PDA

View Full Version : Live GTFO?

Noriega
01-26-09, 02:37 PM
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/44213/Games-For-Windows-Boss-Gets-The-Boot

Are the days of Windows Live numered?

NaitoSan
01-26-09, 02:58 PM
You wish. They only boot Chris Early, the General Manager of GFWL and other a few. GFWL is going to stay. Chris Early probably did poor job managing GFWL so with new updated GFWL was kind of late (where it should have happened long time ago).

Hopefully new guy will get all acts together to bring GFWL as what it should have been.

NarcissistZero
01-26-09, 03:16 PM
Hopefully it dies.

evox
01-27-09, 12:50 AM
Just because they fired an exec doesn't mean they're axing the service. How could you possibly land a presumptuous conclusion like that. But anyway, I don't want LIVE to die, competition is always good. If LIVE is more successful, Valve will add more features to Steam and I'm always pro that idea. :p

NarcissistZero
01-27-09, 01:49 AM
Just because they fired an exec doesn't mean they're axing the service. How could you possibly land a presumptuous conclusion like that. But anyway, I don't want LIVE to die, competition is always good. If LIVE is more successful, Valve will add more features to Steam and I'm always pro that idea. :p

Live is especially icky though... Steam has competition already, better competition, from services like Gamersgate, Direct2Drive, Impulse, Xfire, Gametap, etc. etc..

evox
01-27-09, 06:04 AM
Live is especially icky though... Steam has competition already, better competition, from services like Gamersgate, Direct2Drive, Impulse, Xfire, Gametap, etc. etc..
Give it time. As far as true competitors are concerned, Steam doesn't really have any except Impulse. I mean, Direct2Drive/GamersGate are websites. Xfire is just a feature rich client and GameTap is too casual to appeal to most Steam users (although their catalog is impressive) The thing that pisses me off is that Microsoft has resources and money to whip the holy hell out of Steam, but they decided against it, instead giving us that abortion of Xbox. I grabbed the GFW LIVE client as soon as it came out and I honestly laughed because the whole damn "client" was a glossy javascript window.

Maybe this guy was the reason GFW LIVE was in the crapper. Maybe the new management will make it less horrible and more appealing. Maybe I do like cheese... :afro2:

NaitoSan
01-28-09, 02:31 AM
January 27, 2009

Microsoft Pledges Games For Windows Focus With New Boss

Microsoft says general manager Ron Pessner is stepping in from the Entertainment and Devices Division to head up its Games For Windows initiatives.

Pessner's new role is announced just following the departure of former GFW boss Chris Early, laid off from the company as part of its recent round of planned cutbacks. Microsoft plans to eliminate 5,000 jobs at the company, and began with 1,400 layoffs yesterday.

Pessner is joined by Microsoft Games Studios' Dave Luehmann, who will now oversee internal development and publishing for Windows-based games.

The company also voiced its commitment to Windows as a gaming platform both on and offline. "Moving ahead, Microsoft will continue to invest in Windows as a first–class gaming platform through great Windows out of box experiences, our online gaming services including Games for Windows – LIVE, MSN Games, and Messenger games, and through new games for Windows developed by Microsoft Games Studios," the company said in a statement.

As the PC equivalent of Xbox Live, Games for Windows Live has had a mixed response from its inception, even as the company dropped subscription fees for multiplayer play in mid-2008.

Though it now requires no fee, PC gamers have still been slow to embrace the closed-system service, preferring the more open-ended online interfaces traditional in PC games. Titles such as Shadowrun, which allow Xbox 360 and PC gamers to compete together in the same game, have also struggled to catch on.

Along with Early's departure, Microsoft cut Flight Simulator developer Aces Studios, but the company stressed today that aside from the appointment of Pessner and Luehmann, "we are not commenting on specific personnel issues at this time."

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=22043

evox
01-28-09, 07:11 AM
Bleh, actions speak louder than words...