PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard or Graphics card failure?

werdnahman
01-28-09, 05:12 PM
I just put together a custom build and the comp isn't working at all.
I got a i7 920, Asus P6T Delux, and a Radeon 4850X2, Corsair 850W PSU, also am using OCZ DDR3 ram.
Starting the comp, all the fans and lights come on, I can feel the hard drives start spinning, and everything. However, I get 0 video output. The fans on the radeon never kick on (but the card does warm up...), and the only way I can turn the PC off is to kick the power at the PSU, holding the power button either on the case or on the mobo won't force it off. Also, I am getting no error beeps.

I think that either the motherboard is messed up or my video card is bad, but I am not sure which. What should I do?

CaptNKILL
01-28-09, 06:19 PM
Do you have any video cards available at all that you could stick in there to test it? PCI or PCI-E?

If not its going to be pretty hard to tell whats going on. It could be anything really. But here are some things you can try...

First, clear your CMOS (make sure the power cable is unplugged). Its possible that the factory settings were accidentally changed before the board was shipped out.

Try testing your memory sticks one at a time (remove all but one stick, try booting, then swap it and try again).

Disconnect everything from the system. All drives, all external devices, mice, keyboards, network cables, all cards (including the graphics card), and all extra USB\audio\firewire ports connected to the board. Basically, just have the mobo, CPU, ram, power button and power supply connected. If that at least gets you some beeps or something, put your graphics card back in.

If that doesn't work try taking the mobo and PSU out of the case and just running it on a table. This will eliminate any grounding problems caused by the case. If that doesn't work then you know that one of your components has a problem. Either the graphics card, the mobo, the CPU or your RAM. RAM isn't likely since you tried all the sticks individually and its unlikely that they'd all be bad. Its also extremely rare that your CPU will be bad so at this point its most likely your board, your video card or your PSU.

At this point you're going to need another computer or some spare parts to test things further.

werdnahman
01-28-09, 06:30 PM
I tried running the Ram sticks separately, and took out all the peripherals, and took out the card and couldn't get any error beeps. I haven't cleared the CMOS memory (easiest way to do that on a P6T to just take the battery out and let it sit for a while?)
I've also got a problem taking out the mother board where I am at, I sort of lack the necessary tools... (spacers are spinning with the screws... I CAN get it out but... eh...)
Also, I don't have any spare parts, this is my first desktop in a while. I guess if clearing CMOS doesn't work, I should take it to a repair shop and see if they can pinpoint the problem?

I've also tried hooking the gc up using several different cables off the PSU (it came with adapters for 4 pins, and the PSU has 4 6 pins all with the 2 pin adapters and an 8 pin, which for some reason won't fit in the gc 8 pin port) and no go. I guess I could go buy a cheap GC and switch it out?

werdnahman
01-28-09, 08:16 PM
I fixed this, there was a hidden power connector on the Mobo. Thanks for your help

Amuro
01-28-09, 08:21 PM
I tried running the Ram sticks separately, and took out all the peripherals, and took out the card and couldn't get any error beeps. I haven't cleared the CMOS memory (easiest way to do that on a P6T to just take the battery out and let it sit for a while?)
I've also got a problem taking out the mother board where I am at, I sort of lack the necessary tools... (spacers are spinning with the screws... I CAN get it out but... eh...)
Also, I don't have any spare parts, this is my first desktop in a while. I guess if clearing CMOS doesn't work, I should take it to a repair shop and see if they can pinpoint the problem?

I've also tried hooking the gc up using several different cables off the PSU (it came with adapters for 4 pins, and the PSU has 4 6 pins all with the 2 pin adapters and an 8 pin, which for some reason won't fit in the gc 8 pin port) and no go. I guess I could go buy a cheap GC and switch it out?

The 8-pin connector that won't fit the video card is the EATX12V for your CPU. Make sure you connect that to the board.

werdnahman
01-28-09, 08:32 PM
This is sort of resolved.. I missed a power socket on the mother board, sort of hidden... now I can't get vista to boot off the disk drive. Bios recognizes the drive, I set it to the top priority on boot menu and it always gives me a message "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Decive and pres a key"
What do I do about that...?

Amuro
01-28-09, 08:48 PM
You probably missed the message asking you to hit a key to boot from CD. Try again.

CaptNKILL
01-28-09, 11:07 PM
Glad you got the main issue resolved.

As for the booting from CD thing, keep messing with it. Its doubtful that your drive or your install disk are dead.

Bearclaw
01-28-09, 11:09 PM
I fixed this, there was a hidden power connector on the Mobo. Thanks for your help

The first time I built my own rig, I had the SAME problem. Everything was in fine, except for the 12v power plug. It took me a few days of swapping out parts and being really frustrated.

Glad you got it working. :)

bob saget
01-29-09, 01:27 AM
Glad you got it working.

werdnahman
01-29-09, 06:16 AM
Thx
Now if I can just get it to load the boot disk...