PDA

View Full Version : Geforce4 ti4200 overkill for the time being?

Geforce4ti4200
06-01-03, 08:28 AM
I just got the same splintercell and on a stock ti200 vs stock ti4200 the ti4200 is like 10% faster in any res. Of course I would need to run a timedemo to get the exact fps but the ti4200 hardly feels faster and my fps counter went up by 10% I get nearly 9k marks on my oced ti200 against 11k on a oced ti4200. 3dmark has shown the biggest difference so far but in games its like 10% faster :confused: also I would be far better off with more cpu power. I dont regret getting the ti4200 cause its bragging rights for a high 3dmark score, something I take great pride in LOL :D

StealthHawk
06-01-03, 09:32 PM
What CPU do you currently have? Depending on how slow it is, you could be crippling the true potential of your card. The gf4 is should be easily around 30% faster than a gf3, even faster if you throw in FSAA. Of course, if you use AF in D3D games, it will lose some of the advantage.

The gf4 is not overkill either. To truly take advantage of FSAA, AF, higher resolution, and full details in all games, you need a faster card :) Hence why so many people have upgraded from gf4s.

yoladude
06-02-03, 12:40 AM
no, the ti4200 is NOT overkill at this time. trust me....i just bought one ;) . it's a very good card, and will run any current game (including splinter cell) at decent frates. your 4200 should be faster than your old ti200. with splinter cell, you're probably cpu limited. what is ur cpu? if it's slower or around 1ghz, it's probably time to upgrade.
in my opinion, the only cards that are overkill at this time, if you want to play at the highest res and highest detail etc., are the 256 meg cards coming out. but cards like the 9800 or 9700 pros are much much more powerful then the 4200, and still aren't overkill in many current games with all details (e.g. ut2k3) as long as you have decent hardware to back up the card.

jAkUp
06-02-03, 01:31 AM
it depends what resolution and if you like to use aa or not... im a big time graphics kind of guy... so i dont think a geforce4 is overkill

StealthHawk
06-02-03, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by jAkUp
it depends what resolution and if you like to use aa or not... im a big time graphics kind of guy... so i dont think a geforce4 is overkill

Well, he said it was only 10% faster at any res.