PDA

View Full Version : Burnout Paradise for 20$ on PSN

H3avyM3tal
01-30-09, 01:50 PM
Now if that is not THE bargain I've seen in years, I don't know what is.
Downloading now.

Disclaimer:
I said in years just to make a point, so please, wise-ass comments, don't hold back ;)

Medion
01-30-09, 02:58 PM
Was also $20 for the retail version at Target for Black Friday. I got it back then. Still, I suppose I'd prefer the digital version for less wear on the disc drive. If you don't already own it, amazing deal.

Q
01-30-09, 03:37 PM
It's $20 right now at Best Buy. Not sure if its a sale or if its the new Greatest Hits price for it.

Tr1cK
01-30-09, 03:45 PM
Got mine used for 360 a few months ago for $25.

H3avyM3tal
01-30-09, 07:02 PM
Well, we don't have best buy here is Israel, and a game costs up to 100$ here, so this price is as good as we can get for this game here :)

Namrok
02-13-09, 10:43 AM
Just one question. How bad is the rubber banding in this game? I can't ****ing STAND rubber banding. It's why I stick to pgr4.

ViN86
02-13-09, 10:52 AM
i got it for $20 at Target a couple weeks ago. awesome deal :D

then i had to wait an hour to download like 500 MB of updates haha. but hey, FREE DLC! that's even better.

H3avyM3tal
02-14-09, 01:24 PM
Just one question. How bad is the rubber banding in this game? I can't ****ing STAND rubber banding. It's why I stick to pgr4.

Time to ask what is rubber banding exactly.

Tr1cK
02-14-09, 04:51 PM

AI catch up

Medion
02-14-09, 04:54 PM

I'll elaborate on what Tr1ck stated.

If you pull ahead of the CPU, the CPU starts to race unnaturally fast to catch up. Likewise, if you're a complete tard, the CPU drives slower than my grandfather. This appears in more than just racing games, and it's practically EA's trademarked "AI" implementation. Just think of all the absurd 4th quarter comebacks in Madden.

Actual AI routines are too advanced to be implemented in a 1-year dev cycle, so this is what EA resorts to :)

|MaguS|
02-14-09, 05:03 PM
I don't think the Burnout Series has any real rubber banding since I have lapped cars in races often.

H3avyM3tal
02-14-09, 06:15 PM
You can't lap in BO since there are no races with laps I think, atleast not in Paradise. I think there is a some rubber banding in Paradise though. I managed winning when I thought all was lost alot of times :/ But I did lose some aswell.

This game is great anyway, and the latest party pack makes it even better.

Mr_LoL
02-16-09, 11:56 PM
Burnout expansion is 30 on the uk psn and 25 in the shops. Piss off Sony.

Namrok
02-17-09, 10:16 AM
Yeah, the rubber banding is just as stated. I played Burnout 3 a lot. But it just got to be too much for me. I had to make sure I never got too far ahead of the AI or they'd cheat so badly I could never win. Every time I saw "YOU ARE 20 SECONDS AHEAD!" pop up I'd start cursing because I knew that in less than half a second, I'd see all 7 cars pass me at the speed of ****ing light.

Mostly I just can't stand games that break their own rules. If you are going to give the AI an unfair advantage, save it for the harder difficulty settings.

|MaguS|
02-17-09, 10:46 AM
Burnout expansion is 30 on the uk psn and 25 in the shops. Piss off Sony.

Sony doesn't set the prices of 3rd party software...

NarcissistZero
02-17-09, 11:46 AM
Yeah, the rubber banding is just as stated. I played Burnout 3 a lot. But it just got to be too much for me. I had to make sure I never got too far ahead of the AI or they'd cheat so badly I could never win. Every time I saw "YOU ARE 20 SECONDS AHEAD!" pop up I'd start cursing because I knew that in less than half a second, I'd see all 7 cars pass me at the speed of ****ing light.

Mostly I just can't stand games that break their own rules. If you are going to give the AI an unfair advantage, save it for the harder difficulty settings.

Burnout Paradise does not do this. I have won races by amazingly large gaps.

H3avyM3tal
02-17-09, 05:10 PM
Burnout Paradise does not do this. I have won races by amazingly large gaps.

And isn't that wierd? Or is the AI so crappy that I can race halfway through the map and pass no1 a second before the finish line, after I have crashed several times?