PDA

View Full Version : Digital Combat Simulator: Black Shark

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Amuro
01-25-09, 08:36 AM
For the combat flight simmers out there, DSC: Black Shark English version is finally available for purchase at www.digitalcombatsimulator.com. Boxed version will be available some time this quarter.

Reviews:
IGN AU review (http://pc.ign.com/articles/945/945520p1.html)
In depth review of Black Shark at SimHQ: Part 1 (http://www.simhq.com/_air12/air_390a.html), Part 2 (http://www.simhq.com/_air12/air_391a.html), Part 3 (http://www.simhq.com/_air12/air_392a.html)

http://www.simhq.com/_air12/images/air_390a_002.jpg

http://www.simhq.com/_air12/images/air_390a_024.jpg

http://www.simhq.com/_air12/images/air_390a_025.jpg

omzig
01-25-09, 08:41 AM
Now then, our English version of DCS: Black Shark arrived with StarForce FrontLine ProActive (more commonly known as "version 6").

Sorry they just lost my bussiness noway will that Startforce virus/malware come anywhere near my system....

Blade
01-25-09, 08:42 AM
Awsome sim, been playin for last week after downloading, great options, you can have it as arcade or realistic as you want, it's da shiz wit Track IR.

Amuro
01-25-09, 09:01 AM
Sorry they just lost my bussiness noway will that Startforce virus/malware come anywhere near my system....
The devs have already made it clear that no device drivers are installed with the English download version of Black Shark, so I wouldn't worry. They are also thinking about a Steam release in additional to the boxed and donwload version. But it's not clear if that can be done.

omzig
01-25-09, 09:07 AM
The devs have already made it clear that no device drivers are installed with the English download version of Black Shark, so I wouldn't worry. They are also thinking about a Steam release in additional to the boxed and donwload version. But it's not clear if that can be done.

Well thats good news i'll wait for the dust to settle for a few weeks to see what the real story is thx for the heads up though :)

Cheers
Gizmo

LurkerLito
01-25-09, 09:33 AM
The game looks interesting. I haven't played a helicopter game in years but I would love to get a modern one.

I hope they put it out on steam with only steam's protection with no activation BS otherwise I'll just skip it. I am still wary of anything starforce related or even suggested.

Dreamweavernoob
01-26-09, 04:18 AM
im interested, but the graphics are really ****e, not to mention it runs like crap (no proper multicore support)

Revs
01-26-09, 04:29 AM
Looks really good, I'll give it a go. Cheers ;)

Koko56
01-26-09, 05:14 AM
im interested, but the graphics are really ****e, not to mention it runs like crap (no proper multicore support)

Are you making assumptions or have you actually played the game?

Also, do those graphics not have enough brown for you or something? :headexplode:

Amuro
01-26-09, 07:57 AM
Indeed, the videos from SimHQ were impressive. Very hardcore :)

But some voice overs were in Russian. Is that still the case with the downloadable English version?
I haven't played much yet, but so far everything's in English.

Blade
01-26-09, 08:28 AM

Graphics look great on my rig @ 1920x1200, also you can get it to use 2 cores by alt tabbing & setting core affinity thru task manager, new patch coming will addresss this issue.

Average 40-50fps although subject to dips into 20's when flying low over high density buildings etc.

I suggest you aint played it have u? If not stfu ;)

omzig
01-26-09, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the shots slaWter she looks Very nice,i'll make sure to pick this up next time im in town...the modder in me wonders if i can hack in some SHD FEX clouds into it do you know if the dir's open or are they all packaged into compressed files?

Cheers
Steve

Koko56
01-26-09, 03:57 PM
Ooooooooooooooooo

The models look very good.

Scendore
01-26-09, 07:04 PM
I believe there are mods for it already. Since it's based upon an updated LOMAC engine it shouldnt be long before we see tweaks. I also understand that ED from DCS is going to try and make it easier for folks to do things for the sim.

So far the Sim is pretty rock solid and they are going to add quite a bit to it over time including a completely new Graphics Engine. This go around was to get everything in place for a ground pounding game.

Destroy
01-26-09, 07:19 PM
Good lord, just watched the startup procedure on Youtube. That is totally insane hardcore! Hell, it would take me 4 hours just to figure out how to get it off the ground with out blowing it up.

Amuro
01-26-09, 10:02 PM
ED will be releasing more aircraft modules in the future. Next one I believe will the AH64 Apache. Black Shark vs Apache in head-to-head multiplayer should be very fun. I also heard that the A-10A and F-16C are also being developed.

BTW, I use a script downloaded from the official forums to set affinity for all 8 threads. Works pretty good for now. I just wish the game engine would take advantage of multi-GPU setup. Right now I have to set SLI mode to Single.

Blade
01-27-09, 05:24 AM
It works but it's a ***** to configure, DCS forums have info but i cant be arsed to faff about with it, hopefully patches will make it easier.

Bearclaw
01-27-09, 07:21 AM
Wow, haven't even heard of this until now. This looks like a cool flight sim. I am not that big into heli's but I might give it a go.

I'd be interested what my new quad system would get with it.

Amuro
01-27-09, 07:32 AM
I worked with those guides but still no luck. I guess my main problem is that my secondary display has the higher resolution...
Same thing here. It doesn't seem to work.

Blade
01-27-09, 09:32 AM
Sticky? seeing as this is generating lots of interest?

Bearclaw
01-27-09, 09:35 AM
Sticky? seeing as this is generating lots of interest?

Eh, I would wait a while. Maybe once the FS thead is done being active due to the series being cancelled...

Scendore
01-27-09, 01:10 PM
ED will be releasing more aircraft modules in the future. Next one I believe will the AH64 Apache. Black Shark vs Apache in head-to-head multiplayer should be very fun. I also heard that the A-10A and F-16C are also being developed.

BTW, I use a script downloaded from the official forums to set affinity for all 8 threads. Works pretty good for now. I just wish the game engine would take advantage of multi-GPU setup. Right now I have to set SLI mode to Single.

I have it running with SLI and it works fine... It doesn't really use multiple cores all that well in XP. The testing and reports I've seen is guys who set the process affinity in Vista actually get it to run as fast as guys using it in XP. I think the game likes XP a little better given the age of the engine. Give it some time they will fix it and of course multi core is the way to go.

Also the A-10 I think is slated to be first in line for release. We will see.

I just like the fact folks are interested.

omzig
01-27-09, 03:40 PM
Eh, I would wait a while. Maybe once the FS thead is done being active due to the series being cancelled...

I think FSX has at least another 3 years in it to be honest,After Sp2 (and all its bugs)got pushed out Aces pretty much abanndoned FSX support wise so it not like any 3rd party dev's are gonna miss out on support they never provided,i just hope that the source somehow makes it out so the community can expand the core engine and get some more functions onto the GPU (id love to see autogen move to the GPU 1000 of trees & buildings rendered without the massive hit its take atm being on the CPU)

Cant seem to find BlackShark anywhere here in the UK atm......Oh well maybe they'll be a patch or 2 out by the time i can pick it up locally

Scendore
01-27-09, 05:41 PM
There is an English download that's been out since November.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

sillyeagle
01-27-09, 11:05 PM
Does this have a free flight mode at all? I'm not too interested in campaigns but I would enjoy playing with the flight/physics modeling and killing dummy targets. I always loved the flight and afterburner modeling in LOMAC, so I might get this being that there will be other aircraft add-ons. Plus I've never flown choppers outside of FSX, and I've always wanted to try something with some real fidelity.