PDA

View Full Version : AMD TDP bull

nekrosoft13
01-29-09, 02:35 AM
When I bought my first Phenon motherboard I wasn't paying attention to this whole TDP bullcrap.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?detailid=873&CategoryID=1&DetailName=Specification&MenuID=123&LanID=0

Note: This board supports CPU up to 95W TDP only; you can refer to AMD website to check your CPU.

funny thing is that they released AM3 CPU support bios for the board, and yet all Phenon II are 125W TDP right now.

http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUResult.aspx

:thumbdwn:

second board I bought supports CPU up to 140W, really not happy with this whole TDP scenario.
have two phenons systems.

CaptNKILL
01-29-09, 04:23 AM
Yeah that whole thing is pretty screwy. I've noticed several boards say they have TDP limits.

Btw, its Phenom nekro. :bleh: :p

crainger
01-29-09, 04:44 AM
Leave him alone CaptN. He manages better than Hiscok.

nekrosoft13
01-29-09, 12:27 PM
what do i manage, crainger

Bearclaw
01-29-09, 12:46 PM
Crap... I get my new parts today. I hope I didn't screw this up. :headexplode:

Tr1cK
01-29-09, 01:05 PM

bearsigfail

Redeemed
01-29-09, 01:07 PM
Dude... not too sure what you're worried about. I'm pretty certain that if Nekro tried to run a 125w + Phenom in his mobo, it wouldn't work. They have the TDP ratings for a reason.

Anyhow, not too sure why you'd worry about this anyways. Are you planning to OC? If so, you have a beefy cooler right? Not too sure why something like this would be cause of concern for you... :wtf:

methimpikehoses
01-29-09, 02:05 PM
what do i manage, crainger

CaptNKILL
01-29-09, 02:18 PM
Dude... not too sure what you're worried about. I'm pretty certain that if Nekro tried to run a 125w + Phenom in his mobo, it wouldn't work. They have the TDP ratings for a reason.

Anyhow, not too sure why you'd worry about this anyways. Are you planning to OC? If so, you have a beefy cooler right? Not too sure why something like this would be cause of concern for you... :wtf:

Your post confuses me. :lol:

The bold part is why this is a problem. If you don't pay attention to TDP ratings of the board and CPU when you order your parts then you may end up with a board and CPU that can't be used together, despite having a compatible chipset, socket and even updated BIOS support.

That's bad. :lol:

nekrosoft13
01-29-09, 02:24 PM

The bold part is why this is a problem. If you don't pay attention to TDP ratings of the board and CPU when you order your parts then you may end up with a board and CPU that can't be used together, despite having a compatible chipset, socket and even updated BIOS support.

excactly, when buying the first board i didn't know that there is even such a posibility

Bearclaw
01-29-09, 02:43 PM

Exactly. That's why I was stating my possible dillema.

Redeemed
01-29-09, 02:51 PM
Everytime you look up the specs for a new AM2+ mobo, it lists the TDP that board supports. For example, my mobo can support procs with up to a 95 watt TDP. I haven't checked for newer BIOS but regardless, I cannot run a proc with a higher TDP than 95 watts. My 9600 is the limit for this board, I believe, untill TDP comes down some.

That said, go to newegg, check the specs for the board you ordered, you'll see what TDP it can support. Odds are, havign the 790 chipset, it'll support up to 140watt TDP, meaning that literally any and every Phenom will work in that board, as the new PhIIs are rated at 125watt TDP, so you're well within your bounds.

I can agree for somebody less tech savy this might be confusing, but if you know enough to assemble your own computer, mixing and matching the appropriate parts, then odds are you'll have a hard time over looking this.

Furthermore, with the motherboards maximal supported TDP being listed at wherever you are buying from, you'd really be the only one to blame for not doing sufficient research. Chalk it up as a learning experience, and replace the inadequate board with one more sufficient.

Again, if you just saw "Phenom" support, got uber excited, started hyper-ventilating, and purchased it with a new PhII... don't blame AMD or the board manufacturers.

Go to newegg, check out the page for the board you ordered. They have the TDP listed. The do for every AM2 and AM2+ board.

CaptNKILL
01-29-09, 06:25 PM
All I can think of is the bashing that everyone gave Intel for not having 100% compatibility with all 775 chipsets and CPUs. People praised AMD for keeping it simple, and as it turns out there is actually a physical power limitation on many boards, on top of being AM2 or AM2+ compatible.

I agree that everyone should do plenty of research before buying a CPU but its still rather irritating that there are still compatibility issues with platforms that have supposedly been future proofed more than once.

nekrosoft13
01-29-09, 09:14 PM
All I can think of is the bashing that everyone gave Intel for not having 100% compatibility with all 775 chipsets and CPUs. People praised AMD for keeping it simple, and as it turns out there is actually a physical power limitation on many boards, on top of being AM2 or AM2+ compatible.

I agree that everyone should do plenty of research before buying a CPU but its still rather irritating that there are still compatibility issues with platforms that have supposedly been future proofed more than once.

true, just wasn't aware of it when i bought the first board, wasn't thinking about it. something completly new to me.

CaptNKILL
01-29-09, 09:22 PM
true, just wasn't aware of it when i bought the first board, wasn't thinking about it. something completly new to me.

Yeah, I don't believe there are any TDP limitations on any recent Socket 775 boards. It is sort of an odd thing to have to consider when buying a new setup.

It seems like they would have either made the CPUs all conform to a standard from the beginning or just silently upgraded all of the boards with new revisions if a new higher TDP chip was released.

Redeemed
01-29-09, 09:46 PM
TBH, I think it is hairball as well. If my mobo supported a higher TDP, I'd have dropped a 9950 in quite some time ago, and sold this 9600 off to help cover the cost.

I'm sure they had their reasons, and they're probably valid ones to. What they are, though, I cannot fathom. :o

CaptNKILL
01-30-09, 12:29 AM
I saw a Phenom II cooled down to -240c first hand (was running at 6.3 ghz).

Yeah, I read about that here (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1917571&postcount=17).