PDA

View Full Version : My last upgrade untill 2005....please help.(RAM/PSU?)

LiquidX
05-31-03, 03:47 PM
Hey all, I have two systems and this is the last to be upgraded. Both have RDRAM so I don't have experience with DDR.

This system is Dell Demension 8200. I want to upgrade the card to a FX5900 but in order to do that I was told I would need a new PSU and the Dell 250 wont do so I am just gonna buy a new case and mobo and use the existing parts.

The RDRAM in it is PC800 16 bit non-ecc 512mb. And I was thinking of going the DDR route because in the long run it would be cheaper to upgrade but I have some questions before I get rid of those RDRAM sticks.

This question negates question 1 and 2 if answer is no.
*****The Dell PSU is rated at 250 it has only one cdr-drive,1hd, and 3 occupied pci slots a modem,ethernet and Audigy2. Anyone think the 5900 would be make it unstable?

1.Is There a noticeable difference with DDR 400 or better for me to go this route and forsake two good sticks of ram?

2.The only reason I would forsake the RDRAM and go the DDR way is to to save money in case I might need a extra 512mb to run games like Doom3 or Half life 2 smoother than a my baby's bottom. The system is a p4 2.53, 533fsb, will I even need more than the 512 rdram I already have with a soon to be purchased FX5900 (128) to run these games ultra smooth at 1280X???? resolutions?

------------------------------------------------------------
BTW this will be my last upgrade untill longhorn and a new line of chips from Intel roll out so I want to make the best choice to hold me untill or if that time comes(2005).

jAkUp
05-31-03, 05:42 PM
well... with a 250w psu you *may* be able to squeak by... since you only have 1 hd and 1 cd drive. but i dont know if you want to risk it... the 5900 isnt as power hungry as a 5800... but they still recommend a 350w... i would recommend a 400.

rdram compared to ddr ram is really no noticable difference, and it especially does not justify the extra cost of going with rdram. and as far as more than 512mb... not really. you will notice nearly no difference in those games... or any games. i heard the difference from going from 512->1 gig ddr 400 ram in doom 3 was only 2 or 3 fps difference.

LiquidX
06-01-03, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the advise jakUp.....you guys give some great advise, first with setting up two drives now this. Thanks again and anyone else with advise please post.:)

Rampant CL
06-01-03, 08:02 AM
I think you should scrape by with a 250. I think it because i had the below setup running on a 300W fine, but after i tried a 400w which blew up and then one which was fine i took the 300W into the physics lab at school and connected it up to a joulemeter, and it turned out it was only 270W.

You should be alright.

And there's no need for so much ram, 512 should be fine. When i tested doom with 512/1025 and 1024/1536 there was a 2-4 frame difference and no difference respectively.

The Analog Kid
06-01-03, 03:40 PM
I don't think he could stay 250w ps. He also has to power the fans inside the case. It would be best to upgrade the ps, so you don't damage your hardware.

Rampant CL
06-02-03, 02:59 AM
Like i said dude, i was running all the stuff in my sig on an equivalent of 270W.

nVidi0t
06-02-03, 05:33 AM
All the stuff in my Case is running on a 300W PSU which is probably also only 270-280.

Along with 5 Sunon fans and a cold cathode.

jAkUp
06-02-03, 12:14 PM
he probably could... but these new video cards are power hungry bastards... i wouldnt wanna risk damaging anything... some cheaper psu's dont have the auto overload... and if the juice is too much.. it can actually catch on fire! but this hardly ever happens... most of the time if it overloads... it just makes a load popping noise

especially since it is a dell psu... its not really designed for the power user in mind... if it was an enermax or antec... i would probably say its ok.

LiquidX
06-02-03, 12:29 PM
You say that jakUp but the 8200 which I have, is considerd a top of the line power system and Dell does offer it with 9700's and more loaded than I have it on the same PSU.

But these new cards do have me wondering But some of you do have a system more loaded than mine with about the same PSU, so guess I will just wait and see and keep a fire thingy near by just in case my system doesnt get engulfed in flames.:) :(

jAkUp
06-02-03, 12:44 PM
oh... i didnt know that they shipped it with raddy 9700... i guess it should be ok then. well keep in mind that the nv35 uses and extra molex connector... make sure you have a spare.