PDA

View Full Version : Core temps: WHO can I trust????

sillyeagle
02-02-09, 10:57 PM
EVGA E-LEET is feeding me core temps that are 12-18 degrees higher than the CPU case, with a difference of up to 6 degree between cores.

IDLE: 43, 45, 48, 49 with 31 on the CPU

Real Temp is feeding me core temps that are within 1 degrees of each other, and up to 7 degrees cooler than what E-LEET reports.

IDLE: 41, 41, 42, 42 with no listing for CPU

I would think both utilities are using the same CPU censors to obtain the reading so how can they report such difference, and which one can be trusted? Of course Idle temp is not so important, but even under load I see the same difference between cores as well as the same difference between case and cores.

I'm running 4GHz @ 1.375v on a Noctua cooler, though I installed only one of the two fans.

jcrox
02-02-09, 11:25 PM
HAH!

It seems every app I've tried also reports different temps, I usually stick with Core Temp though.

Buenamos
02-02-09, 11:38 PM
HAH!

It seems every app I've tried also reports different temps, I usually stick with Core Temp though.

same. I've been reading up a lot as far as temperature readings go for my Q6600 and it seems Core Temp is usually the one to go with. I've also tried realtemp which says the temps are about 4 degrees lower than Core Temp and Everest reports the same readings as Core Temp.

The only thing I don't like about Core Temp is that it doesn't show the highest temperature the CPU reached. Real Temp does but is innacurate.

methimpikehoses
02-02-09, 11:52 PM
It all depends on what the program sets as the default tjmax, which appear to vary chip to chip.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/intel-dts-specs,news-29460.html

sillyeagle
02-03-09, 01:25 AM
Tried Core Temp. The numbers look like they do in E-LEET, only they're 2 degrees cooler across the board. Kinda sucks two cores are 6 deg higher than the others, but I guess it's irrelevant. They might be hitting 85 with 8 threads in Prime, but the most CPU intense thing I run is FSX and there they only see 65. The Everest stability test only pushes them to 80, so I think I'm good, and I'll install the second fan on my cooler and redo the paste to be safe.

SLippe
02-03-09, 04:00 AM
Everest and Core Temp are within 1 degree for me.

sillyeagle
02-04-09, 01:21 AM
I see E-LEET is extremely handy for stuff like voltage tweaks. It was quite easy to find out in minimal time that I can get away with only 1.362 vCore and +100mv on the QPI PLL, while I took 100mv off the IOH to get it back to stock with all the others.

I read Jacobs OCing guide at EVGA where he recommends jacking all votages to the spec max and then hammering it to 4GHz, and while I wasn't willing to hit it all at once, I did try the spec max on the ones he pointed out, but I didn't try more than 1.4 vCore.

Too bad I have horrible cooling in my room since my case sits in a corner of my room under a desk which has two walls on either wide of the case, so as I run something like prime the temps just keep going up due to the heat buildup and no ventalation. When air does start moving it's the nearby furnace vent kicking in and filling the space below the desk with hot air. :lol: