PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Keyboard Help

|MaguS|
01-22-09, 04:41 PM
I need help finding a wireless keyboard for my HTPC. Problem I am coming across is that most just don't have the range on them. I have tried acouple Microsoft ones and also acouple Logitech ones and none of them would work good enough at 10'+. They either lost connection or had input lag.

Im looking for one that is not too big since I will need itt o fit on a Lapdesk and have good enough input to be used for gaming at atleast 10'. Im trying to spend less then $100 for a good one...

Any recommendations?

walterman
01-22-09, 04:53 PM
I got the "Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 3000 Laser" for my HTPC, a couple of years ago.

The quality of the mouse & keyboard is very good, but, it works by RF, and sometimes, the signal fails, when i move the receiver to a new position.

So, i think that you will need something with bluetooth. Because, in theory, it should have a better range than the RF models.

Also, a standard wireless keyb/mouse might be too big for a living room, so, i was considering to buy something smaller like the "Logitech diNovo Mini", but, somebody told me that it has problems with the signal too.

Hope this helps :)

|MaguS|
01-22-09, 05:12 PM
Yeah I saw the Logitech diNovo Edge Series and it looks to be a nice keyboard but dam the price is nuts on it. I also don't know how it will fit with the lapdesk...

Bman212121
01-22-09, 06:13 PM
I need help finding a wireless keyboard for my HTPC. Problem I am coming across is that most just don't have the range on them. I have tried acouple Microsoft ones and also acouple Logitech ones and none of them would work good enough at 10'+. They either lost connection or had input lag.

Im looking for one that is not too big since I will need itt o fit on a Lapdesk and have good enough input to be used for gaming at atleast 10'. Im trying to spend less then $100 for a good one...

Any recommendations?

Buy a usb extension cable to move the transmitter into a better location and possibly closer to where you sit. If the receiver part is behind the pc it doesn't work as well as it does being a foot away from the tower. You probably have an extension cable already lying around from a usb drive.

Not sure what logitech setup you were using though as my MX1000 can go into another room and still work fine.

Whatever you do don't get a Bluetooth mouse. I've tried that before with the MX5000 and it's just awful. BT works fine on the keyboard but it just seems too slow and unresponsive for a mouse.

|MaguS|
01-23-09, 10:35 AM
Buy a usb extension cable to move the transmitter into a better location and possibly closer to where you sit. If the receiver part is behind the pc it doesn't work as well as it does being a foot away from the tower. You probably have an extension cable already lying around from a usb drive.

Not sure what logitech setup you were using though as my MX1000 can go into another room and still work fine.

Whatever you do don't get a Bluetooth mouse. I've tried that before with the MX5000 and it's just awful. BT works fine on the keyboard but it just seems too slow and unresponsive for a mouse.

The reciver was right next to my TV ontop of my dresser, so nothing was blocking it. I was about 9' away and it responded like ****. I had to jam on the a button to get any movement and sometimes it would register log presses without me even pushing anything (ran out ahead of everyone in L4D).

How big is the MX1000? Smaller then 18"? Is it only a mouse? No keyboard? My mouse has no issue with the distance... its the keyboards that does.

Bman212121
02-04-09, 09:47 PM
Heh, sorry I didn't see the reply in this thread. Yea, the MX1000 is a mouse only. They had a combo that was a MX3200 or something like that which was both that mouse and an RF keyboard.