PDA

View Full Version : Learn from my mistakes...

jnd3
05-30-03, 01:17 PM
So I just picked up one of those spankin' new WD 80 GB special edition drives (7200 RPM, ATA100, 8 MB cache) for $50 after discount and rebates. A good deal, I think, especially to replace the old ATA66 Maxtor that was the main drive.

Some things to learn from my experience:
- Don't plug in the floppy power cable upside down. Makes floppy go boom. (That's what I get for doing it late at night.)
- Don't pre-partition and format your new drive in Windows before running Western Digital's software. It doesn't like it.
- And don't even think about trying to clone from a FAT32 partition to a NTFS partition.

Maybe it's just WDs software that is overly touchy, but I wasted way too much time on it (especially with the new GoGamer shipment of Enter The Matrix and Raven Shield mocking me from the desk). It's up and running now, so I'm back in business. And man, that sucker is fast (not SATA, but faster than what I've been using).

Cheers,
JND

Can'tGETright
05-30-03, 03:20 PM
thats not to smart

PsychoSy
05-30-03, 04:06 PM
Oh, I know your pain! It took me many hours of tinkering with the WD software, Norton Ghost, and WindowsXP's Disk Management that I nearly just gave up and went the "ol reliable" way using an old DOS Floppy. In the end, I lucked out with one option in Norton Ghost but my primary drive letter was X instead of C:\. Windows wouldn't let me change the drive letter either and some applications were failing (because I smoked the old drive - the original C:\drive).

Ended up formating clean and reinstalling XP fresh...

Just to solve the annoying drive letter problem...

jAkUp
05-30-03, 04:40 PM
i accidently put a floppy plug upside down... my whole system wouldnt start for like a minute... i dunno why, it scared me i thought i may have fried my psu... but low and behold... it started to work... go figure:rolleyes:

AlexKN1
05-31-03, 08:12 AM
even if u break a floppy drive..they cost like 5$ now...

Nephilim
05-31-03, 04:22 PM
You actually use the software that comes with the HDD?

Crazy! ;)

jnd3
05-31-03, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Nephilim
You actually use the software that comes with the HDD?

Crazy! ;)
Heh. Yup. MOST of the time, it actually works (I had success with Maxtor's program, and with an old version of WD's software). It worked fine once I figured out it wouldn't play well with Windows partitions. Besides, it would have cost me more $$$ to pick up a copy of Norton Ghost or the like than it did for the drive itself. :p ;)

And a friend o' mine had several spare floppies, so I just cheesed one off him. No harm done to the power supply.

And so, on with the games. I've got the love-hate going on with Enter the Matrix at the moment, but that's for the Games forum....

Cheers,
JND

nVidi0t
05-31-03, 06:02 PM
I have the 80gig SE drive, great so far.

And when I plugged the floppy cable upside down the floppy just didn't work.. on turning the cable around it worked fine..

your floppy drive actually fried?

netviper13
05-31-03, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by nVidi0t
And when I plugged the floppy cable upside down the floppy just didn't work.. on turning the cable around it worked fine..

your floppy drive actually fried?

Are you talking the IDE-type connector, or the power connector? I've plugged the Floppy connector (IDE-type) in backwards tons of times, all that happens is the drive won't work and the drive light stays on all the time.

When you plug the power connector in upside down, however, it usually fries the drive.

jAkUp
05-31-03, 09:05 PM
hmmm... when i connected my floppy power cable upside down, i did it when the system was on...lol bad idea.... the whole system shut off immediately, my floppy was drive was now dead, and my system wouldnt start... thank god it started working:D

Nephilim
05-31-03, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by jnd3
Heh. Yup. MOST of the time, it actually works (I had success with Maxtor's program, and with an old version of WD's software). It worked fine once I figured out it wouldn't play well with Windows partitions. Besides, it would have cost me more $$$ to pick up a copy of Norton Ghost or the like than it did for the drive itself. :p ;)

And a friend o' mine had several spare floppies, so I just cheesed one off him. No harm done to the power supply.

And so, on with the games. I've got the love-hate going on with Enter the Matrix at the moment, but that's for the Games forum....

Cheers,
JND

Heh, I ususally just plug the new HDD along with my old one and let Disk Manager (control panel/administrative tools/disk management) handle the partitioning and formatting. Takes all of about 5 minutes.

Ah well, live and learn :)

Rampant CL
06-01-03, 07:13 AM
I use system commander. Basically i run 3 OS's all bootable from syscommander from a tiny 30mb dos partition. I've found it to be the easiest when disk swapping / formatting / os upgrading.

And it has cool sound effects - ask nVidiot :D

nVidi0t
06-01-03, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Rampant CL
I use system commander. Basically i run 3 OS's all bootable from syscommander from a tiny 30mb dos partition. I've found it to be the easiest when disk swapping / formatting / os upgrading.

And it has cool sound effects - ask nVidiot :D

LOL, yeah, it turns your mobo speaker into a beat box. :D

Sys commander is the best multi OS booting utility I have seen though. The GUI rules.