PDA

View Full Version : SLI & ETQW @2560x1600

LBJM
01-27-09, 04:54 PM
does anyone play ETQW with SLI at 2560x1600?

I seem to have scaling issues with my 285s. when I enable SLI and just try to run the game without AA and run one of my custom time demos it does not score any higher than a single gpu. the drivers I've tried are 180.20 and 180.22s both whql.

Quick420
01-28-09, 11:34 AM
does anyone play ETQW with SLI at 2560x1600?

I seem to have scaling issues with my 285s. when I enable SLI and just try to run the game without AA and run one of my custom time demos it does not score any higher than a single gpu. the drivers I've tried are 180.20 and 180.22s both whql.

I still play(Quick420)but with 2x8800gt's @ 1600x1200 (4xaa-16af)I have to force afr2 to seem even a glimmer of performance increase.With the cards you have,1 is sufficient to max it out,and notice no improvement with sli enabled.This game is severely cpu-limited,you can easily cap it at 250fps I'm sure:P

LBJM
01-28-09, 02:52 PM
the game is not cpu limited at 2560x1600...

Quick420
01-28-09, 02:57 PM
the game is not cpu limited at 2560x1600...

I stand corrected,those are some low scores though,dont ya think? They are high resolution,higher than i use but still why so low I wonder?

LBJM
01-28-09, 03:18 PM
that's because your res is small compared to 2560x1600. here's some images if you view their true full size you'll see how big the res is
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x24/safan80/ETQWmessedATi812s/

that's not my benchmark... it's the hexus one I believe.. and they only tested one 285... that's why I brought 2 so they would be faster than my single 4870x2.... I think it's an X58 problem though cause people over at guru3d are reporting x58 sli issues.

HYBRID
01-29-09, 07:39 AM
I run Quake wars everyday. I can tell you that its locked at 30 fps by default.

If you use the below tweaks you can get maxs performance, with my personel GTX295 I can run the game 1920x1200 4x super sample 16AF with all in game settings max these include shader etc. and vsync on at 60fps all day long. Try these Tweaks.

com_unlockFPS [0,1] - When this is set to 0, the ET:QW engine is effectively locked to a 30FPS maximum to help maintain smoothness. However if you want your framerate to exceed this limit, you must first make sure this variable is set to 1, which it should be by default. However by itself that won't necessarily do anything - you should also check and adjust the com_unlock_timingMethod and com_unlock_maxFPS variables below as well.

com_unlock_timingMethod [0,1,2] - ET:QW tries to smooth out your framerate using a timing method which is specified here. By default the timing method is 2, which is the most conservative approach and effectively the smoothest, but provides the lowest framerates, typically leaving most people at 30FPS. Setting this variable to 1 sacrifices some smoothness in return for higher FPS. Using both 1 or 2 still limits your framerates to multiples of 30, but setting it to 0 completely frees up system to provide the highest possible FPS, but in return you may experience FPS spikes and jerky gameplay.

com_unlock_maxFPS [FPS rate] - If you've unlocked your framerate using com_unlockFPS 1 and you're using a com_unlock_timingMethod of 1 or 2, then you will still be bound to a maximum framerate specified using this setting, the default being 60FPS. If the game can't reach the new framerate cap, it will round down in multiples of 30, so if you notice your FPS is still sitting around 30 after unlocking your framerate, either lower this framerate cap, lower your settings to improve your average FPS, or switch to using the 0 timing method which effectively ignores this framerate cap.

[Dual/Multi-Core Tweaks]

r_useThreadedRenderer [0,1,2 ] - Added as of the 1.2 Patch, this option allows you to enable multithreading if you have a dual or multi-core CPU, and this can improve the performance of ET:QW. By default it's disabled (set to 0), but you can set it to either 1 or 2, with a value of 1 locking the renderer to your in-game frames, while 2 allows it to run unlocked. The developers recommend a value of 2 for this variable if you wish to enable it. Note that you must enable it either by inserting it in your autoexec.cfg file, or by entering it in the console prior to the start of a game; it can't be changed during a game.

The information above is found in the tweak guide at the following link.
http://www.tweakguides.com/ETQW_9.html

hope this helps.

LBJM
02-02-09, 11:40 AM
Oh dear... it has nothing to do with the Quake wars settings... I've played the game since it's release in October of 07.. and I know all the tweaks. I can get SLI working in xp x64 and windows 7 x64 just not vista x64... I even did a clean install of vista x64 sp1 with just the chipset drivers and nvidia 181.22s and ETQW will not scale under vista x64.

HYBRID
02-02-09, 03:47 PM
Oh dear... it has nothing to do with the Quake wars settings... I've played the game since it's release in October of 07.. and I know all the tweaks. I can get SLI working in xp x64 and windows 7 x64 just not vista x64... I even did a clean install of vista x64 sp1 with just the chipset drivers and nvidia 181.22s and ETQW will not scale under vista x64.

Hmmm..... I am not sure then I find the game play great and I run the game on a Vista 64 sp1 platform. Would you like me to run any type of test to see if I find the same thigns you do?

LBJM
02-02-09, 05:32 PM
Hmmm..... I am not sure then I find the game play great and I run the game on a Vista 64 sp1 platform. Would you like me to run any type of test to see if I find the same thigns you do?

I think it has to do with the nvidia drivers and the X58 chipset and running SLI with 2 separate cards under vista.. it works under windows xp x64 and windows 7 x64 so I don't know what to make of it.

thanks though

LBJM
02-06-09, 07:35 PM
I fixed the problem lol....:headexplode:

I renamed the ETQW.exe to Quake4.exe under vista and the game runs great it has full scaling

(throwpc)

HYBRID
02-09-09, 07:50 AM
I fixed the problem lol....:headexplode:

I renamed the ETQW.exe to Quake4.exe under vista and the game runs great it has full scaling

(throwpc)
Good to hear.

LBJM
03-20-09, 08:34 PM
Good to hear.

it runs with the exe renamed but crashes during level loading... xp x64 does not have this problem the game runs fine. I'm going to quote myself from another thread.

These drivers just like the under vista x64 drivers in ETQW still crashes when switching maps or campaigns.... the funny thing is under xp x64 ETQW runs like a champ with the 182.05 WHQL

LBJM
04-03-09, 06:36 PM
the 185.65 drivers allow me to play this game under vista x64. However, there's still flashing between level loading and I still have to rename the etqw.exe as quake4.exe to get proper SLI scaling. also the vista x64 drivers are 30-40fps slower than the xp x64 drivers.