PDA

View Full Version : Can't update driver in Win 7

911medic
01-29-09, 04:39 PM
I want to change the driver on my laptop running Win7, but am unable to. I d/l 181.22 from nVidia, swap the original .inf for the modded .inf from laptopvideo2go (as usual when installing regular drivers on my lappy), and try to install, but it fails every time. If I run the setup, it looks like it completes, but at the end it says "no changes were made." If I try to update via Device Manager, it says it "found the driver but encountered an error" while trying to install it.

This is my first foray into the world beyond XP, so am I doing something wrong? Anyone have any ideas? I tried setting the setup.exe to run in Vista compatibility mode, and that didn't help.

David power
01-29-09, 05:31 PM
Did you try using "windows update" in windows 7 ?

It found the driver automatically for me and I have a 7900GS in my laptop.

911medic
01-29-09, 06:04 PM
Yeah, but it installs 179.29. I wanted to try something else, as it's giving me choppy video playback. I'm using a 7800GTX in mine.

David power
01-29-09, 10:02 PM
Yeah, but it installs 179.29. I wanted to try something else, as it's giving me choppy video playback. I'm using a 7800GTX in mine.

Well I was never very good with the .inf stuff... dont you just add your card to the file or something like that?

I dont seem to have trouble with my card and video playback here.

How are you finding windows 7?

Personally I think its exactlly like Vista.

jb23fan
01-30-09, 01:32 AM
use 185.20 with modded INF - It has built in Windows 7 support.

911medic
01-30-09, 06:41 AM
use 185.20 with modded INF - It has built in Windows 7 support.I'll give them a shot.

911medic
01-30-09, 06:43 AM
Well I was never very good with the .inf stuff... dont you just add your card to the file or something like that?

I dont seem to have trouble with my card and video playback here.

How are you finding windows 7?

Personally I think its exactlly like Vista.I don't modify the .inf myself; I just generally use pre-modded ones from laptopvideo2go.

I'm generally liking Win7. I skipped Vista completely, so I can't compare it to that. But there's definitely a learning curve coming from XP.

911medic
01-30-09, 08:08 AM
Still no luck. I've tried 4 different sets of drivers. I've tried modifying "ownership" of files/folders on the C drive. I've tried removing the PhysX software installer from the driver package. I can't get any drivers to install!! It looks like they're installing (via the installer), but at the end it says that no changes have been made to the system, and that I can run the installer at a later time to install. It then prompts me to reboot; when I do, my card is listed in DevMgr as a standard VGA adapter, and of course my screen res is extremely low, etc.
Trying to update directly via DevMgr fails as well. Arrrrggghhh!!!

LittleCupcakes
02-04-09, 02:46 PM
I had some trouble as well. This worked for me (after i downloaded the correct, 64 bit version):

Download Driver Sweeper and install.

Uninstall the Nvidia drivers from the Programs and Features menu.

Go to Safe Mode.

Run Driver Sweeper.

Go to Dev Mgr and uninstall the VGA adapter.

Reboot into normal mode, and then try the install. You may want to shut down as many programs as possible before installing, in case another process is mucking things up.

Good luck-that windows 7 is pretty slick.

911medic
02-05-09, 02:44 PM
I'll give that method a try over the weekend. Thanks.

Davka
03-02-09, 04:43 AM
Notice that W7 WU drivers are WDDM 1.1 (can be faster, more featured) and NVIDIA driver for Vista is WDDM 1.0.