PDA

View Full Version : nvidia driver flaws you would like fixed

3dfx fanboy
01-29-09, 10:23 AM
First, I'll start with OpenGL:

It's simply dysfunctional in vista 64 and windows 7 beta 64 (In beta W7 64 I also tried an ati gpu and it had the same exact issue.)

No transparency super sampling. With nhancer, you can use 16xS, and the performance hit doesn't matter but it doesn't AA alpha-tested textures nearly as well as 16xQ with Transparency SS. 16xS also doesn't AA edges quite as well as 8xQ or 16xQ.

HQ filtering doesn't work. enabling 16xS, doesn't quite get rid of the shimmering that HQ filtering eliminates.

General driver issues:

I tried a recent one and centering wouldn't work with many resolutions.

The PhysX driver won't do all the effects in some games that my Asus PCI-E x1 card does, and even worse, I can't use it with drivers that include a physx driver for the GPU. So that's all fairly recent drivers that don't allow the use of my PCI-E x1 card.

Files get stuck and hard to get rid of after a driver uninstall. Using driver sweeper is kind of a pain in the ass, to be blunt.

I think it would be nice if nvidia would fix these issues. The windows 7 beta issue may or may not be nvidia's fault since the ati card had the same exact problem, but it's still not good to mess up opengl support and then not worry about fixing it.

saturnotaku
01-29-09, 10:30 AM
The gimping of OpenGL is by design and a problem with Vista, not NVIDIA or ATI. Besides, no games of consequence that use OpenGL are coming out, and anything that currently uses it actually runs quite well on Vista.

3dfx fanboy
01-29-09, 10:42 AM
The gimping of OpenGL is by design and a problem with Vista, not NVIDIA or ATI. Besides, no games of consequence that use OpenGL are coming out, and anything that currently uses it actually runs quite well on Vista.
So you think that HQ filtering not working in OpenGL games means they work quite well?

duralisis
01-30-09, 05:44 PM
OpenGL, D3D9/10, doesn't matter, the API should be inconsequential to the driver. There's no reason high quality filtering cannnot be forced, as the driver already changes the API's filtering method to begin with as a result of the optimizations.

Here's my request:

* Restore 16-bit dithering and pre-DX8 support via a software emulation.

Today's cards render so incredibly fast that nobody playing any legacy game would notice a .002% decrease in rasterization due to a pixel shader emulation a previous fixed function (like dithering).

Basically anything not supported in hardware can be done through a software compatibility layer. This feature could be separate from the main driver and updated independently like Physx support is. Old cards that support these fixed function and hardware level features are no longer supported in the new drivers (i.e. GF2, 3, etc), so why not just do it in software?

lvov7342
02-02-09, 09:51 AM
How about fixing the damn DX error in Call of Duty WAW?!?!?!?

I have to go back FW178 to play that game.

Mike89
02-02-09, 11:53 PM
I cannot play Mass Effect at all with any driver after 177.41. It seems to me that Nvidia drivers have gone down hill for quite some time now. Nvidia seems to focus on new games at the expense of making new problems with older games. This going down hill began when Vista came out and the driver team had to then make drivers for two OS's. I think they got lost somewhere along the line and the focus got all messed up. Seems they think us stupid gamers play a game once or twice and then throw it away and forget about it. I used to think very highly of Nvidia drivers. I don't think that way anymore.

Ancient76
02-03-09, 06:12 AM
I don't have any problems with Mass Effect. Older games like Stalker SoC, Warcraft 3, Warhammer Dawn of War, Fear, UT 2004, Oblivion, and even Vampire - The Masquerade Bloodlines, work without problems on Vista 32.

AdamK47
02-03-09, 07:48 AM
I'd like them to do some house cleaning with their SLI profiles. Some are broken where you see screen artifacts and some are simply broken to the point where if you load the game the whole PC locks or reboots. Luckily I can change the SLI method, but I would like to see the default ones fixed.

walterman
02-03-09, 08:25 AM
There are some issues with the "Projective texture mapping" instructions (texld r0, t0_dw.xyw), and the old PS 1.x titles.

Purevideo fails to detect some 2:2 pulldown patterns, and it produces interlaced frames that you should not see.

Improper optimizations in the shader programs used by some of the latest games (that the hardware reviewers use for benchmarking purposes): The blur shader used in Devil May Cry 4 DX9 is still broken (nVidia claims a 25% speedup here), and i was replaying TRU again, and i found that some of the shaders are broken now too, and they produce rendering artifacts (rain, waves in the water, Lara's face skin, ...), ...

Some versions of the driver cause compatibility problems with Terminal Server, and the remote machine stops accepting connections.

The best driver that i remember was that 169.x for the Quadro.

Shocky
02-03-09, 01:10 PM
Working scaling options, there buggy, stop the card going into performance mode when using two displays, it's a waste of power. .

StoNer
02-06-09, 12:32 PM
I hope they fix those Z-Buffer glitches that cause textures to blink randomly in and out of eachother in some games. It's really a minor problem that only shows itself maybe 5% of the time. But I remember it from some games such as FFXI and EVE Online.