PDA

View Full Version : What to get for the Wii?

Pages : [1] 2

CaptNKILL
02-01-09, 11:04 PM
My sister got a Wii for Christmas and she's had it at her boyfriend's house until now.

I've been playing around with it a little and its pretty cool, so I'm interested in grabbing a game and maybe some cheap but useful accessories for it. We only have the Wii, Wii Play and Deer Drive (which is REALLY cheesy).

The last Nintendo system I owned or even played much was a Super Nintendo (other than my DS Lite) so I'm sure I've missed a ton of great games, but I'm mostly interested in things that use the Wii remote because it has a very natural and mouse-like feel to it.

So far one of my favorite games for it is that dumb little Tanks game that comes with Wii play. That's a fantastic little mini-game and I'd definitely buy something similar but more technical.

Are there any action games or RPGs that make good use of the Wii remote and don't feel like stripped down versions of their Xbox and PS3 counterparts?

It seems like 80-90% of Wii games (and almost as many DS games) are overpriced, low budget, cash-in games that are less interesting than the millions of free flash games available online. I want to make sure that if I buy anything or even waste $5 renting something its going to be at least worth playing.

Also, are there any accessories I should pick up?

NarcissistZero
02-01-09, 11:21 PM
*Insert required comment about shovelware and purchase regret*

If you haven't played Resident Evil 4 yet the Wii version is good. It has aliasing and low-res like a mutha, but it's fun, if that's your priority.

I have heard Zack & Wiki is good for people raised on classic adventure games, but I have never played it. It suffers from overly-cute syndrome though.

The Conduit and Mad World are coming, and are probably going to be decent. I hear No More Heroes is good for "real gamers" but I never played it either (wold my Wii).

As for accessories, the Retro Controller is good if you plan to buy some old NES/SNES games on the virtual console. The Nyko rechargers are great to get rid of the batteries...

crainger
02-02-09, 12:02 AM
Wii fit is probably the best RPG on the Wii. When you quit you take your levelled up stats with you in RL.

CaptNKILL
02-02-09, 12:44 AM
*Insert required comment about shovelware and purchase regret*

If you haven't played Resident Evil 4 yet the Wii version is good. It has aliasing and low-res like a mutha, but it's fun, if that's your priority.

I have heard Zack & Wiki is good for people raised on classic adventure games, but I have never played it. It suffers from overly-cute syndrome though.

The Conduit and Mad World are coming, and are probably going to be decent. I hear No More Heroes is good for "real gamers" but I never played it either (wold my Wii).

As for accessories, the Retro Controller is good if you plan to buy some old NES/SNES games on the virtual console. The Nyko rechargers are great to get rid of the batteries...

What does the Wii version of RE4 have over the PC version?

Unless its significantly different, pretty much anything I can get on PC I'd rather play on PC since it'll look 100x better and I'm more comfortable with a mouse. I also haven't even played a Resident Evil game since the demo of the original on PC back in 1996. If its worth getting on Wii though I'll consider it. Its actually pretty cheap on Amazon.com.

Has anyone played Battalion Wars 2, Alien Syndrome or Metroid Prime 3?

Also, do the Gamecube Metroid games only work with a gamepad? Or can you use the wii remote somehow? I doubt you can, but it'd be nice... :o

methimpikehoses
02-02-09, 01:07 AM
Excite Truck.

Mario Galaxy.

/thread

ViN86
02-02-09, 01:15 AM
Wii fit is probably the best RPG on the Wii. When you quit you take your levelled up stats with you in RL.

:lol:

CaptNKILL
02-02-09, 01:28 AM
Is it possible to get demos of Wii games or demo disks? :o

There are a lot of games I'd like to try, but I'm not going to plunk down $50 to gamble.

crainger
02-02-09, 01:41 AM
Nintendo doesn't do demos.

Mr. Hunt
02-02-09, 01:43 AM
Is it possible to get demos of Wii games or demo disks? :o

There are a lot of games I'd like to try, but I'm not going to plunk down $50 to gamble.

No... Nintendo is sadly living in 1990 and they decided to not have a hard drive or demos... awesome, right?

crainger
02-02-09, 01:43 AM
What does the Wii version of RE4 have over the PC version?

Unless its significantly different, pretty much anything I can get on PC I'd rather play on PC since it'll look 100x better and I'm more comfortable with a mouse. I also haven't even played a Resident Evil game since the demo of the original on PC back in 1996. If its worth getting on Wii though I'll consider it. Its actually pretty cheap on Amazon.com.

Has anyone played Battalion Wars 2, Alien Syndrome or Metroid Prime 3?

Also, do the Gamecube Metroid games only work with a gamepad? Or can you use the wii remote somehow? I doubt you can, but it'd be nice... :o

RE4 on PC doesn't support mouse. It's graphics are worse than the PS2 version as the lighting system is just non existent. The Gamecube/Wii version is the best out of them all.

There are however mods for PC version the improve things. Not by much though.

CaptNKILL
02-02-09, 01:53 AM
RE4 on PC doesn't support mouse. It's graphics are worse than the PS2 version as the lighting system is just non existent. The Gamecube/Wii version is the best out of them all.

There are however mods for PC version the improve things. Not by much though.

It doesn't support the mouse? :eek2:

I guess I could try the PC demo to see if its something I'd like. I hated what little I played of the first one more than 10 years ago, mostly because of the terrible camera angles and controls mixed with unforgiving gameplay.

NarcissistZero
02-02-09, 02:17 AM

I guess I could try the PC demo to see if its something I'd like. I hated what little I played of the first one more than 10 years ago, mostly because of the terrible camera angles and controls mixed with unforgiving gameplay.

RE4 on PC has been modded to become the best version of them all, no matter what Crainger says, but you have to download a lot of files. There is a mouse support mod, an enhances lighting mod, texture mods, gamecube version effects mods, etc., etc...

It's fun on the Wii soleley because you can use the Wii-mote to aim, which works well with that game more than others because you have to stop moving and aim anyway, due to how the game controls. It's a smooth experience on Wii, unlike FPS games and others on the system (in my opinion). It looks like total ass though, jaggies are abundant and it's really low res... so, it depends on how much you want to play with the controls in a shooter.

I played through Metroid Prime 3... it was the same game as 1 and 2, but with decent Wii controls (not great).

Mr. Hunt
02-02-09, 02:29 AM
RE4 on PC has been modded to become the best version of them all, no matter what Crainger says, but you have to download a lot of files. There is a mouse support mod, an enhances lighting mod, texture mods, gamecube version effects mods, etc., etc...

It's fun on the Wii soleley because you can use the Wii-mote to aim, which works well with that game more than others because you have to stop moving and aim anyway, due to how the game controls. It's a smooth experience on Wii, unlike FPS games and others on the system (in my opinion). It looks like total ass though, jaggies are abundant and it's really low res... so, it depends on how much you want to play with the controls in a shooter.

I played through Metroid Prime 3... it was the same game as 1 and 2, but with decent Wii controls (not great).

See I personally didn't like the Wii version of RE4 solely BECAUSE of the aiming with the wii remote... I played the gamecube version to death and got so awesome I could snipe ganado from miles away with the laser sight... ok maybe not miles but from a pretty nice distance.

NaitoSan
02-02-09, 04:14 AM
Actually RE4 on PC uses lower polygon count models from PS2 and its cutscene's in FMV format. I believe Gamecube/Wii edition runs in real time and uses higher polygon count models. It's pain in ass to download bunch of mods, etc. 1.10 patch for RE4 PC did make it look a lot better but not as good IMO. Gamecube/Wii edition is still the best version (Wii supports progressive scan, Gamecube doesn't).

crainger
02-02-09, 04:29 AM

Don't listen to Velvet. Sure there are mods that help, but the port is so shoddy, NONE of the mods help it look better than the Gamecube. Maybe better than PS2, but as naito mentioned. The poly counts are lower on PC. Cut scenes are abysmal. Mouse doesn't feel right either as basically it's a mod that turns mouse into joystick.

Maybe get the PC version if you really wanna play and it's like $5 and you feel like tweaking for the amount of time it takes to tweak Oblivion. Otherwise Wii or Gamecube version is better. Of course that's only if you like Resident Evil. I got bored of it myself. LOL

Went back to playing Cold Fear and The Thing (Both on PC with proper lighting and mouse controls).

EciDemon
02-02-09, 07:25 AM
Ok imagine this: Nintendo recently patented some game hint system where the idea is the game will play for you (show)... now I would just love to see that in Wii fit. I could watch Wii fit burn all the fat away! .. Im a skinny guy though XD

NarcissistZero
02-02-09, 05:20 PM
Don't listen to Velvet. Sure there are mods that help, but the port is so shoddy, NONE of the mods help it look better than the Gamecube. Maybe better than PS2, but as naito mentioned. The poly counts are lower on PC. Cut scenes are abysmal. Mouse doesn't feel right either as basically it's a mod that turns mouse into joystick.

I don't see how lack of mouse support, or poor mouse support, is a reason to play it on a console, since consoles have no mouse support either. If you're going to use a control pad anyway, use the 360 one on the PC version... they even have a mod that adds 360 controller UI prompts and decals.

As for lower poly models, I am not sure if there is a higher poly mod, but I wouldn't be suprised if there is. I know there are lighting and texture mods which make the game look great. I know also you can run the PC game at 1920x1200, which is a looooot nicer than 640x480.

I really can't imagine why anyone would insist on playing the console version, other than simply not wanting to bother downloading the required mods and wanting a plug n' play version, in which case that person would always go for console versions, one would think. Cap does not strike me as that kind of person.

Note: I owned the Wii version and compared them, so I'm not pulling this out of my rear.

firehawk
02-02-09, 06:25 PM
i just remembered i have a wii.....that's sorta sad =\

about the only game i can think of that makes me think of good game on the wii is Mario galaxy. the rest all sorta falls in the same **** diff console category

crainger
02-02-09, 10:29 PM
I don't see how lack of mouse support, or poor mouse support, is a reason to play it on a console, since consoles have no mouse support either. If you're going to use a control pad anyway, use the 360 one on the PC version... they even have a mod that adds 360 controller UI prompts and decals.

As for lower poly models, I am not sure if there is a higher poly mod, but I wouldn't be suprised if there is. I know there are lighting and texture mods which make the game look great. I know also you can run the PC game at 1920x1200, which is a looooot nicer than 640x480.

I really can't imagine why anyone would insist on playing the console version, other than simply not wanting to bother downloading the required mods and wanting a plug n' play version, in which case that person would always go for console versions, one would think. Cap does not strike me as that kind of person.

Note: I owned the Wii version and compared them, so I'm not pulling this out of my rear.

Stop pulling stuff out of your rear. People would play console version as it's better.

NarcissistZero
02-03-09, 12:10 AM
Stop pulling stuff out of your rear.

I am not pulling things out of my rear! My rear is thing free! Check it yourself!

EciDemon
02-03-09, 03:25 AM
Re4 PC has a great mod community with many enhancements. Better textures, hdr, motion blur, bump mapping etc etc. Makes the game look rather good actually with all them enabled. Only bugs me the game is locked at 30 fps. But yeah, the GC version did look much better then the ps2 version and pc release is based on the ps2 game.

crainger
02-03-09, 05:12 AM
I am not pulling things out of my rear! My rear is thing free! Check it yourself!

My mouse is all the way up it!

NarcissistZero
02-03-09, 05:26 AM
My mouse is all the way up it!

Sometimes I think I am here, on this forum, merely to set you up, so you can knock them down.

crainger
02-03-09, 01:10 PM
I am a Glorious Strategist.

S.I.N
02-03-09, 01:33 PM

Also, are there any accessories I should pick up?

http://www.fussybudgets.com/Ostrich%20feather%20duster.jpg
You will need it after a month or two as it may sit there for months untouched.

Mario Galaxy is a must have. Okami or even Zelda is pretty good but there also pretty long. Zack and Wiki if you are into point and click games. Medal of Honor Heroes is a lot of fun to play with with the wii-mote.