GET A TABLET PC.

having a tablet is far and away the best thing you can do. it offers you everything a laptop does but also allows you so much more funcitionality.

check out the cdw outlet for some. i have gotten several for my company at crackhead prices.

GET A TABLET

EDIT: Also, if you have $1000 and spend it all on a laptop for just generic stuff, you are over spending. you can get a regular function laptop for easily $500.

Bearclaw
01-18-09, 07:14 PM

having a tablet is far and away the best thing you can do. it offers you everything a laptop does but also allows you so much more funcitionality.

check out the cdw outlet for some. i have gotten several for my company at crackhead prices.

GET A TABLET

EDIT: Also, if you have $1000 and spend it all on a laptop for just generic stuff, you are over spending. you can get a regular function laptop for easily $500.
QFT.

bob saget
01-18-09, 07:30 PM

GET A TABLET

good point zoomer.

and i was just going to say one of my friends had an acer,lower end one, and it worked fine. BUt we are talkin about 500-1000 dollar laptops, so not much can go wrong with that price range imo. Maybe dead pixel? Dunno, really havnt encountered much problems.....

zoomy942
01-18-09, 07:35 PM
Thanks guys.

Another point to mention.... I manage 50 PC's at work and several laptops. We are a 100% HP company and since we switched over - we have had ZERO failures. not a single problem with them. my tablet is a 2710p and i beat her up like you wouldnt believe. its powered on like 16 hours a day for about a year now and has been perfect.

everyone has a brand preference and I'm not saying "HP ftw!" i am merely offering my anecdotal information for you.

Monnie Rock
01-18-09, 08:37 PM
Look into the Clevo Designs:

Prostar
Sager

Which are sold at many retailers online.

My last 3 notebooks have been Clevo designs and I can not be happier. A good place to start reading about Clevos/Sager is Here (http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1017)