PDA

View Full Version : Reviews without stating the AF and AA settings.

Rogozhin
06-01-03, 04:05 PM
I was just reading the latest 9800 review, where they compared it to a geforce fx 5900ultra (and 5800 ultra) on the front page and as I was going through it I noticed that he tested 4xAA and 8x AF on all the cards BUT he didn't say what settings he used on the different cards!

This kind of thing is just unacceptable. A reviewers job is to explore the settings, the control panel, and the ingame IQ differences between the settings-and in this review I see NONE.

TOms and Anand to some extent both do the same thing-"oh we ran both cards at 4xAA and 8xAF." No mention of what control panel settings with the af and aa, no mention of LOD and whether vsync is on or off.

I'm just disgusted with the lack DEPTH to most reviews-hell, my 13 year old nephew could do better reviews than I see now!

Sorry for the rant.

rogo

ChrisW
06-01-03, 06:25 PM
I agree completely. Both of those sites have been condemned for a very long time for that practice yet they continue to do it. The only conclusion is they are misleading people on purpose.

Rogozhin
06-01-03, 06:38 PM
I think there needs to be certified evauation team that is independant and can give website reviews ratings.

IT might be something to ponder (maybe even a money maker ;))

Thanks for the support chrisw!

rogo

StealthHawk
06-01-03, 08:43 PM
Tom's always tests at deafult settings- of course with nvidia constantly changing the naming scheme in the driver, and the default setting, you would have to have kept up with that to know what he tested at ;)

DivotMaker
06-01-03, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Rogozhin
This kind of thing is just unacceptable. A reviewers job is to explore the settings, the control panel, and the ingame IQ differences between the settings-and in this review I see NONE.

Sorry for the rant.

rogo

Gotta agree with you Rogo...I read the same review and came to the same conclusion...